ABW Ambassador
    Ebay Alternatives
    Just curious if there is anything out there that has potential. I type in online auctions:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...nline+auctions

In the other thread, I talked about half ass. To me, the first and third result:

http://www.webidz.com/ Google Adwords, link buying on the bottom that kind of stuff.

http://www.qxbid.com/ Google Adwords, eh.

Saw one from Adwords:

http://www.ebid.net/index.php?from=g...FQJHxwodvnvZag

US site looks pretty decent, still looking - http://us.ebid.net/

Check out the Antiques
    With Ebay I see (154,134) listings
    Ebid says they have 233,906 auctions

So actually more, not sure how accurate it is but

They have an affiliate program for U.S. but thru Clixgalore UK. Potential? And I see on the bottom they're in 14 different countries.

I think if there is something out there with potential, get them on the right network. Have an affiliate managers that know what they're doing. Add affiliates and who knows.

This is probably one of the oldest topics about ebay... a true competitor. It doesn't exist and never has really.

A few years back sites like Bidville.com were doing well but never came close. Too many issues, and was bought by ubid.com and now apparently ubid closed down Bidville.

Then there were all the "questionable" owners of different sites that have popped up over the years. Seems to attract some interesting people.

The problems with new auction sites is always the same. No real money backing them and lack of sellers to get it off the ground. The seller issue a catch-22. The sellers won't come unless there are buyers and the buyers won't go and stay unless there is something to buy.

There have been some new looking sites, and some very ugly ones. Everyone always wants every feature that ebay has and to me that is a bad idea. I liked it back when ebay was a bit simpler site.

Right now I see no real competitors, even among the ones you mention Trust.

ABW Ambassador
    "This is probably one of the oldest topics about ebay... a true competitor. It doesn't exist and never has really."

I agree.

"No real money backing them and lack of sellers to get it off the ground. The seller issue a catch-22. The sellers won't come unless there are buyers and the buyers won't go and stay unless there is something to buy."

Yep, in the other thread, I was thinking if one had some venture capital behind it. With the sellers and buyers, what you said. Why I was thinking the free listings would help.

"Right now I see no real competitors, even among the ones you mention Trust."

Two of them I didn't like but what are your thoughts on the other one - http://us.ebid.net/

-Already in 14 countries, so they're doing something right.
    -They have the sellers - 1,313,043 auctions. Affiliates could get them even more, plus more buyers.
    -No listing fees, sellers are charged a small final fee when the item sells.
    -They have an affiliate program. At a place I don't like but they have one so they are open to affiliates and know a little something about it already.
    -Voted Best Ebay Alternative, 3 weeks ago, WebUser Magazine, never heard of that magazine but ebid looks decent.

I think it has potential.

Do you think someone could take that, tweak it, make it even better? Get them over on one of the networks we usually talk about here, affiliate managers we might know. Maybe they have good ones already. Maybe a bump in the compensation etc. They're only paying $2 but when I started with ebay it was $4 and a lot easier compared to today where they're well known.
    Last edited by Trust; August 21st, 2008 at 10:26 PM.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    In the USA they have no real competition, but in some foreign markets, eBay have tried to knock out the market leader and failed (China, Japan, etc).

Unfortunately, in most markets where eBay doesn't dominate, the market leader either doesn't have an aff proggy, or has one where only residents can join, or has one where you can only link tot he home page.

Which pretty much sucks.

The big leader for Eastern Europe (runs allegro.pl - check it's stats out at Alexa) doesn't allow deep linking. They used to be owned by QXL, but have recently been bought out by a big media company from South Africa - Naspers.com -hopefully someone there has the knowledge to open up the affiliate program.
    Last edited by Drewbert; August 23rd, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Auctions- uBid and Overstock.
    Both are very very small compared to eBay

Sales wise. Amazon
    eBay is gearing towards Amazon's model, so why not promote Amazon and be ahead now

Trust that site LOOKS okay, but you don't really know until you start really using the site. I think another thing that people have is that a new site needs to have someone pretty big behind it, or at least develop a good reputation. ebid I have no clue about who they are really.

The scary part is I see some folks I knew years ago in the auction biz on the ebid site if you look at their forums.

Are you asking as a seller, or as an affiliate?

For sellers who aren't too squeamish to do true auctions, I think bidtopia looks interesting. There is quite a bit of life on the site- lots of bids and activity. Even so, I think you'd almost have to have either a loyal customer base or a liquidation-type business model for it to work for you. Here's an interesting article RE bidtopia:
    http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/news/...le.php/3764791

As an affiliate...I'm not really aware of anything that looked reasonably comparable for my sites, some of which do focus on antiques / collectibles. I looked at the TIAS program. After reviewing their terms I decided it wasn't a good fit for my particular situation, although at the time I checked, their sellers had a lot of great offerings that I could probably sell my traffic if their program were set up differently. Bottom line, I'm focusing energies on shareasale merchants, and not putting all that much effort into my antiques sites, at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    In the USA they have no real competition, but in some foreign markets, eBay have tried to knock out the market leader and failed (China, Japan, etc).

Unfortunately, in most markets where eBay doesn't dominate, the market leader either doesn't have an aff proggy, or has one where only residents can join, or has one where you can only link tot he home page.

Which pretty much sucks.

The big leader for Eastern Europe (runs allegro.pl - check it's stats out at Alexa) doesn't allow deep linking. They used to be owned by QXL, but have recently been bought out by a big media company from South Africa - Naspers.com -hopefully someone there has the knowledge to open up the affiliate program.
    Drewbert, thanks for this interesting and informative post.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    "This is probably one of the oldest topics about ebay... a true competitor. It doesn't exist and never has really."

I agree.

"No real money backing them and lack of sellers to get it off the ground. The seller issue a catch-22. The sellers won't come unless there are buyers and the buyers won't go and stay unless there is something to buy."

Yep, in the other thread, I was thinking if one had some venture capital behind it. With the sellers and buyers, what you said. Why I was thinking the free listings would help.

"Right now I see no real competitors, even among the ones you mention Trust."

Two of them I didn't like but what are your thoughts on the other one - eBid Online Auctions - Buy & Sell in our Fee Free Internet Auctions for United States

-Already in 14 countries, so they're doing something right.
    -They have the sellers - 1,313,043 auctions. Affiliates could get them even more, plus more buyers.
    -No listing fees, sellers are charged a small final fee when the item sells.
    -They have an affiliate program. At a place I don't like but they have one so they are open to affiliates and know a little something about it already.
    -Voted Best Ebay Alternative, 3 weeks ago, WebUser Magazine, never heard of that magazine but ebid looks decent.

I think it has potential.

Do you think someone could take that, tweak it, make it even better? Get them over on one of the networks we usually talk about here, affiliate managers we might know. Maybe they have good ones already. Maybe a bump in the compensation etc. They're only paying $2 but when I started with ebay it was $4 and a lot easier compared to today where they're well known.
    They just opened up on CJ, $2.50 per reg. for new buyers, some other terms for sellers. When I have some time, will plug a few links in. Have lots of this type of traffic, so should get something.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Serious lack of creative - for US there is one giant banner and one text link, and nothing else. Hard to compete with ebay without the tools.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread