xsitepro and rss feeds & CJ
    A week or so back I saw some posts about xsitepro. So, I have been reading up on it and have some questions.

Has anyone used it and if so. I have a couple questions and I thought this was probably the best forum for it. Bear in mind I don't know anything about RSS.

1) Do you like it?

2) Is the creation and use/management (whatever the term) of the RSS feeds easy, so that I (with no RSS feed knowledge) could pull product listings from the eBay RSS feed and do so by titles, price, etc. (ie like BANS)?

3) Could I also do the same thing and easily pull from my cj advertisers, who have an RSS feed. And what about Amazon.

3) If 1 & 2 are "yes", could I put eBay and CJ/Amazon products on a single page or would I only get one or the other on a page?

XSite Pro's RSS implementation is very easy to use and it's easy to format the results to blend with your page BUT

and this is a big but

it's implemented as java code, which the search engine spiders can't read.

That means, your visitors will see the content, and you might make some affiliate sales if the feed has your affiliate link embedded in it, but you won't gain any SEO benefit.

To get the most out of RSS you really need a script which converts the RSS into html, so the output appears in the html source code and the spiders see fresh relevant content each time they visit.

CARP is what I use - there's a free version and a paid version where you can control the formatting more. Just google 'carp' if your'e interested.

Not sure I understand
    VampireSkunk,

Thanks, not sure I understand all of it. But after googling and reading, it appears that caRP only does the RSS feed part, not everything else.

Can the caRP be used in connection with Xsitepro, so that you get both?

Brent

sorry, didn't want to confuse you.

It's probably possible to integrate carp into Xsite Pro, but I gave it up as too much hassle when I tried.

I own Xsite Pro, but not sure if I would recommend it. It kind of forces you to do things their way, and I like more flexibility and control.

On the other hand, it has some very useful features too, and if you're not familiar with html or comfortable with building a website it could be what you need to get started. It's a shame they don't offer a money-back guarantee so you can try it out. Very difficult to advise - if you're in any doubt as to whether you can afford it, I would advise against it.

By the way, there aren't that many merchants offering affiliate RSS feeds - I don't know of any on CJ. I use carp mainly for the eBay RSS feed.

Are you maybe confusing RSS feeds with merchant datafeeds? - if you're thinking of datafeeds neither XSite Pro nor carp will help you with those.

I guess I thought datafeeds were RSS feeds. Is there software out there that would let me do it?

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread