View Poll Results: Affiliate Marketing is...

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • “Being an independent contractor for a given series of merchants” / SteveWilliams | full text /

4 6.45%
  • “One of the last bastions of true independence” / SteveWilliams | full text /

3 4.84%
  • “Ingenious concept conceived by merchants in which we achieve substantial gains in sales revenues through the use of masterful stroking, spiffs and…” / Alan Hamilton | full text /

4 6.45%
  • “Arrangement that usually fills a void in a merchants life once his/her children have grown up and s/he still feels the need to be a care giver.” / Alan Hamilton /

2 3.23%
  • “Arrangement by which a merchant with high self esteem, pays others to try to downplay his/her intelligence.” / Alan Hamilton /

3 4.84%
  • “Partnership between the stocker of goods and the seller of goods in which one does the job that the other has chosen not to do themselves” / Alan Hamilton /

2 3.23%
  • “The art of doing a merchants marketing better than they can and profiting from it.” / Chris Sanderson /

21 33.87%
  • “Affiliates are the marketers that choose to work with a merchant, locate the Swiss cheese holes in their existing marketing plan, and plug 'em up.” / Kim Rodgers /

9 14.52%
  • “Just another decent way to make a living, with the exception of not working for someone else but yourself. You work when you want, with (not for) who you want, ...” / Mr. Sal | full text/

5 8.06%
  • “The hole in the e-comerce doughnut - Joining merchant and consumer in a full circle” / Haiko de Poel, Jr. /

9 14.52%
  • “The hardest easy money I ever made.” / missdonna /

8 12.90%
  • “Online arrangement in which a merchant trusts an affiliate to send honest traffic, the affiliate and the merchant trust a network..” / missdonna | full text /

4 6.45%
  • “For the merchant -- it is a client acquisition channel, a very cost effective one. For the affiliates -- it's a far from ideal relationship…” / VampireSkunk | full text /

1 1.61%
  • “Partnership whereby affiliates are compensated for delivering Internet shoppers to Internet merchants for the purpose of enhancing sales volume” / Boomers /

14 22.58%
  • “Life saver for the physically challenged.” / suniliu /

2 3.23%
  • “It’s where one gets to brag that they are the proud owners of a consortium of retail outlets and several malls, worldwide.” / suniliu /

4 6.45%
  • “Lots of work with usually little return.” / SeymourButts /

3 4.84%
  • “It’s like knowing Grandma's Award Winning cookie recipe. Once they've had a byte, they can't stop!” / ladidah /

3 4.84%
  • “It’s like an octopus (merchant) where the octopus' head rewards those arms (affiliates) that bring it food (sales, leads)…” /25trees | full text /

6 9.68%
  • “Being paid to deliver money-spending traffic to specific merchants.” / visitourmall /

13 20.97%
  • “Proof that hardworking, creative individuals can outperform large, well staffed companies at delivering qualified customers to a merchant.” / visitourmall /

7 11.29%
  • “It’s when merchants use independent sales people in the form of webmasters/mistresses and other online professionals to provide marketing and advertising…” / knight01 | full text /

8 12.90%
  • “Using the efforts of creative and sales-driving independent contractors to further an online merchant's reach, revenue, and ultimately, market share.” / sfcom /

8 12.90%
  • “Affiliate marketers perform tricks for clicks.” / BurgerBoy /

3 4.84%
  • “Affiliate marketers are the carpet baggers of the Internet in today's times.” / BurgerBoy /

4 6.45%
  • “It is what allows access to everyone to the American Dream.” / guinness618 /

4 6.45%
  • “The ultimate expression of self reliance and a pure outlet for an entrepreneurial spirit” / guinness618 /

6 9.68%
  • “The future of retail sales, whether consumers and merchants realize it or not. It is an art, a science, a wish, a dream, a reality.” / guinness618 /

6 9.68%
  • “It is like a swan ... serene and beautiful web site on the surface ... paddling like blazes underneath to keep up with strange datafeeds, bizarre T&C and lovely new merchants.” / Sue /

9 14.52%
  • “Synergistic relationship between merchants and marketing partners in which the marketing partner earns a share of the merchant’s sales revenue…” / PaulS | full text /

7 11.29%
  • “Activity performed by individuals who don’t sleep much, drink way too much coffee, eat donuts (and the occasional pie), and spend a lot of time in front of a computer…” / PaulS | full text /

6 9.68%
  • Mr. Sal’s Five-Stanza Poem / read it here /

12 19.35%
  • “A real way for parents to spend time at home with their kids, while at the same time, earning enough money for their kids to go to college…” / Julian | full text /

5 8.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Lightbulb Affiliate Marketing Definition - VOTE!!
    Over the past two weeks we've had 36 definitions of "affiliate marketing" posted in this thread. I thank everyone who has posted their definitions, and thank you, Haiko, for letting me run the voting in the "Voting Booth" section of ABW.

I have not included the following three definitions in the above poll:

• "We sell stuff we don't own to people we don't know"
    • "Making money in your underwear"
    • and Travis' definition quoted by bredies

The first two were not included due to the fact that their authorship is hard to pinpoint (whereas the latter one is essentially a quote), and in case they win, I simply would not know who to award the prize to.

Above you will find the other 33 definitions: ranging from serious to humorous, from proze to poetry. Some of them did not fit into the "poll entry" field in their entirety. For such definitions I've included a "full text" link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMPORTANT:

1) You may vote to multiple entries. So please pick all of the ones you find interesting before hitting that "Vote Now" button. Once the button is hit, there is no way to add votes to other other entries.

2) The voting will close a week from now, or on Monday, 25 August at 12:10 pm EST.

3) We have a prize fund of $845+ at stake which will be split between 5 winners [full details here]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy voting, and thanks again, everyone who has chosen to participate.

Geno

Geno, thanks for italicizing my entry. Perhaps that will boost my votes.

I must protest the misprint omitting the "A" at the beginning of my definition though.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Geno, thanks for italicizing my entry. Perhaps that will boost my votes.
    It's the entries that you have voted for that show as italicized.

How exactly does omitting the "A" change anything?

G.

Busted!

Without the A the sentence is incomplete...

X

Geno,

Thanks for the great contest. I didn't contribute a definition but I enjoyed casting my votes.

I must say I that I like the originality of Mr. Sal's Affiliate Poem

{I voted for some others too but Mr. Sal's poem is my favorite entry to this contest }
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 18th, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Geno,

Thanks for the great contest. I didn't contribute a definition but I enjoyed casting my votes.

I must say I that I like the originality of Mr. Sal's Affiliate Poem

{I voted for some others too but Mr. Sal's poem is my favorite entry to this contest }
    Thank You for your support, Rhia!

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Thank You for your support, Rhia!
    You'all would make a nice couple.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Talking
    2) The voting will close a week from now, or on Monday, 25 August at 12:10 pm EST.
    Geno,

There are over 45,000 members eligible to vote here, and less than 30 candidates on this election...

So thanks for giving a whole week to pick the winners!

How to bribe some
    of those 45k voters?

You could promise them a but you should show your face first (What's in a Name [avatar] thread) so they would know what they're getting...

X

You could promise them a ...
    He used to promise me a -- he once even spoke of marriage but he dropped me and broke my heart

I still admire his affiliate poem even though we are no longer a number

I liked many of the entries so I cast my vote for some others as well
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

23 votes already in.

So far, Chris, Haiko, and visitourmall are in the lead. Mr. Sal's poem does rock though!!

G.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I voted for some others too but Mr. Sal's poem is my favorite entry to this contest
    I like many of them too, but one read of Mr Sal's poem and I was impressed. Got my vote!

Very good original writing.

28 votes in.

visitourmall and Mr Sal are in the lead now.

Let's see more participation (in the form of votes) from other ABW-ers, please!!

Interesting assortment of definitions, indeed. Good contest, Geno.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Angry
    . .

To be totally honest, I thought most of the "definitions" were rather flippant. Maybe the nature of the contest was asking for that, and I missed something. If so, my apologies.

I did vote for one definition (which is tied for 2nd at this point) and then saw the leading response was just another flippant one.

Did I miss something here? I thought you were asking for a serious definition of affiliate marketing....or maybe most of the answers were lost on me.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    To be totally honest, I thought most of the "definitions" were rather flippant. Maybe the nature of the contest was asking for that, and I missed something. If so, my apologies.

I did vote for one definition (which is tied for 2nd at this point) and then saw the leading response was just another flippant one.

Did I miss something here? I thought you were asking for a serious definition of affiliate marketing....or maybe most of the answers were lost on me.

Jim
    Jim,

My english may not be perfect, but when I saw you mention the flippant word, I search for it.

Adgetive: flippant
    1. Showing inappropriate levity

Ok, so I learned a new word,...........

But that guy is still ahead of me...

How can I bribe some body else?

Tell me about it, I'm in fifth place
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

What happened Mr. Sal, no one would take your

X

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn

Jim
    I don't know if that's the case. Certainly many of them were written in a light hearted manner. But the leaders in the poll seem to be fairly serious entries, with the exception of the one Mr. Sal did which takes a more 'creative' approach. The top 5 or 6 vote getters seem to be pretty decent explanations to me.

Also Geno did ask in this post
    What is it for you? Is it the "hardest money you've ever made" (as missdonna puts it), or is it the freedom to w*rk the way you want to, and at the time of the day/night/week you choose?
    which opens the contest up to those light hearted responses.
    Last edited by knight01; August 21st, 2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added link
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Tell me about it, I'm in fifth place
    That's the problem with us, capricorns...

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Gee. Sure could use some help breaking out of a 3 way tie for 2nd. hint hint
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Talking
    Ok, since the campaigning has begun...

Read carefully and select the entry that most completely defines the subject.

Let the mud slinging begin!

X

Read carefully and select the entry that most completely defines the subject.
    Thank you for that vote Boomers, I'm glad you liked the Food analogy
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

“It’s like knowing Grandma's Award Winning cookie recipe. Once they've had a byte, they can't stop!” / ladidah /
    I guess no one likes cookies? ?????

What affiliate don't like cookies?

Come on, the longer the cookie the better right? ....

(trying real hard here)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast