WSJ Perpetuates the Belief
    It is just SO EASY to produce a SUCCESSFUL and MONEY-MAKING WEBSITE!!!
    Why, you hardly have to do any work at all!
    It's no wonder people have no idea what affiliate marketing really is...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1218...ature_articles

There are far, far too many problems with that article to list. Honestly, it read like the author found a decade-old copy of Websites for Dummies and decided to dumb it down even further.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Better start sprucing up the place. A new crop of noobs is likely on the way.

Pages for Small Businesses.
    Though, somewhat in it's defense, it seemed to be more about building a site for an existing small business. Making ad revenue seemed to be more of an aside.

Keeping things simple and tasteful, I think I could make a website in eight hours that would be better than not having a website at all. As an example, there are quite a few restaurants who would have gotten my business, and didn't, because they didn't have a menu online. All it would have taken was a contact page and a menu page.

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

I'd like to see the site the author churned out.. including where it ranks on google, and how much revenue it makes...

It reminds me of quote from friend of mine (fashion designer) - just because someone can sew on a button, it doesn't mean they can make a designer garment..

Lately (as a web designer), I have no problem sending people over to the low-cost solutions ("sure you can do it ALL yourself").. if they realize the work involved and come back, I will take them on as a client. But for now, I have enough between a consulting gig & my own affiliate sites.

Most people want something for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    It reminds me of quote from friend of mine (fashion designer) - just because someone can sew on a button, it doesn't mean they can make a designer garment..
    A professional graphics artist friend of mine made a "prediction" of sorts very similar to this statement about buttons. Back in the early 1990s when Macs started to take over the graphics industry he suggested that amateurish graphics design would flood the market because everyone with a Mac and Photoshop would think they were a designer.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Most people want something for nothing.
    That is so true.

I told about affiliate marketing to on of my friends, and I showed her a few of my sites, and she got pissed off at the fact that I make comission from sales.

I regret having showed her anything at all. Anyway she lo on ambition and does not get the concept.

I just sent the following email to the author...

Hello,

Just want to send a quick note regarding the article sighted in the subject. You omitted the most important facet of creating a website, and that facet is hidden in your word “create”. I have professionally developed websites since 1995. Many clients have approached me for help with their websites and I have re-developed some pretty ugly ones. Most people have no clue how to create a presentable web presence in respect to format, color, layout, imagery, and content. It can be summed up in one sentence. If knowledgeable creativity is omitted from the development process, no website at all is better than an amateurish website representing your business.

There is discussion about your article on the premier affiliate marketing forum, A Best Web at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=109221 . There’s a huge volume of information there about Internet marketing that would serve your readership well.

Ed~Byerly
    Boomers Supply Company

X

I wouldn't have much argument with the article if they had removed the word 'successful' from the title.

I received an email today from the author of the article thanking me for pointing her to this discussion. Perhaps her next article will be a little more comprehensive...

X

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    They don't give authors the space for comprehensive (as we experts here would view "comprehensive"), and the average person reading that article couldn't digest comprehensive anyhow. I think it's decent for what it is, with it's article-oriented aims and goals, as I see them. Like others here, I see the use of "successful" as a gross exaggeration - but considering the audience here, that's expected. We'd likely lambast anything attempting to cover this subject in less than a book.

We'd likely lambast anything attempting to cover this subject in less than a book
    You're probably right.

For me, I took issue with the breezy use of the word "successful". Just today, I received an email from a prospect - they forgot to mention they are looking for two sites, not one... they asked if they could assume my price ALSO includes a second site "the only difference would be the content".

Articles like this lead people to believe that you don't need to pay a whole lot for website design & deployment. In reality, you can do anything yourself (fix your car, write a legal contract, renovate your basement), but it doesn't mean it will be successful.

I 'spose I'm touchy on the subject as it undermines my profession.. I've come across people who are swayed by articles like this... after all, if it takes them 8 hours, it should only take me 4..

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread