Late Nights are the Best for all of the SPAMMY fun...
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems that when I'm on the boards late at night, it's like the SPAMMERS come out of hiding with the most ludicrous posts ( hey you, wanna buy some shoes...)

What is going through the minds of these people? Do they actually think anyone here would fall for their cr**.

Sorry... just venting a bit...

Paul

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What is going through the minds of these people?
    Probably they think "I'll let the forum-finding-and-auto-spamming script run now, while I go do something else..."

That's why I never bother to post any smartaleck quips in response to that kind of spam. The spammers probably not only won't see the retorts, and they likely don't even know what forums their crap is showing up on.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    That's why I never bother to post any smartaleck quips in response to that kind of spam. The spammers probably not only won't see the retorts, and they likely don't even know what forums their crap is showing up on.
    I know, but sometimes it's just fun to yell at them... even if they won't ever hear you.

Usually the SPAM (and the quip) are gone pretty quickly, but still... it's annoying.

See, they're gone already.

I'm not sure who's minding the fort at the moment, but they're gosh darn quick, I'll tell ya.

15 years and counting
    Well, look from where they are coming from. China? It's just the time difference.

Usually if it's robo-spam, I'm too busy running for the Ban button to quip, anyway. Otherwise there'd be 10 more of the same spams splattered around within a couple of minutes.

Humanly-generated ones, though...sometimes there's fun to be had with them, especially when people respond creatively. Nothing like a spammer's ad being turned into what amounts to an anti-ad, LOL. But in the end, it all goes into the bit bucket...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS
    I'm not sure who's minding the fort at the moment, but they're gosh darn quick, I'll tell ya.
    Someone who should've been playing video games at this time of night (day) or getting ready for bed

I know, but sometimes it's just fun to yell at them... even if they won't ever hear you.
    I derive a good deal of enjoyment just from clicking the red triangle button, it's like opening a trap-door under them. Bwaahaaahahahha

The red triangle is one of my favorite links. One night I clicked it and the time was around midnight PDT. Within about a minute Haiko showed up and removed the offender. That would have made it 3:00 AM his time. Apparently his phone sometimes receives certain messages from the forum and it had woken him up when I reported the spam. To say the least, I felt bad about it and have resisted clicking the triangle late at night ever since.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    The red triangle is one of my favorite links. One night I clicked it and the time was around midnight PDT. Within about a minute Haiko showed up and removed the offender. That would have made it 3:00 AM his time. Apparently his phone sometimes receives certain messages from the forum and it had woken him up when I reported the spam. To say the least, I felt bad about it and have resisted clicking the triangle late at night ever since.
    I don't know about Haiko, but if I was Haiko and anyone wake me up at 3:00 am just to report an spammer, I would drive here real fast and fire the spammer, right after I fire the rooster that woke me up at 3:00 am, first.

There are plenty of moderators here, so at any time there should be at least one available to cover the forum, so in any 24hrs period, someone is here watching the store.

So no one should disrupt my beauty sleep at 3:00 am, just to report a lousy spammer.

Deal With It!

So, now I don't know if I should hit the triangle at 3 a.m. or not..... Don't want to wake Haiko up at 3 a.m., and - I'm guessing - that the SPAM will be easily located anyway... but it is, 2busy said, a very satisfying button to hit.

Paul

I don't think the spam report calls Haiko, likely just a coincidence that he was here doing something.

I actually look forward to my late nights at ABW. When I get cross eyed from coding a site or just need a break from something I come here to report spammers. In fact, I make a game of it, I call it 'spammer hunting'. I try to come up with little quips not for the spammers but the mods who see the reports.

It's sad, I know... but I don't have a life.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    I don't think the spam report calls Haiko, likely just a coincidence that he was here doing something.
    From the horses mouth. He told me he had set his phone to receive alerts and it happened exactly as posted above.

X

Well, I guess - for now - I'll keep hitting the button until one of the Mods asks me to refrain from doing so during certain hours...

Paul

Ya, I am still hitting it even though I hesitate. I didn't intend to pass that hesitation along to anyone else. I didn't ask him, but it may just have been that no mods were available that night, or maybe he just forgot to turn his phone off??

X

Hey spammers,

Welcome to the vigilantism thread!

Just like on the Charles bronson movie "10 to Midnight", don't even try to spam this forum after Midnight, you'll be to hell!

YES please do keep hitting the button, no matter what time.

And yes I do have the notifications going to my phone, and it did wake me up, but no biggie, gotta keep the integrity of the board together. We do have multiple mods who because of their natural schedule do happen to be on while others aren't so it does work out well. And I think we have one of the best mod teams on the net, I'm really proud of them and think they really help makes the difference in reducing the noise and eliminating the spam.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    And I think we have one of the best mod teams on the net...
    I agree. Even in the wee hours of the morning, the reported SPAM doesn't last more than a few minutes before it's gone, gone, gone...

Paul

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread