Don't want to look like a Mac fool
    Hey guys,

I am volunteering to help out with my son's class at his school. On Mondays, I will be helping with lab time -- in a room filled with Macs. Is there anything that I need to know about using a Mac? This is only 2nd grade so they are just running some type of math or spelling program but are there any tips that I need to know about Macs? Like, do I need to turn around 3 times while hopping on 1 foot before clicking the mouse or something like that?

Lightbulb
    there should be a computer aide assigned to that class. although it is the 11th hour, so to speak, I'd call the school and see if I could contact that person with the question

actually MACs chips run the same as PCs, on magic blue smoke. there is some in every chip! and when it comes out of the chip they don't work any more.

LOL, yes. Hopping will help.

I felt the same way when I volunteered for my daughter's 4th grade class last year. You will be surprised to see that lot of the kids will know more than you do if you are not a mac user. I am not, so I was lost. There was even one kid from the class that was helping the technology teacher install upgrades since he was so advanced and "bored".

I do remember from the cheat sheet that the teacher gave out:
    apple + c
    apple + v

is like ctrl + c and ctrl + v !

I am sure you will get lots of feedback here from forum users. I am thinking of adding a second computer which will be a mac but will keep my other laptop as well.

Maybe a quick visit to the local apple store to familiarize yourself with the keyboard and any features. For second graders though I don't think they would be doing much other than pasting in pics, links, and info.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    The thing I always forget when using a Mac is the lack of right click function on the mouse

Try this too

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Actually just found this on the same page, might be even better

It's for Windows users

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Thanks guys for all of your replies.

Herb, I will be on the lookout for the blue smoke!

Ladidah, thanks for those tips. I am hoping that the kids help me out.

Chris, thanks so much for taking the time to post those links. They are indeed very helpful. (And I didn't even know about the right click thing, thanks!)

I have used Windows, Mac, and Linux. Mac by F A R is better and easier to use. Followed by Linux. But have to admit I am still using Windows because that is what is used at work.

You'll do fine Apple is great!
    Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by itsupportnotes
    I have used Windows, Mac, and Linux. Mac by F A R is better and easier to use. Followed by Linux. But have to admit I am still using Windows because that is what is used at work.

You'll do fine Apple is great!

I have always heard that Mac is great. And thanks for the vote of confidence, Doug.

actually MACs chips run the same as PCs

Quote Originally Posted by old2
    actually MACs chips run the same as PCs
    Yeah but for the end user MAC wins hands down. I really wish I had one. I use my wife's laptop. When she has it.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    The thing I always forget when using a Mac is the lack of right click function on the mouse

Try this too

I use right click functions on my macs all the time.

Internet Cowboy

Try this too

I went 100% Mac this year and I am rockin' right clicks all over the place. There is a setting in the Preferences that activates the right click to act just like Windows. Maybe you have an older version or something?

I use right click functions on my macs all the time.
    I didn't know they'd released a two button mouse, Who sells it?

I didn't know they'd released a two button mouse, Who sells it?
    You've been able to right-click on macs for years and Apple's own mighty mouse has right-click, you just have to turn it on in system prefs->keyboard&mouse and then the right side of the mouse is a right-click button.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Any USB mouse with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel will work fine on a Mac.

Even a Microsoft mouse (which is far better than any SOFTWARE they've ever produced).

That's the idea behind the MacMini. You buy it, and unplug your keyboard mouse and screen from your existing Windoze PC, and plug then all into the MacMini and you're good to go.

ha...learn something new every day thanks for that, good to know next time I end up with a Mac in front of me

I haven't used a Mac mouse in years, and never had to enable anything to use right clicking with the OS.

I have used logitech, razer mice, and several others without any issues. Right click has always worked.

I think since the mac mini it's been that way since you had to BYOM when you bought a Mac Mini. On my Mac Pro I use a razer diamondback mouse. Scroll wheel, right click, etc all work perfectly.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread