Ebay Official Reply to the Expirations of Accounts
    I wanted to address all of the board posts regarding the expiration emails that were sent last night.

These actions were part of our continued effort to focus on delivering the highest quality buyer traffic to eBay via affiliate marketing. To that end, we’ve been analyzing our program closely over the last few months. I know there have been a number of requests to provide insight into all of the metrics via which we are evaluating affiliate traffic, but unfortunately there’s an active black hat community that is pretty effective at exploiting these insights so we can’t go into details on them. However, what I can say is that in addition to earnings per click metrics (EPC), we look at a variety of metrics to see how users are behaving when they come to eBay.com – how engaged they are with our site, and whether the affiliate link clicks lead to incremental buying activity. As we’ve done this, we have seen a big discrepancy in how interested and active the traffic is that comes to eBay from different sources.

Our responsibility in the affiliate marketing channel is to allocate our resources to best drive incremental demand to our sellers. To that end, we need to focus on partners who have had the most success in engaging users who become some of our best buyers on eBay. I understand that these actions do have a very real impact on some of our affiliates who have been working with us over the years. For that, I sincerely apologize, but these decisions are made in the best interest of eBay's sellers and the overall health of our affiliate program.

We want to be very clear. Affiliates who received these messages of expiration last night are not being asked to stop sending traffic to us due to fraudulent activity or violations of the terms of service. For those of you who received the message, commissions are not being reversed, and you will be paid for all valid traffic you have sent to us to date, and for the next 7 days.

Sincerely,
    Steve
    reference: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.js...adID=520001583

steveh@ebay.com,

Just wanted to follow up on Pixelrage's earlier post:

Nice to be compared to black hatters - too. I've been in web development for 10 years and search engine optimization for 4 years, and have been a hardcore white hatter every inch of the way, but it sure feels good to be stereotyped due to a faulty algorithm and prompt quick fix by your company. Not an endearing quality, ebay.

I was really trying to be clear in my original post that we're in no way comparing folks who were expired to black hatters. I know there are a lot of white hat folks who have been working hard on building businesses who were affected by this, and while this is probably of little consolation, please know that the decisions were not made lightly.

For the folks on this thread who remain in the program who are concerned about their status or innovating with their affiliate sites, I want to reiterate that we're looking for you to drive users to eBay who are going to be engaged with the eBay site and who are making incremental purchases based on your affiliate marketing efforts. We're going to continue to innovate on our side to try to bring you the best platform and tools possible to generate affiliate revenue and hope that you continue to innovate on your side as well with your efforts.

Steve
    Again they are burying themselves in the dirt.

Now ebay is saying these efforts are against blackhatters (apparently cookie stuffers) and ebay feels even if innocent people are hurt, oh well. Tough cookies so to speak.

Did ebay learn nothing in the 5+ years from operating off CJ on how to run an affiliate program?

Here is a reply that one affiliate got apparently:

Dear Jay,

Thank you for your message.

Our goal in affiliate marketing is to allocate our resources to best
    drive incremental demand to our sellers. We have been analyzing our
    program closely over the last few months. In addition to looking at
    earnings per click metrics (EPC), we look at a variety of metrics to see
    how users are behaving when they come to eBay.com - how engaged they are
    with our site, and whether the affiliate link clicks lead to incremental
    buying activity. As we've done this, we have seen a big discrepancy in
    how interested and active the traffic is that comes to eBay from
    different sources.

As a result, we have asked a small subset of affiliates to stop sending
    traffic to eBay. We understand that these actions do have a very real
    impact on some of you who have been working with us over the years. For
    that, we sincerely apologize, but these decisions are made in the best
    interest of eBay's sellers and the overall health of our affiliate
    program. We also want to clarify that you are not being asked to stop
    sending traffic to us due to fraudulent activity or violations of the
    terms of service. You will get paid for all the valid traffic sent to
    date, and for the next 7 days.

At this time, we unfortunately cannot reconsider our decision on your
    account. We will contact you again if we see an opportunity to work
    together again in the future.
    STOP sending traffic! We don't WANT YOUR traffic!

15 years and counting
    I'm glad I'm not an ebay affiliate.
    So they don't want to tell you what they are looking for. They can deactivate you just because they feel your traffic sucks. No proof, no data, nothing.
    Well, I've never bought or sold anything on ebay because I think ebay sucks.
    They are the people helping crooks to sell stolen goods or counterfeit products everywhere in the world.
    I hate their business model. And, I've a hard time to understand why they have been so successful.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    There are many affiliates being banned, some with 6-figure incomes! Read at http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.js...=1219439556395

This is the most incredulous action I have ever encountered as an affiliate marketer. I may very well start replacing their links now as a preemptive measure!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Why the hell is eBay upset with getting traffic that isn't 100% good? Surely their costs for serving up webpages to 70% good traffic is low enough to not worry about?

Since they only pay out for conversions, this reeks of management stupidity.

Fire anyone at eBay that has MBA after their name and everything will come right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    There are many affiliates being banned, some with 6-figure incomes! Read at http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.js...=1219439556395
    Well, the first post that I checked claiming a six figure income from eBay has no current listings, has no completed listing displayed, has a FB score of 107, and their DSRs are dismal. They were auctioning "Mystery" items in '07. This is not to say that they have another eBay account they were selling from, but...

If I had time to check them all out I'd bet the story would be similar for most.

More good reading about this at Ebay defines "Engagement" and what they want

X

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Why the hell is eBay upset with getting traffic that isn't 100% good? Surely their costs for serving up webpages to 70% good traffic is low enough to not worry about?
    I don't believe I've read anywhere that dBay is "upset with getting traffic that isn't 100% good". That's conjecture...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Since they only pay out for conversions, this reeks of management stupidity.
    Fire anyone at eBay that has MBA after their name and everything will come right.
    And this is emotional drivel...

X

Not very good news. NG do you have a link to those posts?

We have stopped working with eBay a way long time ago, after many issues on their end and ours, my account is still active with them but I just don't produce any leads or sales anymore, so I really don't care about it for myself but it seems like the party isn't over and the good guys are getting expired and their accounts closed, huh?

They did one of the stupid decisions to move away from CJ, I already felt by then it's not gonna work (it raised a red flag for me), I have nothing to complain about them for myself but after reading this I think I will send them a message asking them to expire myself from the program with the reason - the information mentioned above.

Not very happy to see this, they don't learn from mistakes, and they're going to screw it up if they don't change it.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread