Angry Affiliate Voice
    I enjoy working with Shareasale vendors and have been very successful in affiliate sales. The one thing that bothers me a bit is vendor spam; I have no problem with the supplier having the name of their company near or in a photo. But it really irritates me when their website address is in large bold print across each and every image. We our (Commission Sales Persons) affiliates advertising their products so they can make more money why do they need to spam our sites?

ABW Ambassador
    how is it spam when you choose to place the link?

They probably don't do that to spam. It's probably their protection (limited as it is) to keep unauthorized people from infringing on their image copyright. Ask them for images without the watermark.

X

It is Spam When
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    how is it spam when you choose to place the link?
    The vendor supplies the images for our data feeds and other web pages that directly hyper link to their web site. But when the vendors web site name stands out more than the image customer may just go there instead of using your porthole. I am not talking about most of the Shareasale suppliers because 97% are great. It is just a few but I have a few sites with them and I see it as spam. Therefore I don't pay to promote those sites like I do with the others.

Just do as I do, I will not publish an Image or Banners that Contains either Their URL or their Phone Number. I have asked merchants for images/banners without the url or number. If they do not provide it I do not promote them.

Affiliate Manager nathanjelovich's Avatar
    So it sounds like putting the logo in the banner is ok, but not referencing a URL?

That would work for me.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanjelovich
    So it sounds like putting the logo in the banner is ok, but not referencing a URL?
    Yes, a url or a phone number on an affiliate banner is a no-no. You want them to click affiliate banners, not type in the url.

I can relate to merchants sometimes using a copyright notice in the form of a watermark on an image, however conversions drop when there are large watermarks, not just for affiliates but for the merchant as well. If a customer can't see what they are purchasing because it is distorted with a huge watermark, they won't buy. And again, it should not be a url anyway.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I have no problem with names or logos
    I just have a problem with large bold web site address and/or phone numbers. If they are going to provide images they should not include SPAM. If costomers are shopping our site then we should get the credit; rather than being a billboard.

Affiliate Manager nathanjelovich's Avatar
    Makes sense. Great info!

from a merchants view I never put my phone number in an ad or picture, we did put the URL in some pictures, based on the following:

1) When we first started out and were testing some of the affiliates sites we found that not all of them worked correctly.

2) Since the customer is much more likly to click on an affiliate provided link or picture than to manually type in the url provided in a picture: this provided a backup method for them to find our site if some part of the SAS/affiliates site was down or mis-coded.

3) Our product pictures were showing up on other sites (MySPACE, blogs ...), the pictures basicly had chocolate covered strawberries with cute sayings on them (like 'I love you', 'I miss you', 'Get well"...) with no links back to us.

4) Since an affiliates site would have a link to the merchant site and the customer is much more likley to click on the current page than retype a url we saw no harm in putting the url at the bottom of the pictures and protecting the images that way.

That's just my version, I can see the reasoning behind the affiliates that have another viewpoint, but feel it's much more likley for the customers to click the affiliate links.

http and a telephoto
    So on your own site you have images that have your url on them? Customers would hate that. IMO it would look extremely unprofessional and as a shopper I would leave that site.
    Deborah Carney

on our new site we can use image protection to prevent several hundred myspace users from activley using our site to host the images.

We do have a seperate myspace account for them to use for this now.

Most of the pictures on the new site are pretty generic, boxes of chocolate covered strawberries, , flowers..., but the closeups of image berries (the ones with "I Love you" on the face of the berry...) will either be protected from leaching (the ones in the product detail) or with the url. The url is only displayed in the gallery page.

Maybe Brian has some numbers on percentages of customers that don't click but instead retype the url on the first pass? We don't take direct phone orders so would never put a phone number in any ads.

http and a telephoto
    How would Brian have numbers for typed in urls? They wouldn't include affiliate tracking so there would be no way for him to know.

If you have your images protected, what images are your affiliates able to use? Or do you not have a datafeed?
    Deborah Carney

Brian (or anyone) could have number from a study based on customer trends and industry studies, (someone is bound have done this type of study) .

When you are web surfing do you retype the address manually or just click on the link? Personally the only time I would retype a link is when clicking on it does not work.

As I said only the pictures that have the up-close images strawberries are marked this way, they are the ones that are likley to be hotlinked to. We used the smaller images for the data feed (without links) and the tagged images in some of the banners.

In reality the url in the image would only get used by most users when clicking on the link does not work.

I can completely understand the reluctance of an affiliate to post when phone numbers are part of the image, we've seen too many customers who just call the 800 number without knowing product specs/costs/delivery methods (all covered in the FAQs) to post the number. When you have a product that can only be shipped overnight and is extreemly persihable, and lable intensive to produce, the 800 number becomes a shopping line rather than an order line (call times in excess of 30 minutes).

So why would a customer retype a listed link rather than just clicking on the image/display link?

I agree with loxly.
    No URL or phone number.

Gonzalo

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by CCBerries
    Brian (or anyone) could have number from a study based on customer trends and industry studies, (someone is bound have done this type of study) .

When you are web surfing do you retype the address manually or just click on the link? Personally the only time I would retype a link is when clicking on it does not work.

As I said only the pictures that have the up-close images strawberries are marked this way, they are the ones that are likley to be hotlinked to. We used the smaller images for the data feed (without links) and the tagged images in some of the banners.

In reality the url in the image would only get used by most users when clicking on the link does not work.

I can completely understand the reluctance of an affiliate to post when phone numbers are part of the image, we've seen too many customers who just call the 800 number without knowing product specs/costs/delivery methods (all covered in the FAQs) to post the number. When you have a product that can only be shipped overnight and is extreemly persihable, and lable intensive to produce, the 800 number becomes a shopping line rather than an order line (call times in excess of 30 minutes).

So why would a customer retype a listed link rather than just clicking on the image/display link?
    "In reality" most shoppers are not as savvy as you and I. They will type a url because it's there and they don't know they can click on a picture and it will take them to the url on the picture.

Your datafeed only contains thumbnail sized images? As noted in another thread, you need to talk to an OPM or a consultant before relaunching an affiliate program. Your company may actually not be the right fit for an affiliate program.
    Deborah Carney

Loxly/Debbie,
    So you are saying customers don't know how to click on links? How did they get to your web page? That's the funniest argument Iíve heard in a long time, if someone does not know how to navigate online they would not be on your site.

Iíve been on the internet since it was Darpa-net, long before the web was in its current form and even my 70+ year old parents can navigate the web without a problem.

People will take the path of least resistance and that is clicking on a link, the only time they would not is when the link is not functioning properly. So what you are really saying is that if your link is not functioning then the merchant should not get the sale?

In normal high end programming you plan for the errors, and take steps to make sure things don't abort because of an error.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by CCBerries
    Loxly/Debbie,
    So you are saying customers don't know how to click on links? How did they get to your web page? That's the funniest argument Iíve heard in a long time, if someone does not know how to navigate online they would not be on your site.

Iíve been on the internet since it was Darpa-net, long before the web was in its current form and even my 70+ year old parents can navigate the web without a problem.

People will take the path of least resistance and that is clicking on a link, the only time they would not is when the link is not functioning properly. So what you are really saying is that if your link is not functioning then the merchant should not get the sale?

In normal high end programming you plan for the errors, and take steps to make sure things don't abort because of an error.
    We are talking about clicking on an *image* vs clicking on a *link*. I have also been on the internet longer than most of the people around here, I worked for a major university in the 70's and did online research in the early 80's when there was no "web".

Don't get defensive. People are explaining to you things that you obviously don't want to hear. The way *you* want to do things is not affiliate friendly, and is probably not shopper friendly either. But hey, it can work just fine for you. But you *are* limiting yourself. Don't kid yourself.

Your parents can do things on the internet just fine. My mother can't. I am surrounded by people that don't surf they way you expect. Many MANY people still won't give their credit card online, they won't accept cookies. Take an afternoon and go to a relative or friend's house that isn't as internet savvy as you are and ask them to go shop for something. Pick anything. Then watch them surf. You *will* be amazed.

I worked in customer service for a large internet site, it was a few years ago now (4), but even for that time, some people wouldn't give me their cc number over a cordless phone! They couldn't use the site after an upgrade because they still had Windows 98. If you think those folks are gone or are in the minority, I disagree.

So, in answer to your question, YES I have seen people that will not click on a picture because they don't know if it will really take them to the site that is the same as the url on the image.

But in your case, it won't matter because you aren't supplying those images in an affiliate datafeed. So they won't *be* on any sites for people to click on or not.
    Deborah Carney

CCBerries I would suggest you open your mind to what Loxly is suggesting to you. She is by far one of the best on this forum (or any affiliate Forum) alot of people have learned alot by reading her post and taking her advice. It is people like Debbie who make it worth while visiting this site 3-4 times a day

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    After seeing many people go to Google or Yahoo and searching for the address instead of just typing it in the address bar, I wouldn't be surprised if people typed the url instead of clicking on the image.

In fact, I know they do because I've seen it when testing my own sites with "less than savyy family members". They don't always know that a link is a link and if a merchant or affiliate doesn't know or understand that then they have a lot to learn before they start promoting anything.

As for URL's and phone numbers on banners. I have no problem with that as long as you are paying me directly. If you aren't and this is an affiliate relationship- no thanks. My job isn't to brand you, it's to sell. If you want branding, pay me.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread