More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Legitimate Use of Iframes
    I wish to try using iframes in order to keep my pages more unique. I would call up an iframed page with my products so as to keep the parent page more unique. My iframe would not be hidden, nor would it set cookies or cause artificial clicks, so I don't believe this would be a violation of any terms.

My concern is that merchants may think I am doing something unethical if they see clicks (legitimate clicks) coming from a page that involves iframes.

Any thoughts on this?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

http and a telephoto
    I hate pages that use iframes, always have. Includes work much better and have less issues.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I hate pages that use iframes, always have. Includes work much better and have less issues.
    Yeah, I don't care for iframes much either. But I am trying to keep the duplicate content off my page - and the iframed content would not be indexed.

Tired of duplicate content penalties.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Using it the way you described would not be an issue with us. We prohibit Iframes when used to set cookies or framing the merchant site so the affiliate URL shows in the browser but the merchant's site is displayed.

I can see how some merchants may be suspicious if they don't understand Iframes. Then again, if they don't understand it well would they even be looking for it?

Not sure if this is helpful or not
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I have only ever used iframe across my own sites.. figured out a better way using php, then curl...

To be honest, I don't have a problem with iframes as it can be seamless (case in point above), but personally I wouldn't iframe a merchant page. Irrespective of affiliate TOS, it's usually stated in the site terms of use..

In re-reading your note, I may have misunderstood - would you be using an iframe for a page that already exists in your own site..? It can be seamless, but you may want to try curl instead. I'll post the code if you want to test...

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    In re-reading your note, I may have misunderstood - would you be using an iframe for a page that already exists in your own site..? It can be seamless, but you may want to try curl instead. I'll post the code if you want to test...
    No, I would not be framing a merchants page, but rather the content from an existing page. I would frame a table of products fed from a mysql data base onto a php page.

Would curl result in the content being indexed? That is what I am trying to avoid. If this would prevent indexing then I would be interested.

With respect to merchants getting suspicious, I just ran a test page. What shows up as the referring page is a table of products - no navigation just the table of images and descriptions with links.

If products are served from your own mysql database, you can do anything you want! No reason a merchant would mind (I thought it may have been their own pages).

I don't believe iframes are indexed, but you can add it to your robots.txt as an extra precaution.

Funny enough, I would think that your list of products combined with unique content (the parent as you call it) would result in better rankings for long-tail search.. although if you have been finding duplicate content an issue, then I see why you would want to suppress it.

I would go with the