Gotta rant a little about dashboard "Search"
    I don't often moan and groan about things with PopShops, because I really love the tool and use PopShops on most of my sites -- but I gotta whine a little about the really REALLY LAME "Search" in the Shopbuilder dashboard.

I just selected EverythingFurniture.com, an SAS program for which I am an affiliate. They have something over 17,000 products in their PopShops datafeed.

I searched for the word "rustic" -- and got 14 results.

When I went to the EverythingFurniture.com website and searched for the word "rustic," I got over 400 products.

What gives? I constantly search at PopShops and get such really lousy results. I have 3 merchants I'm using for one of my websites which have nicely categorized feeds at PopShops. I can go to one that has a category dropdown in the merchant pane, let's say "Cabin Decor." The PopShops display tells me there are, let's say 725 items in "Cabin Decor." If I search for the words "cabin decor" in the dashboard search function, it tells me there are NO SEARCH RESULTS! I can do "cabin decor," "Cabin Decor," "cabin+decor," or "Cabin+Decor" -- and the results are the same: NO SEARCH RESULTS.

Fer gosh sakes, folks, PLEASE find a way to make the dashboard search function at least a little more effective than that, can't you? Or do you need to slap up a tutorial because I may be doing it wrong?

Very frustrating to do searches so you can try to target the auto page creation to "narrow" results and not even be able to see what search results you're getting???!!!!

Rant over for now, thank you.
    Generate more fake news.

THANK YOU!!! I'm having the same problems and thought I was just an idiot....

From what I've been experiencing, I think that the search is searching titles ONLY and not descriptions....

for example, I have a food site that I've added several different shops to..... when I search for stainless steel blade, it only shows 9 items.... all of those items have those keywords in the title.... all of them relate to coffee grinders....

I KNOW for a fact that there are several knives in my shop that use "stainless steel blade" in their description because I've seen them.... but I didn't get one search return for a knife.... I double-checked..... those words are in the description of the knife, but not the title itself....

Ah, so, see there, kayecee?? Already you've proved yourself to be much sharper than I. It never occurred to me to check like that when I have problems. You probably are correct, it's searching titles only.

I seem to recall, after doing my rant and reading your comments, that this has been discussed here before (I was too frustrated and irritated to search the forum here first!) -- the fact that search doesn't do descriptions.

You REALLY need to give that some priority, good friends at PopShops. I think kayecee's and my examples here prove how significantly retarded the search function is without the ability to search descriptions.
    Generate more fake news.

YAY! IZ SMART!!!!

Yeah..... I really, really wish the descriptions were searchable too if that's what's going on....

I also wish that I could use a NOT search feature with it.... using the example I gave, I could search for "stainless steel blade NOT coffee grinder" and have a bigger shot of pulling up knives only....

Uhmmmmm..... Gary.... is the PopShops site coming up for you right now?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kayecee
    Uhmmmmm..... Gary.... is the PopShops site coming up for you right now?
    I will answer this for Gary. The site is working for me.

I have to rant with you guys about the search function. It's been brought up somewhere in other posts before. I think the keyword search should go by product description or title+description, not just by the title.

I also wish that I could use a NOT search feature with it.... using the example I gave, I could search for "stainless steel blade NOT coffee grinder" and have a bigger shot of pulling up knives only....
    I'm sure the requests for that function has been brought up a few times too. For now, my way to NOT SEARCH "coffee grinder" is to add "coffee grinder" to negative keyword list.

Thanks Mayfly.... I have FINALLY gotten it to load..... I have no idea if it was me or them....

Oooooo..... I need to see where this negative keyword list is..... thanks.....

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Mayfly.... I have FINALLY gotten it to load..... I have no idea if it was me or them....

Oooooo..... I need to see where this negative keyword list is..... thanks.....
    Actually it is called "advanced" search located right next to the regular search box. Click on the "advanced" link, it will bring up two search box, "with keywords" and "without keywords"...But even with that without function, a lot of times it still come up with tons of products not related.

Hope I didn't confuse you

Thank you again!

WriterGuy, et al,

Me, too! I have a very defined niche for which I have multiple shops, and it's hard to wade through dang near 2k products. I'm swallowing, because I'm a newbie and probably wouldn't have set up the shops the way I did assuming I'd had more experience. Having search do the full descriptions would be Great!

I had this same problem pointed out to us by one of our affiliate partners, and we've been working on how to get the site search keywords into the SAS feed.

Difficulty is, of course, that no matter how much you brainstorm, it's difficult to predict what keywords an affiliate partner will use to look for products.

I think we've got it now (just uploaded the newest datafeed with search terms aplenty built in... hopefully, they'll translate to PopShops as well, but I guess we'll find out), but I'm sure it will need some more work.

Therefore, I agree - from a merchant's standpoint - that having broader search options would be helpful for us as well.

JMHO

Paul

I have pointed this out several times to Jessie at PopShops. I have a shoe site and was doing shops for brand names offered by Activa Sports. Though their website showed numerous types of shoes for the various brands, I was only getting 1 or 2 results in PopShops. What was happening was the merchant did not have the brand name listed in the title or the desciption. I have found this to be the problem with numerous merchants such as Shoes.com, Wissota Trader, B.A. Mason, etc. The affiliate managers for Activa and Shoes.com both say they had a brand name category in the feed, it was not available in PopShops. Jessie says they are working on it.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Here is the issue as it stands.

When we first launched we searched: Titles, descriptions, keywords, brands.

This is what you got in results:

Everything, with nothing relevant

Many merchants use the keyword column for broad, spammy keywords. Many merchants do things like have categories that say "Pearls and rubies", so if you are searching for a pearl, you get rubies in your result set. Many merchants have descriptions that are loaded with irrelevant keywords that have nothing to do with the items searched. Some merchants use the same, exact descriptions for every product in their feed. So, we are coming up with workarounds to give you more control and better search results.

That being said, we are actively working on search improvements and leveraging the keywords, descriptions, etc that are provided by some of the excellent feeds we have. Unfortunately, this is the type of improvement that is extremely slow in developing.

So, we are working on this, but it's not as easy as a simple check box, just so you know.

Jessie
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

@Jessie: Wow. Who knew it would be so HARD?? I certainly appreciate that post. It helps me see your dilemma. And I appreciate that you guys are working on it.

It probably didn't take much guessing to realize that the opening post in this thread was based on a real example, i.e., the "Cabin Decor" example is an actual category listed in the Black Forest Decor datafeed from CJ in PopShops.

I know all you said is true, I guess I just have a difficult time understanding why the merchant listing in the PopShops dashboard SHOWS 725 items, but a search on "Cabin Decor" produces "No search results." I mean, I know why it's happening, based on what the search function is doing. But I just really have a hard time with it happening. LOL! Makes me want to say nasty things about "dadblamed newfangled computers anyway," or something like that.

@PaulS: Thanks for letting us know about your efforts. I think some of the products from your merchant may work well in the site I've been working on. I'll take a look.

Hey, PopShops people, keep up the good work!
    Generate more fake news.

Developing an effective search to wade through millions of database entries is a difficult task, indeed. The more detailed the search, the more resource-intensive it becomes AND the longer takes. Hence, effective search is often a compromise.

I am sure PopShops is working on improvements, but believe me, it will not be quick nor easy. However, they will get it and they will get it right. (At least as right it can be - given the vagaries in the way feeds are prepared by hundreds of different merchants.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I wonder if it would help at all if either PoPShops and/or Share-A-Sale provided a "Browse By Merchant Category" option... as many times the keywords aren't necessarily in the product title because they are filed within that category (the Cabin Decor would be a good example).

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to create... but it's a thought.

I agree that keyword searches are difficult, because:

a) It's hard for anyone to predict what keyword combinations someone will look for. For example, I added keywords for a lot of the Country & Rustic products in our catalog, but don't have "Cabin" as a search keyword.

b) By trying to predict what keywords might be used, you can end up with a LOT of keywords, and things showing up in searches that they aren't meant to be in.

In the meantime, I know that SAS has the ability to include a pipe delimited SKU list as it's search function. If PoPShops does the same, maybe it's worth asking the merchant to provide that list to you. If they have everything in an existing "Cabin Decor" category it should be fairly easy to extract and send you that list....

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    I have pointed this out several times to Jessie at PopShops. I have a shoe site and was doing shops for brand names offered by Activa Sports. Though their website showed numerous types of shoes for the various brands, I was only getting 1 or 2 results in PopShops. What was happening was the merchant did not have the brand name listed in the title or the desciption. I have found this to be the problem with numerous merchants such as Shoes.com, Wissota Trader, B.A. Mason, etc. The affiliate managers for Activa and Shoes.com both say they had a brand name category in the feed, it was not available in PopShops. Jessie says they are working on it.
    Add Altrec.com to that list. If you search for example marmot aeolos it will show up for other merchants but not Altrec.com even though they have it. If you only search aeolos it will show up for Altrec.com

So I guess because Marmot is not included in the description it does not show up in the search. If the search included all and any keywords the problem would be fixed. Problem is with other merchants that included marmot in the title you would get any results for marmot which would be to many....

Hmm, I hope someone smart can figure out a solution....

I guess it all comes down to what the merchant puts in the title. I first notice this when I was setting up a page for Crocs Footwear. Shoes.com has over 300 Crocs listing in the feed from GoldenCan. On PopShops putting a search for Crocs for Shoes.com comes back with 8 and all have a version on the word Croc in the title. 3 are CrocS and 4 are CROC and 1 doesn't have it in the title but is in the description. Those that I see with a big difference all comes down to what the merchant mainly puts in the title. The less in the title the less chance it shows up in the search.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

i like the advanced search and it gets around the problems mentioned........however, i note that searches for like "tests" will bring up items that say "test", or "lights" will bring up "light"............that is really my only major frustration

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread