Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Target adds BYOL, sort of, emails MAJOR INSULT to affiliates
    Those if us who primarily build our sites with individual product links and who had done well with Target when they were with LS have now waited about 16 months for Target to have BYOL available on Pfx, whoops, GAN.

Well, they just sent out an email saying that BYOL is now available, but only for those affiliates who are too stupid to be able to build such links, but have to take and pass Target's training course on how to do it:

Dear xxx,

Target dot com is pleased to offer Build Your Own Links (Deep Linking) to select publishers, allowing our valued partners to create tracking links to the Target dot com products of their choice. Use BYOL to feature holiday gifts, stylish home décor and trendy fashion items that you know your visitors will love.

To participate in the BYOL program, you must click here and request BYOL training, as there are specific Target dot com requirements. After completing the required tutorial, Google Affiliate Network will enable the BYOL feature in your ConnectCommerce account for Target dot com.

When creating your own links, please be sure to test each link to ensure proper tracking. Target dot com and Google Affiliate Network want you to receive proper commission for your sales, but cannot be responsible for faulty tracking from links that were built incorrectly.

Thank you for your continued partnership and suggestions on how to improve the Target dot com program.
    For almost a year and a half, they do not have this vital option available, and they refused to respond to any emails about when this will be available or post any information whatsoever. Now, they insult us further, by saying we have to let them train us on using a tool than we've been using for years?

They can go take a long walk on a short pier.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

As the email said, there are specific requirements, so maybe the way they are going to do it will be different than you are used to and they want to you to make sure you do it they way they require?

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    As the email said, there are specific requirements, so maybe the way they are going to do it will be different than you are used to and they want to you to make sure you do it they way they require?
    Unless they have a different ConnectCommerce BYOL interface, I don't see how there could be a "different way". But if so, why didn't they just give all their affiliates access to BYOL and email the list of requirements?
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

If you already know how to use BYOL, then the training should be really easy. I don't see this as an insult, but rather a prerequisite required by the merchant, like getting approval on ad copy for email campaigns or PPC campaigns. Some merchants just control their programs more strictly than others.

They might also want to get an idea of just who is using BYOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

maybe not everyone knows how and they want to save themselves having to answer tons of emails. Just make everyone do it, how are they to know who does or doesn't know how to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    maybe not everyone knows how and they want to save themselves having to answer tons of emails. Just make everyone do it, how are they to know who does or doesn't know how to use it?
    With that logic, SAS should require this for every affiliate when ever they join a new merchant program before they can use "Create a Custom Link to a Page".

Come on, if you're in GAN you learn how to use the tools, just like in CJ and the linkbuilder with LS. I've never seen a merchant do anything like this in any of the hundreds of programs I've joined, with any network, in the 8 years I've been doing affiliate marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    With that logic, SAS should require this for every affiliate when ever they join a new merchant program before they can use "Create a Custom Link to a Page".
    This is a merchant requirement, not a network requirement. GAN is not requiring the training, Target is. So that logic doesn't seem to follow.

SAS requires a comment about how you'll use the datafeed when you apply for FTP access to a datafeed so the merchant can determine if they want to approve access. A merchant might tack on additional requirements before granting FTP access to an affiliate. Each merchant/network does business a little differently. The BYOL training is just an additional requirement by a merchant and perhaps they do business a little differently than the other merchants you're used to.

This actually seems like a fairly minor hoop, compared to some of the hoops I've had to jump through before. I think the main point is that they've made progress and are now offering BYOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    This is a merchant requirement, not a network requirement. GAN is not requiring the training, Target is. So that logic doesn't seem to follow.
    I didn't phrase that correctly. I should have said "With that logic, SAS merchants should require this for every affiliate when ever they join a new merchant program before they can use "Create a Custom Link to a Page"."

The BYOL training is just an additional requirement by a merchant and perhaps they do business a little differently than the other merchants you're used to.
    Never seen anything like it from similar merchants, or Target when they were at LS.

This actually seems like a fairly minor hoop, compared to some of the hoops I've had to jump through before. I think the main point is that they've made progress and are now offering BYOL.
    I don't know about that. I clicked the link to get the "tutorial" and a window for Google Docs opened, with all sorts of weird google-le-goop and no reference to Target. I could not figure out what to do or what it had to do with BYOL or Target.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    That's what happens when you work with merchants who have this over inflated sense of brand. You should be honored that they even accepted you to promote them...peasant!

I'm done with school, I don't have time for tests. Kthxbye.

I have been using the Target BYOL for some time now (beta tester). It involves using a specific format within the comment field, used by Target as part of their internal tracking. I was "trained" as to what to put in that field and how to upload it using the upload links. I use Excel to edit and get the comments right then upload the links. A bit more tedious to use than other networks but it works and gets links to Target that track!

I am glad that GAN has found a way to offer BYOL for Target and maybe other merchants without BYOL will follow. Sometimes it is the merchants site design that does not support deep linking. I do not have an issue with taking training, redundant or not and I am not insulted.

Tami

Has anyone been given the training since signing up? I assume they will email us with a link?

Tami

ABW Ambassador

They might also want to get an idea of just who is using BYOL.
    Agree.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread