Confessions of a WordPress Newbie - Hosting Your Own
    Since WordPress gets so much GoodPress around here I decided it's my best choice for a new blog site I'm developing. Instructions for the installation are heavily geared toward users who buy hosting services. My installation is on one of our servers so is being installed locally. I ran into a couple issues that I had to do a little digging to work through...

First, during the "5 minute" install that turned into three hours, once I figured out how to create a MySQL database using the command line utility, the install routine would connect to the database server but couldn't "select the database". More searching... I finally found precise syntax in the WP forum which indicated that I had not set permissions correctly. It would have been nice if this was in the instructions. So I'm posting it here...
    mysql> CREATE DATABASE databasename;
    Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON databasename.* TO "wordpressusername"@"hostname"
    -> IDENTIFIED BY "password";
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> EXIT
    So to summarize, before installing WP, create the database first using the commands above. Outside hosting services will probably have other means of setting up a database if it's necessary.

Second issue in next post...

X

Second issue...

My first attempt at installing WP was directly at the server console. Finally got it installed to the point of logging in to WP and was presented with a page not found error. And going to the home page resulted in a funky white screen with all black text and some links scattered around. Then I realized that when I tried to access the site using it's domain name, the page address changed to the private internal network IP. After nothing I did would change the malady, I decided that the installation takes on the address of the connection it's installed on. So I killed the database and began a re-install. But this time I remoted out to one of my client's networks and ran the install across the Internet from there. The whole process went flawlessly.

And, it took only five minutes!

X

Just one of the many reasons I could never handle running my own server without something like cpanel.

Do you have cpanel or something similar? If you know how to do all that via command line, no problem I guess. I'd have to relearn everything I'm doing if I had to create a db and assign permissions via command line! LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

I never felt the need to use cpanel type apps as I've always provided hands on personal service for clients.
    As far as knowing how, I just do what I have to do. Different database language inceptions are basically similar, just different syntax. I've never worked with MySQL until a week ago, and I think at this stage of life I'm not that willing to put the effort into it (read lazy) that I have MS SQL server and Access. I'm not one of those Unix types that thrive on command line gymnastics.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    I'm not one of those Unix types that thrive on command line gymnastics.
    Generate more fake news.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread