New here and have question
    Hello to all! I am just getting started with shareAsale. I currently have a couple sites up where I get feeds from affiliates to my site. My sites look as though I am the merchant. Similar in fashion to how Amazon does theirs. So my question: Is there a resource here that will allow me to do this? I prefer to build sites that do not look like an affiliate site. I want a more professional presentation.

TIA,

Tom

Welcome Tom!

I am not sure if I get you because I am usually dense in the a.m. (which lasts about 18hrs)

You have sites that look like your merchants' and you don't want that?

Usually affiliates want to simulate (or at least not totally diff) their sites to the merchants' sites so that when people click through to the merchant it seem like it is a seamless transition. If your site was totally different, eg your sit has a black background and when they click through to the merchant and their's is say off white/light pink, your conversion may be considerable less because people think that they have been hijacked/spoofed/tricked to another site and make them apprehensive, suspicious, etc. I don't say copy your merchants' sites exactly but have some originality, flow, and similar feel.

You can easily change your look and feel with html, css, etc. How are you setting up your pages?

Let's see if I can explain a little better (I too am foggy in the am )

I know I can use iframes to make users think they are on my site at all times,but don;t like them. Not enough flexibility. I know that CuRL and PHP will allow you to "scrape" the site, but I'm not advanced enough to know how to parse the data. I know how to program with PHP and MySQL so all I need is to be able to get the product info from the site and pump it into a MySQL DB so I can then display product info (images, price, descriptions, sizes, etc). The only time the user leaves my site is when they actually purchase something. I guess the best way to say it is a mirror of the merchant, only on my site until they purchase.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by haarvik
    I guess the best way to say it is a mirror of the merchant, only on my site until they purchase.

Does that make sense?
    Yes and no. Yes in terms of what you want to accomplish technically no in terms of why you would want to mirror he merchants site. Your job as an affiliate is not to "trick" the consumer into thinking that they are already on the merchant's site. Your job is to add additional value by providing unique content in some form. Whether that's by means of product reviews or recommendations, price comparisons or testimonials. Just mirroring the merchant makes you redundant and of very little value to the consumer or merchant. Look for a way to add value.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I follow what you are saying. I'm going to provide one of my site url's so you can get the gist of what I am after. Probably make sense after you see it. I want unique content and control over different aspects of SEO marketing that I can get.

Bohnaire

ABW Ambassador
    # Avoid "doorway" pages created just for search engines, or other "cookie cutter" approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content.
    # If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives users a reason to visit your site first.

Webmaster Guidelines

That's what I am trying to accomplish. I WANT original content, not the cookie cutter approach. But, I need to be able to get information from the merchant so I can do this.

Let's say I put up a site and link to products. 2 weeks later, they discontinue a product, and I am on vacation and don't know it. That item will stay on the site until I discover it's not there anymore. I don't want a mad customer who tried to order that.

So, if I had a way to constantly keep the data updated I would not have this issue. If a product is discontinued, the site would be updated and everyone is happy.

On my site I want to be able to have tips, reviews, etc. while still having fresh content. I know with my Bohnaire site it uses an XML feed that is dynamically updated whenever someone goes to the site. What they see as far as products is real time, not stagnant database information.

I hope I am explaining this right. Or maybe someone can provide me with a link to one of their sites so I can see how you are presenting?

It sounds to me that you need to work with merchants that have datafeeds. There are a couple of different ways to work with datafeeds but integrating them into your site yourself provides you with the greatest flexibility but requires a much higher level of technical knowledge. Visit the Datafeed forum or perform a search on datafeeds for more information.

There are also solutions like Popshops and GoldenCAN that allow you to integrate a merchant's feed on your site by just adding a few lines of code that they supply. This approach gives you considerably less control over presentation and SEO, but requires practically no advanced technical skills. They each have forums here that you should visit for more information.

Other possible solutions are applications like Webmerge that allow to format and include datafeeds as html on your site. These solutions require more technical knowledge than Popshops or GoldenCAN but considerably less than integrating the datafeed yourself. Webmerge has a forum here also where you can get additional information.

Keep in mind that not all merchants update their datafeeds as regularly as they should, so there really is no "perfect" solution. However utilizing datafeeds can make your site more dynamic.

There is no law that says that you can't use a combination of the above methods and there are probably several others that I neglected to mention that others may prefer.

Good luck!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread