Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I know you are an affiliate marketer and you make money by just sitting in front of the computer!

After you told someone THaT magic, they seems and the next thing they say is, "TEACH ME HOW TO DO THAT!"

So what do you usually respond? Do you teach them? Or you bring them around the world in 80 days? Or how you avoid the conversation totally?

ABW Ambassador
    My aunt emailed me asking the same question after my grandma told her what i was doing and that i was doing well. I told her first you have to know how to make a web page, learn all about search engines, be willing to spend a lot of hours when you first start out. Told her there's a lot of competition out there, about parasites, and that only 5% of people who attempt to do this make any real money. Never heard back from her.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    only 5% of people who attempt to do this make any real money.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this really only 5% ?

ABW Ambassador
    That's the % i've seen floated around, not sure. I mean enough to quit your job and do this for a living. When i first started i was only looking at this as a little side income, then went full time. I'm sure there are lots doing it just for a little extra income.

I know at CJ 5 bar is top 5% in network earnings, and it takes around a thousand a month to get that or a little less. So only 5% of affiliates are making over $1,000 a month at CJ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> After you told someone THaT magic, they seems and the next thing they say is, "TEACH ME HOW TO DO THAT!"

So what do you usually respond? Do you teach them? Or you bring them around the world in 80 days? Or how you avoid the conversation totally? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say sure, no problem... just read this 800 page PHP manual and then we'll get started...

for some reason that's the last i hear about it

5% sounds right - 95% of people are not going to spend 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week designing, building and promoting web sites... much easier to watch tv and do the day job

[This message was edited by midnightcoder on October 09, 2003 at 01:49 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I'd say it's 5% who don't wind up giving up after a short while, then maybe 5% or less of those who actually make any substantial dough.

Usually when somebody asks the question, I tell them to learn html, throw them the urls for CJ and BF, and tell them that they need to figure it out for themselves.

THe last guy who asked (a guy at the local convenience store) expected me to come to his house some night and "show him". He offered me 20 bucks. pfffft.

------------------------------

All your SERP's are now belong to us. Shall we sell for you? Or shall we sell for your competitor?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    First--Chief_Beef, I LOVE your sig!!!

As for people asking me to teach them, I don't get much of that. When I do, I try to dodge the issue. But if they persist enough, they'll get an answer. And that answer is NO!

If they really and truly seem interested, I'll refer them to this board. I've only ended up doing that twice. Both those people were in sales already, so I figured that at least they'd know the *principle* of sell stuff = commission...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

GOOD GOOD GOOD! I have MEMORIZED ALL of them.

Last time I am good enough to lend them my print out copy of 'affliate marketing' manual. If they are willing to get started, that book did do a lot but look like that guy give up!

Another question I am afraid of

"What is your website address?"

Come on give me some goods tips on the answer, I will never reveal my site address so I need some creative answers!!!

p/s I AM THE 5% (new icon?)

Boy you guys are MEAN !

I just tell them to start by downloading all of Ken Evoy's free eBooks. Though they are easy reads and provide a start , I figure if someone reads 1,000 plus pages and STILL wants to learn , I am all to happy to impart my words of wisdom. ( that takes about 2 minutes )

JK , I will spend the necessary time they need , at the pace they can absorb. And of COURSE tell them to start reading the threads at ABW.

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

I have taught 4 people.

Major obstacles that prevented them from succeeding:

1. Children take time
    2. Afraid to mess up and so afraid to experiment
    3. Did not take criticism well
    4. Had no idea how many hours are required to learn the craft with some efficiency
    5. Could not afford the necessary start up. (Hosting, domain name, computer that really works, graphics software, software)
    6. Patience required to make graphics.
    7. The dedication to sick with a project most went off to play games or chat.

Each person ran into the same problems. I am presently hosting 2 people I trained for free. I’m waiting for them to do well so I can charge them!

"At first our dreams seem impossible, then they seem improbable, but when we
    summon the will, they become inevitable." - Christopher Reeve

What Sandra said. I tried to teach nearly 10 different people.

I always insist someone can make a web page, FTP it to a server, and sign up and navigate CJ before I'll even say anything beyond "REad all the posts on ABW back to the beginning". Don't usually hear back anymore.

Always have a content site with some affiliate links on it to show people who ask for your URL. If it looks pretty, they never ask if that's the site making the money (not).

And when anyone asks anymore, I say I'm an electronic Avon lady, I just make commissions on sales. Kills most interest. Doesn't sound nearly as exotic as totally flexible hours, direct deposit, and never having to talk to the customer.

Caveat's to Sandra's post:
    I take time for my kids, so I make less money. My kids will be around a lot longer than the money.

I hate making graphics. Still do. If I really need a good template or decent graphics, I'd rather pay for it.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I guess you could have a ticklist:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Are you prepared to put in many late nights and early mornings over a prolonged period to get started, even if this eats into your leisure and family time?
    <LI>Are you prepared to learn how to design web pages, create or source graphics, work with raw HTML?
    <LI>Are you prepared to pay for a proper domain name, hosting, clipart, logos, web and image editing applications, traffic, listings etc?
    <LI>Can you program? Fancy learning Perl, MySQL, PHP and the like?
    <LI>Are you prepared to fail? Repeatedly? Are you able to realise when you've gone completely up the wrong track and need to start over?
    <LI>Are you prepared to spend months and years learning how to do it? And to continue learning and researching all the time?
    <LI>Are you prepared to do all the boring stuff? Copying, pasting and editing hundred of product links? Going back and checking everything still works now and again?
    <LI>And finally.. are you prepared to pay me $300 an hour for consultancy? [/list]

Webmistress - nice sig I'm reading Hitchhiker: a Biography of Douglas Adams (US, Canada). Really in depth stuff.. a little dry but interesting.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Did not take criticism well
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Add "Psychologically Deaf as a Post" to that list for the one person I have tried to teach...Technically she can hear, but LISTENING is another story. The end result is that every new thing is learned from scratch so there is no point in telling her anything anyway! Yet she says she doesn't want to learn it on her own.

After experiencing this, the answer to anyone else wanting me to teach them has been, and will continue to be, a resounding NO!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    I face that problem too. Everyone who knows I'm doing this full time wants to know what exactly I'm doing.

So, I just try to sell them Site Build It.

No sales, but no more questions asked.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

I worked for two years for free, LOL! Unless you have alot of financial backing or you are just plain lucky, it takes many hard hours for free, before a profit is seen. I have people writing me all of the time. I feel badly that it is not successful for everyone, but you do have to be able to put that time in to be rewarded down the road, and there is no guarantee that you WILL be rewarded. Hard work and good fortune. You have to have both these days!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I got my T-Shirt! Imagination that!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    I know at CJ 5 bar is top 5% in network earnings, and it takes around a thousand a month to get that or a little less. So only 5% of affiliates are making over $1,000 a month at CJ.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went from 2 bars to 4 just by increasing my earning a small amount. I wasn't using CJ as much as I could, but then I added a few pages. I then moved up to 4 bars. It was only a couple of hundred dollars in a month to earn the 4 bars, and that represents the 80th to 94th percentile. CJ are my 3rd best performing network behind Befree and Linkshare. So I got 4 bars without really doing much with CJ
    So a lot of people aren't earning more than a few hundred a month at CJ

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> First--Chief_Beef, I LOVE your sig!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Leader, though I must say: I sorta got the idea from Dyamoo

------------------------------

All your SERP's are now belong to us. Shall we sell for you? Or shall we sell for your competitor?

Usually people will ask me, "How to make money on the web ?"

I figure ok, I'll mentor this person. The problem is that they want to jump right into a big fancy website with shopping carts etc...I try to explain that they first need to learn how to get and manage traffic, they never listen and then fail.

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by womanht:
    So, I just try to sell them Site Build It.

No sales, but no more questions asked.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, This is my FAVORITE!

ABW Ambassador
    Almost anyone can build a web page. Almost anyone can learn SEO techniques. Almost anyone can learn about affiliate marketing. Almost anyone can learn about datafeeds. Almost anyone can make some money at affiliate marketing. Amost anyone can remain motivated enough to keep making money. Almost anyone can work through the times when no money is coming in. Almost anyone can have sufficient vision to see what could happen even after 3 months of nothing coming in, and keep motivated.

Hardly anyone can do all of the above at the same time and keep going until they make it.

Most will fail, only some will succeed. If you give up, you have failed before you have even tried. If you persevere you can make some money. However, only a small number of affiliates will make enough money to make it a full time lifestyle. Probably less than 5% will make more than the average wage of $22,000 per year (or whatever it is)

Do not think that this is easy money. If you think that this is a way to earn thousands by adding a few links to a few pages then this is not for you. If you think that it is that easy, then you shouldn't even be doing affiliate marketing. If you are willing to put the time and effort into learning, then you could be one of the 5% who make it.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I was one who asked to 'hear more' from someone 'in the know' I didn't want them to teach me. Just tell me how this thing worked. I have spent several months getting much 'better' at it (I think) but they didn't teach me (although, I will take a hint now and then )

Anyway, I believe that it takes a special skill level to really do well with this. Most of the people that now ask me that question really have no idea the amount of work that goes into it and/or they don't have some of the necessary thinking skills required.

I am not one of the 'top dogs' (although I hope to be someday) but I am learning and I have done it mostly myself. Asking 'how's this work' was a great question for me at least.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    --Mark Twain

Well, if I was to help someone, I think I would atleast require them to buy me lunch or something and sign up under me in a few programs, but that's just me.

That's a good idea. That way you get something for your hard work. I hear that you like McDonalds?

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    --Mark Twain

ABW Ambassador
    My explanation: It's like Rollercoaster Tycoon (or any number of sim biz games), but with real money and loads more time.

The difference? A day goes by in 24 hours, not 24 seconds.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

McDonalds just causes the usefullness of the tips to go down, but it's better than NOTHING.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast