Question SEO Question: C-Class IP Servers
    With backlinks and their value for SEO, is it the number of just different IP servers or is it more about different C-class IP servers?

Or is the importance of having backlinks from different C-class IP servers really overblown?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Geno

I think some search engines consider relevancy more important.

If you're linking your own websites together, according to Google,
    you're trying to manipulate the rankings.

Any person of sane mind might say it's none of Google's goddam business if you want to link your sites together.

But the reality is we all depend on Google's favors.

So if you're linking your own sites together and they're all on the same or adjacent IP addresses, it's a big red flag to Google.

That's why it makes sense to have different class C IPs if you want to interlink your own sites.

I mentioned in your other "hosting" thread that I maintain accounts with two different large hosts. One reason is so I am not "totally" out of business if there is a major datacenter failure. The other is so I can have [some] referrals from two different IP classes. (BTW, The hosts are physically a thousand miles apart.) I'm not sure how much influence it may have on SEO, but I am sure it has some influence, and even a little bit can help.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have multiple sites on the same IP address, and have links between them.

Google has not penalized any of my sites in any way.

In fact, I was / am ranking #3 for a few keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno
    Or is the importance of having backlinks from different C-class IP servers really overblown
    Maybe someone that is a good tech teacher could explain what "different C-class IP servers" is.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Maybe someone that is a good tech teacher could explain what "different C-class IP servers" is.
    HowStuffWorks.com had a good article on different classes of IP addresses. In, brief: Class A supports 16 million hosts on each of 127 networks, and is normally allocated to large networks. Class B supports 65,000 hosts on each of 16,000 networks, and is allocated to ISPs or educational institutes. Whereas Class C supports 254 hosts on each of 2 million networks, and is allocated to small and medium companies. Link [2] below also gives a good in-perspective explanation.

I've been reading about backlinks lately, and many mention having referring links coming from different Class C IP ranges as a possible optimization advantage (examples: [1] [2] [3]). I guess, I'm trying to ask whether people have noticed the difference (between simply different IPs and different c-class IPs) in their own SEO.

25trees, how competitive are the keywords you get good rankings on? If you don't want to post any details, but can PM or e-mail me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Geno

I guess, I'm trying to ask whether people have noticed the difference (between simply different IPs and different c-class IPs) in their own SEO.
    If this theory proves true it would make a good case for forming some alliances to swap server space.

Geno,
    YOu just confused me and I am a network Eng. JK!!

Different C-Class IP Servers basically means different servers in different locations..
    Different Locations is the key because you might have many many web sites all hosted by the same company and even though they might be using several Servers to host all your sites, all those Servers in the same location will be under the same IP Network or C-Class IP.

There is a penalty that Google applies to sites that are heavily interlinked. It is a mistake to have multiple sites heavily interlinked with each other, but like most penalties that Google applies, getting flagged is random. Some sites get hit while others escape it.

Here is the SEO theory. A Class-C IP indicates that the sites are on the same server, which search engine spiders can interpret as multiple sites run by the same site owner. Google sees this type of interlinking as an attempt to artificially boost a site's ranking.

In my SEO business I have seen lots of problems with sites that are heavily interlinked, which means multiple links on every page to other sites in the group. Basically, each page is linked to another site, which links back to the first site. I have also seen one of the very rare responses that you sometimes get from Google when inquiring about a problem with a site. Google has referred to the issue as "web rings", which is actually an outdated term from the 1990s. However, they did verify that it creates a penalty.

Whenever we work with sites that are heavily interlinked the first thing that we do is separate the sites, remove the links and put each site on a separate Class-C IP address. This has always resolved the problems and the sites all start ranking much better in a matter of a few months.

In one situation, a manufacturer had three mature sites heavily interlinked and his best rankings were in the 90+ rank in Google. For some search phrases his three sites now hold 5 out of the top 10 positions in Google.

It doesn't hurt to have a few links back and forth between sites. That is called reciprocal linking. But you can get into trouble for doing that excessively, as well. Matt Cutts (Google engineer) has addressed that in one of his blogs. He calls it "excessive reciprocal linking", which is a more accurate term than "web rings".

Also, if you are going to link to a site, make sure it is to a site in your industry or related to the theme for your web page. Linking to a lot of unrelated sites can also get a site into trouble. Matt Cutts has also addressed that. That is why most web directories were hit so bad by Google last year. Most directory links are worthless today.
    Last edited by Tech Evangelist; August 28th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Thank you for this feedback, Tech Evangelist.

G.

It's not overhyped stuff. the IP's that you get your backlinks from need to differ from each other to count as a link and also be different from the c class server of the website you are linking to
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Good points. I fully agree.

It used to be that any link counted as a link. That's not the case any more.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    It used to be that any link counted as a link. That's not the case any more.
    So I thought. Thank you for confirming. Very informative thread.

G.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread