ABW Ambassador

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A French court has ruled against Google France in an intellectual property dispute, saying the company must pay a fine for allowing advertisers to tie their text notices to trademarked search terms.

The Lower Court of Nanterre required Google France to pay 70,000 euros (about $81,400) to two companies that owned the rights to certain words. Google France sold the use of these words to advertisers through its AdWords program. AdWords permits individuals and companies to place advertisements on the Google home page that appear when a specific search term is used. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its France, not the US - and French law seems pretty broad on this allowing the phrases in question to be trademarked, but still interesting

ABW Ambassador
    Nunya, Business
    I read that, interesting article. I know US Google, the TM owner just has to notify Google, and Google will disappove the keywords and stop the ad from showing.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

From the article:

Luteciel and Viaticum claimed intellectual property rights in "bourse des vols" and "bourse des voyages," which roughly translate to travel market and airflight market.

How ridiculous! I also read about some disputes concerning certain phrases over here in the US I found to be just part of the way we speak when getting a point across or describing something.

What next, using the word "a" and "the"....

<font color=blue size="1">"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."</font>

ABW Ambassador
    This could happen in Germany too, because there is a similar law there.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread