Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ebay booting me
    Dear xxxxxx

During a recent review of eBay Partner Network publisher accounts and site metrics data for clicks your account drives to eBay.com, we determined that the traffic generated from your account is significantly less engaged with the eBay site as compared to the standards set by our other affiliates. While we appreciate your efforts to drive traffic to our Advertiser sites, we do not think that it is mutually beneficial to further our business relationship at this time.

As a result, we will be expiring your eBay Partner Network account in 7 days and we request that you remove all of your eBay Partner Network affiliate links by that time. Payment will take place as per the Network Agreement for any traffic driven to eBay Advertiser sites prior to the expiration date of August 26, 2008.

One of our account managers will contact you if a more appropriate business opportunity arises to work together again in the future.

If you have any questions, please reply to this e-mail. In addition to this e-mail, you will also receive a message through your eBay Partner Network account in the next day confirming this action.

Sincerely,

eBay Partner Network Team

made $xxxx for last 1 year and now they are booting me what shall i do now ?

I wonder if they are going to pay you on the current cycles or make you wait 90 days to get your money.

all my traffic is genuine ! do u think an appeal will reinisitate my account ? or the email is autogenrated ?

I'm not sure really. It doesn't appear that they are accusing you of any wrongdoing, just cutting off the relationship for some unknown reason.

Lightbulb
    regardless, they saw something they didn't like. You should ask them for a clarification of the problem. You might not get an answer, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

xso,

Just for comparison... what is your EPC for the past few month?

I did receive a call and a followup email from an account manager saying that according to their matrix, traffic I generated is of low quality. He suggested that I contact him asap as network quality wants to stop working with me.

I call the rep back left a vm and emailed him to explain to me how is my traffic low quality. I have never heard back from them.

Btw, I have been with ebay since two years ago on CJ. EPC was around $8 or so but since early this year, EPC is down to $5.5-$6.5 range.

~nissii

hi my epc was from $5.5 average a month... more than US traffic the other country traffic was high so my epc was low... nissi r u in epn now ?

Quote Originally Posted by xso
    we determined that the traffic generated from your account is significantly less engaged with the eBay site as compared to the standards set by our other affiliates.
    This says to me that they didn't like your links, the way that your traffic arrived, or the referrer. In other words, the way your links engaged eBay.

X

xso,

Since the last call from epn agent, I am still in epn. No call and no email from them since.

Wow...what the heck is going on ?
    EPN board is filled with the same thing. Nothing from EPN to explain.
    Seems to me at least a post to tell everyone why this is happening would be in order.
    I feel all my sites are ok, but who knows? Many who have been"expired" are saying they were legit also.
    I understand the need to boot bad ACRU sites and operators, but this seems more than that.
    I'm semi-retired, and this is extra income for me,but I know the time and effort it takes to build and manage a quality site. I certainly feel for those that are using this for a large portion of their income,and have been booted-no explaination,and possibly no recourse.
    There is even talk(I know, it's just talk so far) of a class action suit.
    It's sure not the Ebay I started selling with years ago.

many high value affiliates got booted it seems according to threads posted @ ebay forum

Lots of affiliates are being banned for the same thing. No explanation, just the canned email. They could at least send a warning and give people a chance to improve. If we dont know what specifically they are referring too, how are we going to help!?

Ouch! After 3+ years with CJ/Ebay, I got the same eamil last night. I spent so much time and money to build those affiliate sites and traffic, made a lot of money for Ebay/myself(Average $10-20K/month). Never done anything against TOS. This totally caught me off guard.

I don't think I have done something wrong to get banned. This is not just weeding out bad affiliates, it's more like a strategical move. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald3
    Lots of affiliates are being banned for the same thing. No explanation, just the canned email. They could at least send a warning and give people a chance to improve. If we dont know what specifically they are referring too, how are we going to help!?

Self destruction :S Why an affiliate company/ business wants to lose money/affiliates is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by fg20878
    I don't think I have done something wrong to get banned. This is not just weeding out bad affiliates, it's more like a strategical move. IMO.
    Oh, I agree. I'm not saying anyone is doing anything wrong. I'm saying they could at least say WHY SPECIFICALLY they are doing this. Maybe there's something these affiliates can change...

Quote Originally Posted by xso
    many high value affiliates got booted it seems according to threads posted @ ebay forum
    Self proclaimed high value affiliates?

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Self proclaimed high value affiliates?
    That's all these banned affiliates have to go by, their own thoughts... Since eBay is not being specific about any of the bans. Granted, it says in their agreement they dont have to be. But, it's just turning out to look very shady on their part.

I haven't received my eviction notice yet. Hopefully it's just another tech glitch. They've been having lots of problems in the tech dept this month.

Do you think the bug where they've been counting the clicks from rampant robot crawlers might lower the traffic quality that set off an alarm? You might want to bring that up and see what they say about that.

It could be anything. I help a lot of clients market their eBay stores. It's about a 50/50 split of people who got banned and people who didn't. And I'm basically helping them all in the same way... and they all very similar stores. So, I'm really thinking this is something that eBay has goofed up on.

Quote Originally Posted by ePN
    we determined that the traffic generated from your account is significantly less engaged with the eBay site as compared to the standards set by our other affiliates
    This sounds fairly specific to me. Perhaps those that were banned should spend some time reading eBay's TOS and help materials, then do some soul searching.
    Quote Originally Posted by ePN
    If you have any questions, please reply to this e-mail.
    This is the procedure you were instructed to follow with your questions.

Some booted ePN affiliates have been reinstated after communicating with the network recently. There's nothing to lose by trying, and if they stand by their decision, well, so be it.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald3
    It could be anything. I help a lot of clients market their eBay stores. It's about a 50/50 split of people who got banned and people who didn't. And I'm basically helping them all in the same way... and they all very similar stores. So, I'm really thinking this is something that eBay has goofed up on.
    So the clients you're marketing for are affiliates and you're an affiliate too? Are their stores eBay stores?

X

In June, Steve from the EPN forum eariler wrote , "First, as a few people pointed out, 100 sites are a lot to maintain, so make sure that you're creating quality sites that deliver engaged folks to eBay."

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.js...7&x#2010768408

Steve likes to use the word engage. Maybe they are targeting affiliates that use lots of websites (lots of campaign ids) that individually bring in low converting traffic. Some of the victims of EPN expiration have over 50 sites but I dont think the TOS have anything written against building EPN farms. But i can see how managing all the campaign id's can get out of control.

So it sounds like Steve doesn't like lightweight junk sites. I occasionally look at the ePN reports to see what people are buying for any given link. It's amazing how many shoppers purchase items that are completely unrelated to the ones they clicked on from our site. Now that's an engaged shopper. In other words, eBay engaged them in shopping around rather than hit and run shopping. I would also expect that EPC contributes to the equation.

X

The biggest problem I see is that eBay just seems to put out vague canned emails, with no specifics whatsoever. Gauging from the posts here and on eBay's affiliate boards, the people being dropped are all over the map with respect to earnings and types of sites. But no one is getting any specifics from eBay as to what criteria is being used; what exactly is "engaged traffic"?

I have not gotten the drop notice (yet), but I'm fairly small potatoes compared to a number of the folks getting the axe. 90% of all the eBay traffic I send comes from one web site. No PPC/PPA, no SEO games, just one content-based web site that long predates the eBay affiliate program, that people go to for content. I made considerably more when eBay was with CJ, but it's still a somewhat significant (for me) amount.

ACRUS are a tiny percentage of my revenue; a lot of repeat eBay buyers using my site as a portal to eBay. Maybe that constitutes "high quality" traffic; who knows. I have fairly low EPC numbers ($4-5) compared to those being thrown out over on the eBay board.

Right now, I haven't the foggiest clue as to what eBay deems "good" versus "bad" traffic...

Being cynical, I could see this approach as being a way for eBay to have their cake and eat it too: shitcan the highest X% of affiliates for undetermined reasons, yet retain the bottom (100-X)%, thus saving themselves the cost of having to pay for traffic without the negative publicity or stock hit of formally closing the program down...
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast