Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Redirecting a domain to my affiliate link - "legal?"
    For various reasons, I want to just redirect a domain I have to my affiliate link, instead of having a site there.

    Is this a violation of CJ's TOS? I can't find a clear answer.


    Thanks for any pointers.

  2. #2
    general fuq mrbshouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Argieville
    Posts
    1,381
    if you mean redirect to a page of your links no problem, but if you mean redirecting to a live link that takes someone to a merchant page, big no no

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks - this is what I was in fact talking about - auto redirecting straight to my affiliate link which would then forward them to the merchant site.

    I've figured out a really simple way to do a meta redirect that is undetectable to search engines, so my site could still get search engine traffic but just go straight to the home site via my affiliate link when a non-search visitor went to it.

    What's the chance I would get caught doing this? (by CJ or my merchant)

  4. #4
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    You would need to check with the merchant, it is not against the network TOS that I am aware of. Affiliates frequently redirect domains to merchant sites via affiliate links.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Oh? I like your answer better.

  6. #6
    general fuq mrbshouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Argieville
    Posts
    1,381
    Loxly, it could be if it's cyber squatting a mispleeld name

    as such is against TOS and your chances of being caught are 100%.


    As Loxly mentioned talk to the merchant and ask what they think it's the only safe answer

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by flnazrael
    What's the chance I would get caught doing this? (by CJ or my merchant)
    If the practice is against the merchants TOS you shouldn't do it, period. And that precludes worrying about getting caught...



    X

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2008
    Posts
    7
    OK... for what it's worth, my domain name is not anything similar to my merchant's whatsoever. I just have some really nice links pointing to it, plus it's getting an exact match domain name bonus in Google, Yahoo, and MSN for a decent term. So I don't want to give that up.

    I have asked the merchant about this, I think there's going to be quite a delay before they answer though.

  9. #9
    Moderator Nabz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2005
    Location
    VY Canis Majoris
    Posts
    1,751
    Finally I meet a Search Engine Spammer. Hello

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Not really - if anything I'm saving the user time.

    Scenario 1: They see my site in the results, they visit it and spend a 10-30 seconds reading my desperate pitch to get them to click my aff link.

    Scenario 2: They see my site in the results, visit it, get redirected, and have to wait precisely 0 seconds to see what I'm really offering and judge whether or not they want it.

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by flnazrael
    OK... for what it's worth, my domain name is not anything similar to my merchant's whatsoever. I just have some really nice links pointing to it, plus it's getting an exact match domain name bonus in Google, Yahoo, and MSN for a decent term. So I don't want to give that up.

    I have asked the merchant about this, I think there's going to be quite a delay before they answer though.
    You might consider reading the merchant's TOS to find your answer. The published TOS is the bottom line. Unfortunately some merchants haven't created well though out TOSs that leave them open to cheaters. But rather than taking the easy way out, how about doing it above board and create a website...



    X

  12. #12
    general fuq mrbshouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Argieville
    Posts
    1,381
    you say you have links pointed at it....pointed at what? you want to redirect it to the merchant

  13. #13
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Maybe I am reading something wrong, but the word cookie stuffing is ringing on my ear.

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Maybe I am reading something wrong, but the word cookie stuffing is ringing on my ear.
    You're not reading anything wrong. That's exactly what it is and it's a violation of both the Commission Junction Publisher Service Agreement and the Commission Junction Code of Conduct.

    http://www.cj.com/psa.html

    https://www.cj.com/code_of_conduct.html

  15. #15
    general fuq mrbshouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Argieville
    Posts
    1,381
    even so if there is an agreement with the merchant it could be possible, based on type in traffic or other concerns, but what i read is

    a cloaked link jokey redirecting to merchants via a forced click

  16. #16
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by flnazrael
    What's the chance I would get caught doing this? (by CJ or my merchant)
    What I read from this flnazrael is that you would have no problem utilizing black-hat methods as long as you don't get caught...



    X

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador ToughTurkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    993
    This is yet another example of the judgmental responses you get on these boards in recent months. A good answer was given by loxly in post #4. It was accurate, helpful, and sufficient. Why do we then get into self-righteous name calling?

    A newbie asks a valid question and he is called a cookie-stuffer, a spammer, a black-hatter, a cloaked linked "jokey"?, and a cyber squatter. Why would this newbie ever come back here and become a member of the family?

  18. #18
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Yup ToughTurkey, a tactic that is misunderstood is immediately labeled bad. Like other methods, this can be misused, but it actually has quite a lot of ethical, acceptable uses.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  19. #19
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by flnazrael
    What's the chance I would get caught doing this? (by CJ or my merchant)
    Does this not raise a red flag to ToughTurkey or loxly?



    X

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    What Tough Turkey and Loxly. Some merchants are fine with it. It's kind of like a cobrand site. If fact, there are merchants themselves doing it, like some merchants at SAS where their url is theirsite.com/affilid (or cobrand) and they have affiliates sending them traffic.

    If someone had christmastrees.com and a merchant registered christmas-tress.com and was using that as their site and the one having the domain without the dash asked the merchant if they wanted the traffic direct thru their affiliate link. Don't see a problem with it.

    Another example, let's say I bought a domain and parked it at SEDO right away, then realized it was getting a lot of type in traffic related to something a merchant was selling. And that merchant said that's nice traffic and we want that, why don't you direct it to us thru your affiliate link. Why not.

    "What's the chance I would get caught doing this? (by CJ or my merchant)"

    Does this not raise a red flag to ToughTurkey or loxly?"

    You have to take each situation and look at it, the rules for each network/merchant etc. It's not a blanket type of deal. Have no idea his exact plans, could be ok, might not be.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    June 7th, 2006
    Posts
    1,596
    I agree with ToughTurkey as well. Seems the last few months new people are welcomed with disdain. Certainly not good for a forums health in the long run.

  22. #22
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    What Tough Turkey and Loxly. Some merchants are fine with it. It's kind of like a cobrand site. If fact, there are merchants themselves doing it, like some merchants at SAS where their url is theirsite.com/affilid (or cobrand) and they have affiliates sending them traffic.

    If someone had christmastrees.com and a merchant registered christmas-tress.com and was using that as their site and the one having the domain without the dash asked the merchant if they wanted the traffic direct thru their affiliate link. Don't see a problem with it.

    Another example, let's say I bought a domain and parked it at SEDO right away, then realized it was getting a lot of type in traffic related to something a merchant was selling. And that merchant said that's nice traffic and we want that, why don't you direct it to us thru your affiliate link. Why not.

    "What's the chance I would get caught doing this? (by CJ or my merchant)"

    Does this not raise a red flag to ToughTurkey or loxly?"

    You have to take each situation and look at it, the rules for each network/merchant etc. It's not a blanket type of deal. Have no idea his exact plans, could be ok, might not be.
    Yep... and so my posts above hammering the OP to read the TOSs...



    X

  23. #23
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    This is yet another example of the judgmental responses you get on these boards in recent months. A good answer was given by loxly in post #4. It was accurate, helpful, and sufficient. Why do we then get into self-righteous name calling?

    A newbie asks a valid question and he is called a cookie-stuffer, a spammer, a black-hatter, a cloaked linked "jokey"?, and a cyber squatter. Why would this newbie ever come back here and become a member of the family?
    Do you call this a valid question?:
    I've figured out a really simple way to do a meta redirect that is undetectable to search engines, so my site could still get search engine traffic but just go straight to the home site via my affiliate link when a non-search visitor went to it.

    What's the chance I would get caught doing this? (by CJ or my merchant)
    If that's a valid question, and you think that we have called the newbie a bad name thing, then maybe you can explain here how to do, what the newbie wants to do, so we all can do it, and get away with it too.

    Do you really believe that there is nothing wrong with someone who admits to be cheating the competition by fooling the search engines, and with someone who is afraid to get caught doing something that by his own admission have to ask: "What's the chance I would get caught doing this?"

    If maybe the newbie have made a mistake on the way he asked the questions, and the newbie is not doing anything wrong, then why would the newbie don't reply back and say so.

    Anyway, I don't care what other people may do to cheat the system until they eventually get caugth, but I sure won't be helping anyone get away with something I know is wrong, and that can aslo hurt my business.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    June 7th, 2006
    Posts
    1,596
    It's still a valid question. All anyone had to do is reply it's against TOS and not acceptable.

    I am still with ToughTurkey and Loxly on this one.

  25. #25
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    "Chances of getting caught" *is* a red flag, but that is assuming what they are doing is wrong or against the merchant TOS. I see the references that Snowman is pointing out as being for software redirection, not for a domain url redirect.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Opinion: "store" affiliate link in navigation menu ?
    By trienthusiast in forum Newbie Affiliate FAQs & Helpful Articles
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM
  3. Redirecting slow. How to dispay "please wait" message?
    By wallstreet in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
  5. Datafeeds & Google: bad "news" - Are you a "thin affiliate" ?
    By heisje in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •