What's the easiest way to get started (Java)?
    Hello,

I'd like to get started (as an affiliate). I'm not asking how to make tons of money, I'm asking how to just put something up on my site with as little thought as possible so I can just use it as a starting point. BTW, I'm going to be using Java (which I am fluent in especially when it comes to webapps).

Here's an example of the types of answers I'm looking for, "Just sign up with X and paste this javascript code on your page and it'll generate a whole directory of products for you".

Thankies

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    You mention both Java and javascript as if they were interchangeable. They are completely different animals.

You first need to signup at a affiliate network. Some of the popular ones are Commission Junction, ShareASale, Google Affiliate Network, Avantlink, Linkshare.

Commission Junction
    ShareASale
    Google Affiliate Network
    Avantlink
    Linkshare

Once you have joined, apply to any merchant that strikes your fancy. Once a merchant accepts you as an affiliate, you can then proceed to add affiliate links to your website.

Hi, thanks for your reply but I do understand the difference between java and javascript. Regardless, what do I do after I sign up with an affiliate network and how can I do it with as little effort as possible? That's the part I'm interested in.

Thanks

After you join a network, apply to some merchants & look at the various links they offer. It's up to you what you choose to copy - it varies according to each merchant. Some have product links, datafeeds (you import into your own database).. others just have banners... shared solutions include Popshops, or GoldenCan.

If a cookie-cutter solution existed where you paste one line of code, search engines wouldn't give you ranking (duplicate content), and PPC would be very expensive as the quality of landing pages would be poor.

No way to do this without putting in more than just a little effort.. if it were that easy, some of us wouldn't be working hours & hours to produce original content for our own sites.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    If a cookie-cutter solution existed where you paste one line of code, search engines wouldn't give you ranking (duplicate content), and PPC would be very expensive as the quality of landing pages would be poor.

No way to do this without putting in more than just a little effort.. if it were that easy, some of us wouldn't be working hours & hours to produce original content for our own sites.
    *nod* I understand. I was just hoping I could make something cookie-cutter and THEN put in the work to make it quality.

Thanks for the info.

PopShops offers javascript shops and so does GoldenCan. You can put up several pages of products a day after you have signed up with the networks and merchants whose products are there. They are invisible to search engines though so you will need lots of content or lots of adverti$ing.

Yup, it generally works the other way around..

Search engines reward original content - if you were to add cookie-cutter code first, your site will have a longer climb ...

That's not to say it can't be done, but one of the toughest things faced by affiliate sites is the issue of duplicate content. We all have access to the same products, and same store-issued promotional blurbs... it's what you do independent of this that can separate your site from the pack!

Good luck.. and welcome to ABW

Most programs require an existing website and many will reject your application if your site doesn't meet their approval. A better approach is to build your website first and then apply to affiliate programs.
    Profit is roughly proportionate to effort for any given affiliate, and little effort generally results in zero profit universally.

X

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread