merchants without affiliate programs
    Hello to everybody. Iím new to affiliate marketing business and I would like to ask you a question. Iím not really sure this is the right section for this message Ö

Iím building an affiliate web site for a niche that in my opinion has a lot of potential in my country. However, the well-known merchants of this field donít have an affiliate program or an account in an affiliate network.

I would like to know if some of you have experiences in this matter as affiliates. How did you approach to them? or how should I do it?.

Thank you for your help and your time.

Affiliate Manager tuccinimarketing's Avatar
    Lightbulb Merchants WITH Affiliate programs!
    If you are just getting into affiliate marketing, you have to work with merchants whose programs are available to you.

There are many merchants who do not use affiliate marketing as a channel, many others who failed in it and quit, many others with exclusive programs which are not open to general public...

And there are MANY merchants whose programs are available to you, new starters, under performers, low quality, low traffic, low PR sites. There are merchants who need this tail-end of the quality, targeted web traffic. these merchants would assume the risks of working with inexperienced affiliates as the rewards may outweigh the risks for them.

Your "approach" to well-known merchants to join their programs or to suggest them to enter into affiliate marketing channel would simply be an annoyance to them. As you are a "starter", work with programs available to you, learn the business, gain experience, outperform other starters, outperform yourself! and you will see more opportunities coming to you, rather than you seeking them!

http and a telephoto
    I disagree, many merchants aren't aware of the affiliate marketing channel or how it can benefit their business. If you have sites that are getting traffic that you want to monetize that need merchants that do not have affiliate programs, contact them and explain what you are doing and then suggest that you put them in touch with a consultant that can help them OR just suggest that they do a private referral program with you as a test OR suggest them purchase advertising on your site to see the type of traffic you are able to send them.

Many companies online are thinking about affiliate marketing but if they don't know there are websites out their ready to send them traffic, they procrastinate about looking into it further.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Deb is right. Especially if you can help with a niche product, they will be motivated to work with you. On the flip side, it makes it more attractive for an OPM like us to want to take on a new niche. The toughest part is finding the niche affiliates. I know that some top affiliates on this forum have grown by finding niches to serve.

Affiliate Manager tuccinimarketing's Avatar
    Lightbulb
    I stand corrected. You "can" approach a niche merchant and ask to partner with them. I did so a few times before to no avail. Maybe I was picking the wrong niche, who knows.

One other thing to consider before approaching to merchant is to make sure the merchant is capable and willing to do business in your country. Most merchants have heard of or aware of affiliate marketing. If not, they are aware of partnership marketing. Every merchant would have its own reasons to utilize or not to utilize certain channels to market their products or services. if there are merchants in your niche who are willing to work with you and who are already doing affiliate marketing, I still suggest trying them first... Once you gain experience and show performance, it will be much much easier to convince your "preferred" merchant to partner with you.

Thank you all for your answers. I have the feeling that I'm going to learn a lot in this forum.

To tuccinimarketing:
    Once you gain experience and show performance, it will be much much easier to convince your "preferred" merchant to partner with you.
    I totally agree with you, and I shall approach the merchant when the time is right. At this time there is only one merchant that offers an affiliation program. I will definitely start with that one first, and I will approach the others latter. The thing is that is the others I'm interested in .

To Debbie:
    suggest that you put them in touch with a consultant that can help them OR just suggest that they do a private referral program with you as a test OR suggest them purchase advertising on your site to see the type of traffic you are able to send them.
    I got the general idea and I'm already thinking of ways to proceed but could you please be a little more specific since you are the expert and I would like to know how would you do it exactly, if you don't mind of course. I already though of a test phase of some sort but I wasnít sure how to proceed in order to be both effective and professional.

To Chuck:
    I know that some top affiliates on this forum have grown by finding niches to serve.
    Hopefully I'll become one of those too .

Thank you again for your answers.

Arunas
    Last edited by amazeika; August 25th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread