Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How to Make Someone Understand about Get-Rich-Quick Deals
    Hi all,

My sister-in-law is quitting her job where she is very well paid to do one of those "Enter Rebates for $15 a Piece" scams. I have tried to explain to her about this type of thing but she just says, "Oh, OK", you know, in one of those "Yeah, Right" type of voices. Do I let her just go ahead and do it? She is planning on getting up at 5am and entering rebates for 2 hours each day (which she is counting on entering at least 8 rebates every day).

What's your take on this?
    Last edited by bettylou; August 23rd, 2008 at 08:17 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    You tried to help her, at this point, let her learn the hard way. Some people can see someone touch a hot stove and get burned and learn not to do it. Some people need to touch the hot stove and some of them a few times before they get it.

Thanks Trust,

I guess I feel a little bit responsible. They know that I "work online". After speaking with her about this, I kind of see why they think that I "don't do anything" (and yes, that is a quote that they have said to me). There is the evil part of me that wants to let her do it since that is how they feel about me but, then that darn nice part says to try to stop her.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    You did warn her already, but you could suggest that she try it part time BEFORE quitting her great job.

Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    Thanks Trust,

I guess I feel a little bit responsible. They know that I "work online". After speaking with her about this, I kind of see why they think that I "don't do anything" (and yes, that is a quote that they have said to me). There is the evil part of me that wants to let her do it since that is how they feel about me but, then that darn nice part says to try to stop her.

And of course - there are some people that nobody can tell anything. They always have to learn everything the hard way.

And then when it doesn't work out it is always someone elses fault and not theirs.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    And of course - there are some people that nobody can tell anything. They always have to learn everything the hard way.

And then when it doesn't work out it is always someone elses fault and not theirs.

Burger Boy, you must know my in-laws.

Wink
    Burger Boy, you must know my in-laws.
    All in-laws are like that....

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Ask her if she's required to pay $197 up-front. )
    Did a little search for "rebate processing scams", looks like basically all they do is get you to sign up w/clickbank. The 'rebate' is just whatever you offer people as an added incentive to buy whatever ebook you are pushing.
    It seems more like 'incentivized affiliate marketing' than 'rebate processing'.

Just another misleading scam.

Thanks Trust,

Don't put yourself through a guilt trip. You warned her. She is just like the millions who go online thinking they can do nothing and make something. Heck, doesn't all the online advertising tell them it's easy to get rich? You're not going to change her mind.

Jim
    [URL=http://www.moonshadowsfarm.com]MoonShadows Farm Country Store[/URL]
    Business Opportunities - 4 Ways to Make Money
    Affiliate, Drop Ship, Wholesale & Associate Downline

There is some background information that will help figuring out her motivation to leave an excellent job.
    How old is she? is this a dream of her? can they afford the adventure......
    Anyway, I belive you'll not be able to stop her and you probably should not do more than what you did already.
    If she will not try she will feel like missing something always.....
    Perhaps you can try and teach her about the other Online opportunities.

I found out (the hard way) that we learn things the hard way most of the time.

I would - as noted above - try to convince here to start it part time and see how it goes before quitting her job.

If you know the company she is planning on "working" for, see if there's anything on Google that might help open her eyes as well.... (after all, since you work online, you can find these things through your "connections" in the online world).

If, despite everything, she still won't listen, then there's nothing you can do about it... but I think you do need to try.

Paul

From your post, you have already warned her about the type of work she wants to do online. If she doesn't listen to you, it's her fault, not yours. Some people have to learn the hard way, so it will be a hard lesson for her to learn, especially if she has a good job already.

The only other thing I would do is ask her if it's possible to get her job back if she does quit, or try to convince her to "test the waters" part-time while keeping her day job.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Sometimes you have to let people learn. I tried to warn someone very close to me and I was surprised at how nasty the situation turned.

I was only trying to help but they didn't take it that way and they went off on me and got VERY personal. Luckily the persons spouse was listening and told them to shut up and listen but I've learned my lesson.

Funny thing is the next day they called me and asked if I knew how they could get their $500 back.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Do I let her just go ahead and do it?
    This is an issue that applies to everything we do (and learn) in life. We can advise others, but we should never expect them to forego hands on experience because "we" tell them not to do it. People have to experience things for themselves in order to actually have a valid knowledge of what works and how to spot what does not.

As a caring relative, your concern is well founded and your intentions are good. But you also have to let her learn from her own experience lest her only knowledge base becomes what someone else "told" her to do or not to do. Experience is a wonderful teacher from which much benefit is gained.

I tried and failed at lots of things when I was younger and learning my lessons. My parents, siblings and others who cared about me worried for me every time I did, and often advised me not to do it. But the only way to truly acquire a working knowledge of what you do not personally know is by "doing." I failed at the first 5 or six ventures I tried as a young man, and each time I failed, I learned a little bit more about what TO do, and what NOT to do the next time. I used the lessons I learned by "doing" to eventually build a very successful business, then another, and another. Today, I have a very comfortable life and the knowledge that I can always make money. Yet, if I had followed all of the "don't do it" advice I got from relatives and friends back then, none of it would have come to pass.

Entrepreneurial success is developed through experience, and it is a wonderful learning tool for those who want to venture out of the safety of the harbor and discover the open sea. Imagine how empty a persons future would be if their decisions about how to rise above the norm were based on what someone else tells them will or won't work. Why deprive them of that enriching experience? With all ventures comes risk, and from all ventures comes experience and a working knowledge of the up, and the down sides of chosen pursuits.

Like any good person, you are concerned. You would like for her to avoid pitfalls because you don't want her to go through the anxiety or temporary hardship that entrepreneurial adventure can bring. But she will never gain experience if she does not go get the experience. The Upside of what she is about to do is that she will learn from it and proceed from there, so wish her well and let her gain that experience.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Agreed. I wouldn't even try anymore if it wasn't for the "sister-in-law is quitting her job where she is very well paid " part.

That's a bit more of a permanent "ouch" than I'd like to see happen to anyone on one of these "make money" programs. Unless of course, she was planning on quitting her job anyway.

To be honest, even the Scams can have value in lessons learned... so it might not be the end of the world to let her try it, but (and I'm repeating myself, I know) try your best to convince her to try it for a month before she quits her job.

You can explain it like it's one of the benefits of the program she's looking at... where else can you change jobs on a "trial basis"??

But - as other's have said - if she won't listen, then there's nothing else you can do.

Just a quick update on this:

I spoke with her and she has done some type of instant messenger interview with a business that is going to send her a $750 check to purchase a new laptop. Help me out here, how is this helping to make this business any money? They told her something like, "Take the check to the bank and cash it and then purchase the laptop with that money".

Just a quick update on this:

I spoke with her and she has done some type of instant messenger interview with a business that is going to send her a $750 check to purchase a new laptop. Help me out here, how is this helping to make this business any money. They told her something like, "Take the check to the bank and cash it and then purchase the laptop with that money".
    Not real sure, but I think it goes something like this: They send her a cashiers check for more than the $750.00 with some flaky explanation as to why it's more. Not to worry, just cash the check and send them back the difference. By the time her bank realizes that the cashiers check is phony, she is out whatever amount she sent her new employers, not to mention she paid for the laptop herself.

I could be wrong, but she really needs to check these folks out before moving forward.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Woah...... She needs to check this out very carefully! We've gotten "checks" for items before.... the "check" has a lot of tiny fine print attached..... turns out it's nothing more than a loan with a bigass interest rate....

Can you get the name of the company and investigate it yourself?

I've also seen the scheme rematt mentioned.... this does not sound legit.... she really, really needs to proceed with caution....

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Not real sure, but I think it goes something like this: They send her a cashiers check for more than the $750.00 with some flaky explanation as to why it's more. Not to worry, just cash the check and send them back the difference. By the time her bank realizes that the cashiers check is phony, she is out whatever amount she sent her new employers, not to mention she paid for the laptop herself.

I could be wrong, but she really needs to check these folks out before moving forward.

-rematt

It is a cashiers check.

*big old red flag goin' up*

I'd tell you to Google the name of the company, but you may not find anything... by the time everyone realizes that they've been scammed and the company name starts getting negative press, they've closed shop with that site and reopened another under a different name and started all over with their con job....

Let's not over-analyze this! She is set on a course. I don't think there is much you can do....just like when most of us got started and had to learn the hard way. Stop trying to be a savior and drop the guilt. This is beginning to read like a soap opera....remember...she is her own person. Sorry if this "conflicts" with other opinions, but let's be realistic here. She is on an idealistic dream hunt for fortune....you are not going to change that! She WANTS to believe this will be the answer to all her financial needs and more. Back out, or you certainly WILL be the blame, in her distorted thinking, when she fails.

Jim
    [URL=http://www.moonshadowsfarm.com]MoonShadows Farm Country Store[/URL]
    Business Opportunities - 4 Ways to Make Money
    Affiliate, Drop Ship, Wholesale & Associate Downline

Jim..... there's no harm in explaining to her the type of con that rematt mentioned.... that way, she "might" hold off on quitting her job until she has the check in her hand.....

IF it's only for the $750 and there aren't any strings attached, she'll be smug when she cashes it and more power to her if she's found a legitimate opportunity....

IF she receives it and it's for $1,000 or whatever, she'll be forewarned with the knowledge that she's about to lose a grand if she cashes it....

I'd hate to see someone lose money to a con artist AND lose a nice-paying job to boot.... especially with the economy in the shape that it's in....

I do agree with Jim about one thing though..... don't heap the guilt upon yourself.... if you've warned her that cons are out there on the internet and that there is no true get-rich-quick scheme, it's not your fault if she jumps into this.... you can tell her until you're blue in the face that you work your arse off each day and she'll probably still envision herself raking in the dough for little to no work....

It seems now that her own mother and sister have jumped on MY bandwagon.

I think they have talked her in from the ledge. They googled the business and found some bad stuff. Still not sure what she will do but now she is armed with the knowledge from folks other than me and can make her own decision.

Thanks guys for your help and advice. I will let you know what she decides and how much money it costs her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast