A Fun but Sad Day Today
    Today is our Annual Barbecue Rib Cook off which is a fun time with plenty of drink and tons of ribs. Or is that tons of drinks and plenty of ribs? The fun part the last one was everyone watching me in panic mode trying to get my ribs to cook by the deadline, 5pm for the fact that I got there so late and my fire didn't want to cooperate with me. Needless to say I didn't even place in what was my first attempt at cooking in it. This year I am prepared and plan on showing up more than two hours before the deadline like I did the last one

I think the last cook off we donated any money that was raised to the St Jude's Children's Hospital. A couple of years before that I donated money to one of the poorer city schools in Syracuse for the fact that their 8th grade class blew off a trip to a water park and donated their funds to the tsunami victims which I thought was pretty touching for un-advantaged kids that age to forgo a trip to a water park and instead donate to one of the greatest disasters of our time.

Unfortunately the sad part is that this year it really hits home big time and all of the donations will be going to a good friend. Friends of ours who we have all known for about 35 years has a daughter who we watched grow up since she was born just found out about a month ago that her son Dylan who is 7 - 8 months old has cancer. It's a rare form of cancer called Neuroblastoma and their are only around 650 cases each year. They found out because they noticed a lump in his stomach. Most of the cases unfortunately are found in young children and Dylan is one of them and today is about trying to help out Mellisa and Ben defray some of the hospital costs that their insurance don't pay.

Just needed to vent a bit and feel free to send your thoughts and prayers to the Pompey, NY area today for Dylan Oh, not nearly as important but feel free after and only after Dylan's to say a little prayer for my ribs coming in first today. OK, nevermind my ribs, I don't think even a prayer can help me out. Hopefully they will Dylan though
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

http and a telephoto
    Good thoughts on their way to Dylan and his family AND to you for doing well with your ribs Blending sad with happy is the only way to get through life.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

That is very touching what the 8th graders did. Especially since at that age, kids become more self-centered (ok any age) but for them to give up the money to help others in need is very touching.

Sorry about the sad news. It is hard to hear about little kids going through something like this, esp. if prognosis is not good. What is the prognosis for this type of cancer? Will pray for the little one.

Amen to good ribs. My daughter would be salivating if she hears about them.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Good thoughts on their way to Dylan and his family AND to you for doing well with your ribs Blending sad with happy is the only way to get through life.
    Loxly, thanks and your right! That's pretty much how our family does things.

Ladidah, having three older kids myself your right about the self centered times in their lives. To be honest with you when I read the article about the kids doing that it brought a tear to my eyes, shhh. By coincidence the principal of the school happen to be at that years cook off because his wife was a friend of where the cook off takes place.

As for Dylan's prognosis I think it comes down to hearing anything good right now and blowing off the rest of it. The inforamtion I have is it's category 2 of a 4 but then there are stages. He just did his second treatment of Chemo which he is handling pretty good and to see him you would never know he was sick. He was going to be there today but his blood count from the last treatment got really low so it's a no go for today. I think what scares me is they just found another tumor in his stomach but I'm praying that the chemo will start working. Thanks for the thoughts and here is a link that explains more of what it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroblastoma
    Last edited by Packy; August 30th, 2008 at 11:22 AM.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hey Packy, best wishes for your cook-off success and to Dylan who's battling neuroblastoma. My nephew is a neuroblastoma survivor. He developed it in utero and was diagnosed at 6 months old. He's a teenager now and a very healthy kid in spite of all the chemo and surgeries he underwent as an infant. Hang tough.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Good luck to you, Packy!

Be sure to post back and let us know how you did.

I'll be keeping Dylan in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on his progress as well.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

ABW Ambassador
    It breaks my heart to hear that a child is suffering from such a disease. Children are amazing at how they handle such an illness. I will certainly keep Dylan and his family in my prayers.

Good Luck with the ribs, Packy.

Agree that those kids were reaaally sweet Best wishes to you on your ribs, too. That's very good to read what Rhea posted, that her nephew is doing so well now and survived it. That's a good positive sign for your friend. I'm sure they must have even better ways of treating things now since it's been a while since he had it and survived back then. Definitely will think good positive thoughts for them.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Hope you win the cook off Packy! (Making good Ribs is good and MACHO . lol)

Blessings to little Dylan and his family. Good to hear that Rhea's nephew survived what he has. Kids just shouldn't get sick - too heart breaking. :-(
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

My thoughts and prayers with Dylan & family. Hope you won the the cook off!
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

It is nice to hear of your efforts to make the world a little better place. I hope your ribs won the judge's favor and that your event was able to raise some serious funds.

Now you made me hungry. Good thing the rib fest is still going on downtown today. ;-)

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Hey Packy, best wishes for your cook-off success and to Dylan who's battling neuroblastoma. My nephew is a neuroblastoma survivor. He developed it in utero and was diagnosed at 6 months old. He's a teenager now and a very healthy kid in spite of all the chemo and surgeries he underwent as an infant. Hang tough.
    Rhea, that is GREAT that your nephew is a survivor. Great words of encouragement as purplebear mentioned and I'll pass them along to Ben and Melissa, Dylan's parents. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers everyone. They mean a lot Sorry I took so long to answer back but it was pretty much a weekend camp out and it was fun as always.

All in all there were probably about 150 kids and adults, mostly friends and family there and I heard that along with the fun we all had raised about $3000.00 which should help out a little for now anyways. Down the road if needed I'm sure we will put together a real fundraiser

As for my ribs and judges. Normally I don't brag but man my ribs were top notch. Only 5 judges, one of them being my youngest (disowned) son and a women I went to school with. I knew once Patty (Pppplllpptttt) was a judge that whatever she liked would win. She is pretty good at convincing people to see things her way. I came in fourth out of I think 14 cooks which was a lot better than the last time so I won't whine too much. Well I will but not on here I guess the good thing was that all the people that got to try my ribs loved them so there is hope for next year.

Thanks again for the well wishes everyone, it really is appreciated and hopefully little Dylan will beat this hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Packy

Normally I don't brag but man my ribs were top notch. I came in fourth out of I think 14 cooks which was a lot better than the last time so I won't whine too much. Well I will but not on here I guess the good thing was that all the people that got to try my ribs loved them so there is hope for next year.
    Ah go ahead and ***** Packy - we'll commiserate. :-)

WTG on your ribs coming in 4th! That's huge and even if you didn't win, you can still make ribs for family and friends and make them super happy.

I made lasagna for the crowd this weekend but all this talk of ribs has me salivating.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Ah go ahead and ***** Packy - we'll commiserate. :-)

WTG on your ribs coming in 4th! That's huge and even if you didn't win, you can still make ribs for family and friends and make them super happy.

I made lasagna for the crowd this weekend but all this talk of ribs has me salivating.
    Hey Rexanne, Lasagna is one of my top five favorites. Hmmm, it might be worth a stop over in LAX if that was being served

Quote Originally Posted by Packy
    Hey Rexanne, Lasagna is one of my top five favorites. Hmmm, it might be worth a stop over in LAX if that was being served
    Not a chance - sorry. I'll be heading to San Diego, not cooking for 2 days. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Not a chance - sorry. I'll be heading to San Diego, not cooking for 2 days. ;-)

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread