Am I beating my head against a rock?
    I spent quite some time researching a very specialized niche where there is a real possibility to dominate the SE and pull a fair amount of traffic. Here's my delima. I have spent the past six months attempting to line up vendors for products to populate my site with. I'm with CJ, LinkShare, SaS and Worldwide Brands just to name a few of my resources. I have accounts with so many Web 2.0 sites running blogs, article writing, web sites, etc. But I just don't seem to be able to get the following for my site so I can start driving traffic.

#1. Product images
    #2. Product descriptions
    #3. product prices, and last but not least,
    #4. just a "Buy" button that will take the customer to the vendor's pay page.

I think I must have been absent the day that all the knowledge that you fine entreprenuers learned through osmosis from this forum. Am I missing something? Basically what I want is a product orientated site wher customers can see the product, read a detailed description about the product and determine that they want to purchase. I don't want a bunch of flashing banners and and annoying ads. I had all my links in place a few months ago from CJ and then they all went dead. I haven't been able figure out how to get this all to work for me.

Maybe some of you would be so kind as to help me figure this out if possible.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Has anyone ever ran a poll to see just how many ABW members have left the work-a-day world and sucessfully became a full time IM of AM?

ABW Ambassador
    datafeeds. Work with datafeeds to populate your pages. There are hundreds of merchants with datafeeds, adding up to millions of products

I've been researching the datafeed aspect. I don't know how I could par down the files to just my niche specific products.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mann
    I've been researching the datafeed aspect. I don't know how I could par down the files to just my niche specific products.
    How are you working with data feeds?

In SAS, you can use the "MakeAPage" feature - pick a merchant you know has the products you need then do a search (in the MakeAPage interface) for specific keywords. A bunch of pictures and descriptions will pop up and you just place the code given into your page.

Avantlink network offers free data feed tools for affiliates as well.

Pop Shops is another easy as pie data feed option. You can pull data from a variety of merchants across many networks and pop them into one "shop" which can then be popped into your site.

CJ and Linkshare make affiliates pay for data feeds which is, IMO, insane but you can pull their merchant feeds through Pop Shops.

Once you get the idea, come back and ask specific questions if you're still having trouble.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanx Rexanne.

I'm not actually using datafeeds as I've only just started to try and understand just what a datafeed can do for me. I agree, CJ is shameless with wanting to charge for these feeds. The merchants IMHO should be providing these feeds for free as it can only help AM send traffic to the merchant site. I'm a total Newb to this technology. I just don't know enough about this to be able to effectively use this. I'm all Ears to you experts.

Rich Mann, superCool can't get into his CJ today, but he has found links in the past that included images and buttons to the merchant. if you open your get links by relationship page and then click on the merchant, there is a page that has the merchant summary on it. there should be several types of links listed (3 or 4 types). superCool thinks they might be called "Product Links" or something like that. check that out and see if you can find them. superCool will look into it if/when he gets back in to his cj hq.

good luck,
    superCool

Thanks superCool,
    I tried this option with my keywords and the search results came up with Nada, Zilch, Zip. Some of the other search terms came up with too many links unrelated to my niche. That's why I'm loosing what's left of my mind. LOL

ABW Ambassador
    if you are getting zero results for your niche in cj.com, then perhaps your niche isn't as lucrative as you thought?

Is it possible your niche would find a lot of products on ebay? Have you thought about the ebay affiliate program via their Ebay Partners Network?

I ask because I and many others here use a particular WordPress plugin that pulls all that information together from live ebay auctions and displays it on your website.

I mentioned that particular plugin a few months ago in a post and got an angry reaction from one of our longtime members here at ABW, so I won't say more.

But it would be similar to having a "datafeed" from ebay without needing any datafeed knowledge.

Of course, while I thought of ebay initially, it just occurred to me that you can get the same kind of information for many CJ or Shareasale or Linkshare merchants without using datafeeds if you sign up with PopShops.com. They have a forum here and MANY people here work with PopShops for their datafeed. (Think of PopShops as similar to the Make-a-Page tool from Shareasale mentioned earlier in this thread.)
    Generate more fake news.

Rich Mann.... that would be an interesting poll.... I need to do a search and see if anyone has done something similar in the past....

Gary.... don't sweat it.... ya can't please everyone and I don't see anything wrong with you mentioning phpbay when appropriate to the situation.... you're excited over the tool, much like I am with Popshops.... I tell everyone that I love Popshops and it's not because I'm making anything off saying it.... I say it because it's true..... you've had the same experience with the phpbay plugin.... everyone has their favorite tools and tricks.....

I, for one, am glad you found it.... it will be what I purchase to use when I'm ready to deal with eBay.....

Cool Hey Rich Mann
    ShareASale is by far the best way to go with their make-a-page option and the data feeds. What I did ten or so years ago was set up a site with everything one could imaging for sale. Then when something started to sell I would buy a domain name and build a site around that product. Now I have several sites with keywords in the number one position on many search engines including Google. You can contact me if you want more information about data feeds and how to set them up. Just remember that Google Bots will only index a couple hundred pages of you site. More pages are included when you page rank increases. If you have not done already go to Google webmaster tools and add your site and verify it with a meta tag they provide. Then go to http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ and enter your website address. The generator with create free site maps for your site. download all the sitemaps sitemap.xml, sitemape.ror, sitemape.html and urlist.txt.
    Upload them all to your server and click the "Add a Sitemap" link at Google and use General and add the sitemap.xml. In about twenty minutes Google will approve or not approve the sitemap. If you followed my suggestions it will be should approved. Also attach a robots.txt file which can be obtained there as well.

Hope this helps!

http and a telephoto
    Product links in CJ have all the same information you would get by having access to the full datafeeds, so if you aren't finding products in that option, you aren't going to find it in the feeds either. If you are getting too many results then narrow your search by merchant or by other terms. Same for the Shareasale Make A Page or Popshops. They work off of the data supplied by merchant datafeeds, no datafeed = no listing in M-A-P or Popshops.

If a merchant you need doesn't have the links or data you need, contact them to find out if they can supply it, they may not realize they are losing affiliates or may think they have too few products to bother with a feed, not knowing the ancillary benefits of providing one even if they only have 10-20 products.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I spent quite some time researching a very specialized niche where there is a real possibility to dominate the SE and pull a fair amount of traffic. Here's my delima. I have spent the past six months attempting to line up vendors for products to populate my site with. I'm with CJ, LinkShare, SaS and Worldwide Brands just to name a few of my resources. I have accounts with so many Web 2.0 sites running blogs, article writing, web sites, etc. But I just don't seem to be able to get the following for my site so I can start driving traffic.

#1. Product images
    #2. Product descriptions
    #3. product prices, and last but not least,
    #4. just a "Buy" button that will take the customer to the vendor's pay page.

I think I must have been absent the day that all the knowledge that you fine entreprenuers learned through osmosis from this forum. Am I missing something? Basically what I want is a product orientated site wher customers can see the product, read a detailed description about the product and determine that they want to purchase. I don't want a bunch of flashing banners and and annoying ads. I had all my links in place a few months ago from CJ and then they all went dead. I haven't been able figure out how to get this all to work for me.

Maybe some of you would be so kind as to help me figure this out if possible.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Has anyone ever ran a poll to see just how many ABW members have left the work-a-day world and sucessfully became a full time IM of AM?
    Hi Rich Mann,

Let me chime in quickly as a response for Worldwide Brands.

Do you want to sell physical products, i.e. have your own ecommerce store, or do you strictly want to have affiliate relationships?

If you want to sell physical products and are looking for genuine wholesale suppliers, then Worldwide Brands is a good place to find them. Many of the wholesale suppliers within our database have got datafeeds for their products, you just need to ask.

If you have any questions about Worldwide Brands and how we can help you don't hesitate to contact Customer Service at info@worldwidebrands.com or 877-637-6774. Otherwise feel free to email or call me, and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Colleen Darwent
    Affiliate Manager
    WorldwideBrands.com
    cdarwent@worldwidebrands.com

Thanks All.
    Do you want to sell physical products, i.e. have your own ecommerce store, or do you strictly want to have affiliate relationships?

If you want to sell physical products and are looking for genuine wholesale suppliers, then Worldwide Brands is a good place to find them. Many of the wholesale suppliers within our database have got datafeeds for their products, you just need to ask.
    Colleen, I have been a WB member for a number of years. I sent you an e-mail on this subject.

Loxly, I have not tried MAP from SAS but just a few days ago I did put PopShop to the test and had excellent results. I do wonder if exposing the Affiliate link on my webpages #1 will cause customers to shy away from purchasing because the links take them off-site #2 if I'm exposing myself to parasites. I guess only time will tell.

NarrowsBridge, I have already done the whole sitemap thingy. Thanks for the feedback. I've used that site tool many times. Works like a charm.

writerguy,
    I haven't even looked into the EBay affiliate program and really don't know how I would be able profit from someone elses Ebay auction. Or is it that I would be promoting Ebay stores products.

Julian, I did do my homework on the keywords. the traffic numbers and competition looked like it would support me taking a piece of the pie. Albiet, my competition is the manufacturers themselves but their SEO is weak.

http and a telephoto
    Thanks All.
    Loxly, I have not tried MAP from SAS but just a few days ago I did put PopShop to the test and had excellent results. I do wonder if exposing the Affiliate link on my webpages #1 will cause customers to shy away from purchasing because the links take them off-site #2 if I'm exposing myself to parasites. I guess only time will tell.
    If customers shy away from affiliate links no one here would be making money And the way to keep away from parasites is to not use merchants that allow them in their programs. Parasites target merchants, not affiliates. In other words, parasites don't care at all about your own site, they grab your cookie after the shopper clicks through to the merchant site.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    If customers shy away from affiliate links no one here would be making money And the way to keep away from parasites is to not use merchants that allow them in their programs. Parasites target merchants, not affiliates. In other words, parasites don't care at all about your own site, they grab your cookie after the shopper clicks through to the merchant site.
    Ditto what Loxly said. :-)

Rich Mann,

Sounds like you have the game under control and you've figured out how to work with data feeds. Keep working with Pop Shops and try the SAS MakeAPage. You can add SAS MakeApage code to an existing Pop Shop page and mix them.

The beauty of Pop Shops is that you can combine feeds from merchants across all networks into a "shop" and give your visitors a variety and plenty of choices.

Also know that you'll not see parasite activity with SAS merchants because SAS doesn't allow parasitic affiliates into their network. Makes selling a lot easier and less fraught with suspicion and angst. You'll see the difference in conversions for yourself.

Have fun!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

[/b]I haven't even looked into the EBay affiliate program and really don't know how I would be able profit from someone elses Ebay auction. Or is it that I would be promoting Ebay stores products.
    I encourage you to look into eBay. You make 50% plus of eBay seller fees. In addition you make up to over $50 for each new member referred. I made over $83 on a single $1 sale last week. The item was a timeshare that eBay charged more than $150 listing fees on. The beauty about eBay is that virtually any product is available to promote so you can choose very nichie items and be successful with them.

X

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread