My affiliate account no longer works.
    I'd been looking at affiliate marketing for several years, and finally decided earlier this summer to dive in.

I had my first affiliate sale in July. Since then I've generated over $26K for my primary vendor and have been bumped up from 5% to 6% commissions. Now before you think I'm making money hand over fist right off the bat, all the traffic to my site is via PPC. The only phrases I rank well on Google for are obscure phrases that generate only 50 to 75 hits a day, certainly not enough to generate $26K in sales in just 6 weeks. In fact, just this week my commisions caught up with my PPC costs, so slowly I am beginning to start making a small profit as opposed to spending more in PPC than I making in commissions. When Google kicks me out of the "non-existant" sandbox, I can start generating sales off of free traffic. I can't wait for that.

The problem I have today is back on August 11th, I signed up with a second vendor's affiliate program. From my years of research on affiliate marketing I've read many times to stay away from affiliate programs that are run internally, but my primary vendor is run internally and so far has been really great. So I saw this other vendor offering an affiliate program, and his site looks like it would convert a lot better than my primary vendor. So I exchange emails with him on August 11th, he approves me, and I start adding his stuff into my site. So Tuesday night I get sale through him for over $2000. He has me at 5% commission. Yeah!!! Then last night I see I got another sale. Things look like they're starting to roll with this new vendor. As of last night I had sent over 900 visits to him, and now they're starting to convert.

But this morning I go to logon to his site, and now it says it can't find my account. To be honest, it looks like my account has been deleted. I've sent an email to the guy I exchanged emails with on July 11th, but no response yet.

I know I'm speculating, but I think when he saw his ecommerce site show a $180 debt to my account, he wasn't expecting that. I'm kind of wondering if he even knows what an affiliate program is, and the affiliate offering on his site is just something that came with the ecommerce software he bought.

So I know a lot of you are going to say don't work with in house affiliate programs, but there aren't a whole lot of affiliate programs in my niche. My primary vendor is really good, but he only offers a third of the products this new vendor does. I would like to be able to continue being an affiliate of the new vendor.

So if you were me, how would you approach this? If he really had no idea of what an affiliate program is, and deleted my account when he saw he owed me $180, what should I do to convince him that an affiliate program is good for his business and I'm not just there leaching off his business?

Thanks!

Lightbulb
    can't judge until you hear from him

Outsourced Program Manager Ronald Marva - SEOP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhammersmith
    But this morning I go to logon to his site, and now it says it can't find my account. To be honest, it looks like my account has been deleted. I've sent an email to the guy I exchanged emails with on July 11th, but no response yet.

I know I'm speculating, but I think when he saw his ecommerce site show a $180 debt to my account, he wasn't expecting that. I'm kind of wondering if he even knows what an affiliate program is, and the affiliate offering on his site is just something that came with the ecommerce software he bought.

Thanks!
    Give him some time to reply to your inquiry. As you said, the site dont seems to be an established ecommerce site; most likely it would not have 24hour email support.

Anyways, congratulation for finding a profitable niche :-)

Yes, give him some time to respond without jumping to conclusions.

As far as inhouse affiliate programs, some of the best affiliate accounts I ever had were inhouse programs...and, from a lot of what is posted here, the networks are not all peaches and cream at times. To be honest, I never really did like network programs. I want to have a 1 on 1 relationship for whomever I am selling for or I am not selling the product(s).

Jim
    [URL=http://www.moonshadowsfarm.com]MoonShadows Farm Country Store[/URL]
    Business Opportunities - 4 Ways to Make Money
    Affiliate, Drop Ship, Wholesale & Associate Downline

Quote Originally Posted by rhammersmith
    So if you were me, how would you approach this? If he really had no idea of what an affiliate program is, and deleted my account when he saw he owed me $180, what should I do to convince him that an affiliate program is good for his business and I'm not just there leaching off his business?
    I have to agree with everyone else. Give them more time and keep in mind that if you generated $180 in commissions that you also generated $3,600 in incremental revenue for the merchant. Assuming that you used only legitimate methods to generate this income without bidding restricted trademarks or other terms, spamming or any other methods that would be considered unethical, then I can see no reason why this merchant wouldn't be excited about the additional business that you are sending them.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Well, he finally replied with this:

"Yes somehow there is an error on our end every time we make a sale your name comes up??? do not know why the last sale I made and you namewas attached trying to figure out???"

I really think he believes affiliates are supposed to make sales external from his site. He doesn't understand why a sale made on his site is attached to an affiliate.

My account has been deleted, which means all the visitors I've had today that clicked through to him aren't being tied to any account. It also means the 900+ outstanding cookies are now worthless. And I doubt he believes he even owes me $180.

Ugh!

I must say that hisresponse scares me for a couple of reasons....

1. As stated above, he really doesn't understand the affiliate referred sale is going to take place on his site...

or

2. There is actually a glitch in the system and every single sale they make someone adds you as the referrer (something in the tracking code perhaps that's hard coding your referral ID), which means that - since you started working with him the company has only made TWO sales - total.

Either way, it appears that they are just a touch out of their depths regarding what to do with their program and how it works....

JMHO

Paul

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread