Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite NFL Team and why?
    Since the NFL season just started, just wanted to know your favorite team and why?

I will start.... "Hail to the Redskins".

Although we look so BAD yesterday, I wasn't surprise because I have very low expectation this season. I am predicting a 6-10 record this season. I love the Redskins because I am true Washingtonian, ever since migrating to the US from Ghana. Grew up in DC, high school and college in the area. I love the tradition of the Redskins, there isn't a better fight song in the NFL than "Hail to the Redskins.... Fight for ole DC"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Giants. Keeps the peace in the family.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    My wife's family used to own part of the Redskins, so I gotta cheer for them. Plus, rooting for the Bears seems a lot like rooting for the Cubs, I'm still waiting for Rex Grossman to become the games most valuable qb. Hey, like I said, it's a lot like rooting for the cubs.... you really have ta wanna.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    My wife's family used to own part of the Redskins, so I gotta cheer for them. Plus, rooting for the Bears seems a lot like rooting for the Cubs, I'm still waiting for Rex Grossman to become the games most valuable qb. Hey, like I said, it's a lot like rooting for the cubs.... you really have ta wanna.
    Another Skins fan, awesome. Rex Grossman? Rexy as MVP?

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Go Cowboys
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dyiadom
    Another Skins fan, awesome. Rex Grossman? Rexy as MVP?
    Well, you can honestly say, "You heard it here, first!"
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Outsourced Program Manager ChrisMiquel's Avatar
    Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins #1!!!!!!!!

Oops... I forgot were not in 1972.

At least I think were going to do better than last year with Pennington in charge of the offense.

Chris

Pittsburgh Steelers!

No particular reason other than rooting for the home team (which happens to rock!).
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medgen
    Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins #1!!!!!!!!

Chris
    Well, I am a Raven's fan and they are so nice enough to let your team beat us last season....

Cowboys. cause they are america's team. gotta love them, i mean, at the olypmics last month, who did you cheer for, the russians?

Pittsburgh Steelers. When you are born in the 'Burgh, you bleed black and gold for life.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Broncos!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    The next Super Bowl Champions, the mighty Atlanta Falcons.

Why? We just happened to be living (dad was stationed) in Atlanta around the time I first started getting into sports. So been a Falcons fan ever since.

There was a small window where I like the Oakland Raiders too, had a cool silver and black bomber jacket, it was coolz

Another Dolfan here, it's my home team. Yes we suck, but it can only get better from here! I have faith that Bill Parcells knows football, it starts in the trenches, and he started off by drafting a stud OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Broncos!
    Go Chiefs!! I'll love you anyway, Rexanne.
    Generate more fake news.

Da Bears!!!

The reason should be obvious.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I already ranted a little about the Lions in another thread, so I'll try to be positive here. But I don't think real fans really have a choice who there favorite team is, you should root for your hometown team (ok maybe i'm a little bitter, but how disgusted are you when everybody is all the sudden a fan of the best team).

That being said it seems like Calvin Johnson will not only be a monster on the field but also a true class act, might I say the receiver version of Barry Sanders. Not just yet but if he stays healthy his potential is through the roof. They finally invested a first round pick in their offensive line and everybody that knows football knows it starts it the trenches.

BTW it was recently stated in ESPN that Lions fans are some of the least loyal in which I strongly disagree. They sell out every year with no blackouts despite the crap they put on the field. If this team ever gets good this town will go crazy. Detroit is without a doubt one of the best sports cities in the country.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Where does a lifelong Angeleno even begin an answer to this question?

I could give a short answer or a long answer. As I sit here, mentally and physically exhausted after 3 months of dealing with some personal matters (a couple of which have required a lot of hard physical labor - including 12 of the past 13 days through today) that have severely limited my time at affiliate marketing and at ABW, but which are, as of a couple of hours ago, pretty much done with, sitting here and writing the long answer might be relaxing and therapeutic. (No one has to read any further, if in fact anyone has read this far.)

Growing up in LA I was first, last, and always, a baseball fan, playing every day, summer and winter, and going nuts when the Dodgers moved here. The Rams had preceded them here, but after the Rams fired coach Sid Gilman in 1958, they were a non-entitly at my house, as my father believed he was fired because of anti-semitism. (Of course, if owner Dan Reeves were an anti-semite, he would have never hired Gilman to begin with.) After Gilman left, the Rams went through many mediocre years, but in 1960 the American Football league was born, and so were the Los Angeles Chargers, coached by SID GILMAN, and featuring over the next few years one of the most exciting teams in football history, and some of the most talented players of all time - Lance Alworth, Keith Lincoln, Paul Lowe, Jock Mckinnon, Gary Garrison, but as a precursor of what was to follow years later, these guys made their history not in Los Angeles, but elsewhere, having moved to San Diego in 1961. I remained a Charger fanatic for many years, until 1982.

In 1982, the Raiders became the LA Raiders. and they became my team. I loved Al Davis, how he stood up to the NFL establishment, how he gave so many has been and never were players a second chance, how he was the first to hire head coaches like Tom Flores and Art Shell, and how he knew (then) how to win football games. I had season tickets for the 13 year existence of the LA Raiders, and seldom missed a game.

Off an on, depending on personalities, over the preceding few years, I also at times had rooted for the Rams. I liked Tommy Prothro when he was the coach, I liked Vince Ferragamo and Joe Namath when they were the quarterbacks, and I liked Carroll Rosenbloom when he bought the team, but when Mrs. Rosenbloom - Georgia Frontiere - had him murdered, fired Carroll's son Steve as President, and then ran the team into the ground, that was it, and then with the Raiders in LA, I hated EVERY other team, but especially the Rams and the Chargers.

Then 1994 came and went, and incredibly, so "went" both the Raiders and the Ram, at the same time. My hatred for the Rams continues to this day. I rooted for the Raiders for a while, but that waned year by year, in part due to Al Davis clearly having lost it, and the team's overall decline. I have no feelings for them now either way.

Basically, I have no team. My father is originally from Boston, and when I was young (beginning before the LA Dodgers, before the LA Lakers), I followed his rooting interest for his old teams, the Red Sox, the Boston-Milwaukee-Atlanta Braves, the Celtics, and the new kid on the block, the Boston-New England Patriots. I would not say I'm a NE fan, but I have enjoyed watching their excellence the past few years, and especially last year's run for perfection.

But, I have no team.

Every year, some new proposal is made to build a stadium, bring a team, make pigs fly. A new one surfaced last week, building a stadium, and bringing not one, but two teams here. Yea, right.

But then there is college football: GO BRUINS!!
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Exclamation
    giants CUZ IM FRON NY

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Where does a lifelong Angeleno even begin an answer to this question?
    Wow AH ... your entire post was way interesting and as a Los Angelina, I understand feel your pain although I didn't know anything about L.A. football before the 80s.

I became a Broncos fan when I bet on them to win because they were the underdogs at a party I was attending. They won that year (made me a nice chunk of fun coupons at the party) and went on to just KILL football for many years after that. Go Elway! Then I married a man from Denver so the Broncos became my kinda "home" team. I still love them and my kids are die hard Bronco fans, too, so I have a team, even though Los Angeles hasn't had one since the Rams.

How is that possible? We're one of the largest (and most heavily taxed) cities in the United States and we have no football team?!! Makes me crazy. We'd be great fans! The Lakers have one of the biggest fan bases in basketball and football would probably generate an even bigger and better fan base.

My father is from Boston, too and I've embraced the Pats after the Broncos lost Elway and stopped making it to every super bowl. My dad isn't a big fan but my cousin who is still in Boston is so I have a motive :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

How is that possible?
    There are a lot of reasons, but the biggest single reason was the position taken a few years ago by the politicians. The LA political leadership told the NFL that there was no choice - if a new team came to LA, they could only play in the Coliseum. There not only were teams with LA interest then, but Peter O'Malley wanted to build a football stadium next to Dodger Stadium, and the Roski-Anschutz group also wanted to build a stadium in Carson, where they ended up building the Home Depot soccer stadium. The NFL was acutely aware that no professional team could succeed in the antiquated Coliseum, with a 90,000 capacity and parking for 2-3 dozen cars. As time has gone by, proposals have gotten stranger and stranger, even including one a couple of years ago to build a stadium in Ontario, but with expansion passing LA by time and time again, interest with the NFL seems to have evaporated, especially as they continue to reap more and more TV and radio money, with an open LA tv market, rather than with the restrictions a local team would require.

Last week's story is the first ray of hope in a long time. Ed Roski, partner of Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz, who built Staples and the Home Depot stadium (minor cogs in their empire) want to build in the City of Industry (5 miles due south from me), and want to lure an existing team or two. I, for one, am really tired of seeing so many teams move as they do, and would prefer an expansion team, but as long as a new LA team is not the Rams and does not feature any Trojans at key positions, I'll be happy.

As to the Boston connection, some good guys have come from Boston (I hope Brent doesn't see this). My father led me down the path of sport's fanaticism, but I forged my own loyalties as time went on, but always have felt a soft spot for his old Boston teams.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

There are a lot of reasons, but the biggest single reason was the position taken a few years ago by the politicians. The LA political leadership told the NFL that there was no choice - if a new team came to LA, they could only play in the Coliseum. There not only were teams with LA interest then, but Peter O'Malley wanted to build a football stadium next to Dodger Stadium, and the Roski-Anschutz group also wanted to build a stadium in Carson, where they ended up building the Home Depot soccer stadium. The NFL was acutely aware that no professional team could succeed in the antiquated Coliseum, with a 90,000 capacity and parking for 2-3 dozen cars.
    Psha - Los Angelinos should insist we get our own team! This is stirring up the revolutionary in me. :-)

as long as a new LA team is not the Rams and does not feature any Trojans at key positions, I'll be happy.
    Why no Trojans?!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Why no Trojans?!
    UCLA, Class of 1971.

add:
    Another piece of fallout from all of this is the fact that Peter O'Malley was so disgusted with the lack of political support he received in his effort to bring a team here and build his own stadium, that that was the reason he decided to get out of sports altogether and to sell the Dodgers.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; September 7th, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add

UCLA, Class of 1971.
    OK understood but we'd get some killer players if we tapped into the Trogans.

add:
    Another piece of fallout from all of this is the fact that Peter O'Malley was so disgusted with the lack of political support he received in his effort to bring a team here and build his own stadium, that that was the reason he decided to get out of sports altogether and to sell the Dodgers.
    Arghhhhh The people need to get vocal here and make a stink. Maybe then we'd have a team!

*slips off the revolution cap and tries not to think about it*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I don't really like football but I love any team that Brett Farve is on. He's cute even for an old guy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast