ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation are these affiliate/rate commissions possible???????
    look here: http://search.live.com/cashback/stor...iscount&d=desc

according to MS they give 100% back to their users of their earnings/commissions they get from merchants

is it me having myopia or what?

Didn't bother to look...to be honest with you. I still go by the saying...If it sounds too good to be true, .......

Jim
    [URL=http://www.moonshadowsfarm.com]MoonShadows Farm Country Store[/URL]
    Business Opportunities - 4 Ways to Make Money
    Affiliate, Drop Ship, Wholesale & Associate Downline

I see many programs with managers here at ABW, since it's a long holiday weekend many will not be online. It would be interesting to hear how an affiliate program is listed for a few percent on the networks but the company is listed on that site at 15%+ as cashback.

It could have to do with going through MS directly bypassing any fees to a network and it also appears the user is not allowed to use any coupon or discount codes. But I still don't see that much of a variance.

added:
    I wonder if there are some restricted items. The TOS says:
    Live Search cashback is a service for you to accumulate awards for making qualifying purchases from participating stores. These awards may be redeemed later for cash or other goods and services.
    Bolded by me, that may give an insight into what is going on.
    Last edited by knight01; August 30th, 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: quote TOS
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    plz DO look it cant be true! zappos paying 22.5 or footlocker paying 45 or even shoemall paying 47.5 %%%%%????????????????? is this possible...

just saw FootSmart.com 62.5% are we nuts here... does footsmart make a roi here?

ABW Ambassador
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01

It could have to do with going through MS directly bypassing any fees to a network and it also appears the user is not allowed to use any coupon or discount codes. But I still don't see that much of a variance.

but still a normal override fee varies from 0% to 30% (depending on exclusivity etc) on affiliate commissions... i dont know...i still cant believe my eyes with the numbers i saw and checking with the various affiliate networks...

I understand, that was my statement about not seeing that much variance. Shoemall in CJ pays 15%, it's 47.5% on Live cash back. Seems like it shouldn't be more than about 18% or 19% if they eliminate the network fees. Another thought is that MS is kicking some extra money in to get people to use the service and the amounts will go down after it gets established. They consider it a cost of customer acquisition and will drive more traffic to live.com raising it's value.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    i thought of your second point(customer acquisition) but to be honest i cant make it work on my mind... the numbers dont add up...hope an affiliate manager will step in and explain... as you might have understand i cant still believe it... as i can not still find another "excuse" than the obvious one but still the ROI seems too good to be true merchantwise...

knight101 do you think it would be better to change the links to the ones provided by MS hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by KGP
    knight101 do you think it would be better to change the links to the ones provided by MS hahaha
    That could be interesting... instead of our affiliate links pass visitors right through the links with our live.com account info attached. That should get MS to re-think this concept.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I'm really curious about this, too, because I see a number of affiliate programs that I work with on here and really try to send quality traffic to with a combination of cash back, community, videos, etc. I'm getting less than half, sometimes a quarter, of what MS is paying back. I don't want to call out any affiliate managers in particular, but some of them have forums on here and post frequently. Let's give them a chance to weigh in and then if we don't hear anything, maybe we can start emailing them Tuesday morning to try to find out what's up. These numbers are kind of shocking.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

ABW Ambassador
    off topic if any of the moderators want to change the topic (to something more relevant/appropriate) feel free..i am getting the feeling this is going to be quite a hot topic..

They are hooked up with ebay too. Buy it Now listings. Must be a special deal between MS & ebay. I wondered why I saw gift cards selling for over face value recently on ebay...lol.

note the cashback icons:
    http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=wii&go=&form=QBLH

I found blog that talked about this, saying you could only get this deal up to 3 items, I have no idea if that's true tho...

Another blog I read about this says it's another twist to MSN's (we'll bribe you to use our SE) strategy.

I'm not usually an affiliate doomsayer, but if MS & Google get into a cashback war, the little affiliate will end up on the outside looking in I'm afraid.

Thanks for the link, looks like MSN is funding this (in part at least) with ad campaigns bought by the merchants. But on a CPA model instead of PPC.

ABW Ambassador
    where do you see that -MSN funding this- this is what i get from their website (from the link flamingoworld gave):

===quote===
    Live Search cashback offers:

* Direct customer rewards on selected items, with cash back on every transaction. You can establish the amount of cash back you want to reward customers. Additionally, you have direct control on how your products are listed compared to the competition.
    ===unquote===

ABW Ambassador
    well... still no answer from an AM... i think its difficult for them to step in and answer whats going on without making us (affiliates) angry

Quote Originally Posted by KGP
    well... still no answer from an AM... i think its difficult for them to step in and answer whats going on without making us (affiliates) angry
    Today was a holiday in the United States, I'd guess most spent it with family and friends. I imagine that you'll see some pop in Tuesday and Wednesday as they start getting back to work.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

::

Figure it's time to bump this up since most managers are back at work. Would be nice to hear as much as they may reveal of this arrangement.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    i am "all ears" ;-)

any of you consider, that some of those percentages include money out of Microsofts pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    any of you consider, that some of those percentages include money out of Microsofts pocket?
    It's quite possible. If so, you would think that we would only see numbers like that for a short amount of time. Maybe the first couple months?

The odd thing is that some of the commissions look in line with what a super affiliate would earn. But then others are incredibly high.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    It's quite possible. If so, you would think that we would only see numbers like that for a short amount of time. Maybe the first couple months?

The odd thing is that some of the commissions look in line with what a super affiliate would earn. But then others are incredibly high.
    I had speculated the same thing, that its MS money for a limited time. Hadn't really thought about super affiliate payouts. I guess that could explain some of them. But I may have to sign up to buy some shoes pretty soon.

I'm afraid the managers may not be able to comment due to contractual obligations, but would like to at least have them chime in with some thoughts.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Looks to me like the cashback % has dropped dramatically

I see 9% at zappos, was 22% a few days ago.
    Laptops 1-3%, instead of ridiculous 3-10%. etc.

Simcat - good catch. I checked Shoemall since I knew I looked at this weekend and it is now where I thought it should be at 19%.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Shoemall in CJ pays 15%, it's 47.5% on Live cash back. Seems like it shouldn't be more than about 18% or 19% if they eliminate the network fees.
    I wonder if it was a limited promo through August that MS kicked in bonus cash to drive sign-ups or a mistake that someone entered into the db incorrectly. If it was a limited promo, there was no obvious disclaimer that it would end on a certain date. I'll bet they have some p'd off users that signed up over the weekend thinking they were going to get nearly 50% of their holiday shopping rebated to them.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    well it was no promo but i would rather consider it a "subsidy" from merchants to MS....

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread