Mothers Work Links Change Weekly
    For the past month, Mothers Work has been making a weekly change to the product number in each of their links, rendering the product links as useless to generate sales -- they all revert back to a corporate page for the 8+ companies owned by Mothers Work.

I've emailed the LS customer service people three times, with no help or infomation received. I now spend Fridays recoding every Mothers Wear link on the site. Is there any way to get around this? Their data download has the same problem. I hate to drop them as a merchant since my customers like their products. But it does not make good business sense to spend the majority of one day each week rebuilding what I built the prior week.

Could a LS staffer dig into this? Is this a temporary problem or is this a new procedure? Is there any way to build a link that will last more than a week?

Tax Paying Member
    Thank you for this post, Susan. I overlooked what was happening with the links. This may be a Linkshare thing for I have seen this with other LS merchants. You do a specific product display only to find that it somehow starts linking to something unexpected. It is very disconcerting.

I have specific product links, but when I click on a padded bra (example) and am directed to an "Autum Jacket".........This is not what I expected.

Enough said...............This is a reason for me to change merchants.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

LOL If I clicked on a "padded Bra" and it directed me to a "autumn Jacket" I would buy the autum Jacket in hopes that I would get some nice shoes! That company sounds a little unorganized and unskilled people are creating those links, not you. Drop em. Tons of companies that know what they are doing with great product out there. You just have to expand your horizons.

Ooh, this is my favorite topic!

Here's what happens... When a merchant sends a product file to LS, LS's system requires that each product be assigned a permanent location (or fixed ID) for that product (exactly the same as when you upload banners). The next week, if the merchant sends a new feed with some of the earlier items deleted, and just renumbers the items from the beginning, then new items will show up in the previous fixed ID spot. When you create a product link in the LS interface, you are linking to the ID number, not the product itself, so if the product found under the ID number changes.... So does the destination of the link you created on your page.

Does that make sense? Now, we actually re-wrote our feed generating system so that it would assign permanent LS IDs for each of our products. This is not something that everyone can do, and so I would imagine that there are a number of merchants who have really crazy product links, since LS system requires a special treatment of your feed.

This is a long way of saying that the merchant is only partly to blame.

Solution: I'm not positive, but I believe that if you create the links using the LinkBuilder tool, that this problem does not occur. It's a lot more manual labor, but if those links actually work better, than maybe it's worth it.

My $0.02.

Tax Paying Member
    Evidently our posts got some attention. I received an e-mail today from the merchant

Dear Mothers Work Affiliates,

Over the weekend we made some improvements and changes to our Merchandiser data feed.
    Thanks
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread