Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I received an email today soliciting me to buy something. The email had 3 companies (offering the same thing) to select from. I knew two of them were CJ merchants, as I promote them myself. I then clicked through the 3rd and found that they also run an affiliate program. In reading that affiliate agreement (i had never heard of the company), it clearly states spam is not allowed.

Would you report this as spam, or just ignore it and not bother? At least for me, I now found another company to compare to those that i already use (i've joined their program).

Robin

So your conscious is hurting a little since you benefited from the SPAM??? I wouldn't let it. If these people were playing by the rules, you would have never become their competition.

Report the spam to the Merchants. If they don't want spam and nobody reports them, how will they know? The Merchat's name and reputation is at stake.

You should report it.

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

In my opinion, it's most fair to let the publisher know that you would like to be removed from their list. If they don't respond or if you receive it again, then you complain to the service provider. If, for some reason, that fails then you could send something to the actual advertiser.

I know that, as an advertising company, it's frustrating to be the first person notified of a spam problem when the publisher, after being notified, is very responsive and quick to address the issue. It just means that more people have had to be involved and spend their time to correct a problem that, initially, should be addressed at the source.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com
    Help Fight Parasite Ware - We Do!

I agree with SJohnson - report those suckers!

They know they are violating their agreement, and I've yet to come across a merchant who condones spamming as a form of promoting them, so it's not like they shouldn't be aware that spamming is forbidden.

Maybe they'll learn their lesson and become productive instead of a social irritant.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Report 'em. Since the actual spammers are likely pathetic little losers and not high-rolling scum, the networks will happily take the moral high ground and kill their accounts.
    Wayne

Emphatically YES!

Report the Spam.

Spammers creating a bad name for the merchant and any chance you have of gaining the confidence of a new prospective visitor.

If the customer remembers the merchant associated with the annoying SPAM. The new visitor can and will associate your site with SPAM.

Those who do not take action can not cry when they are hurt by what they could have prevented!

Absolutely will/would!!!

We report atleast 3 - 5 a week. Matter of fact, we reported a spam (bot crawled our site and spammed all of our form submission address's) this morning to a merchant who wrote back that the affiliate is no longer active in their program and thanked us for reporting this incident.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Affiliate Manager
    I would say that if you are 100% positively sure that you did not opt into the persons email list then yes report it...

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

The eVitamins Parasite & Scumware Policy:
    http://www.evitamins.com/parasitepolicy.asp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Profitman:
    In my opinion, it's most fair to let the publisher know that you would like to be removed from their list. If they don't respond or if you receive it again, then you complain to the service provider. If, for some reason, that fails then you could send something to the actual advertiser.

I know that, as an advertising company, it's frustrating to be the first person notified of a spam problem when the publisher, after being notified, is very responsive and quick to address the issue. It just means that more people have had to be involved and spend their time to correct a problem that, initially, should be addressed at the source.

_Joe Flores_
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    http://www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com)
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...></BLOCKQUOTE>
    But, opting out of most of these things just confirms that the email address is valid and working so they can spam you some more. Some of the honest and legite sites would remove you, so if you are the type of person to sign up for stuff, I say try to unsubscribe, but if you don't and haven't in years, report em.

I'm glad that everyone has a firm stance on SPAM but, in dealing with some of the nicest and most responsive publishers around, I've learned that not everyone who gets a SPAM complaint is a deceitful jerk. That's why I think it's important to give the offender a chance first.

If another publisher cruised by your site and thought it looked a little too much like their own, perhaps you got a template from the same source and promote similar products, would you rather they addressed the issue with you personally or by shouting copyright violation to all of your business partners? As much as this industry has some poor practices, I think we'd all appreciate the benefit of the doubt.

Obviously, this is based on the limited information provided and doesn't apply to blatant and purposeful SPAM.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Absolutely report it. If you did not request the email from the party who sent it, then it is unsolicited commercial email and hence spam.

What gets my goat even more is when the spam is coming directly from the merchant. The bright side is that it weeds out merchants for me to stay away from. I've actually had a recent experience with a merchant who sold my address to a spam list. The number of spams I've been getting to that particular address has been steadily increasing over the last couple of weeks. Being resold from spammer to spammer I'm sure.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with everyone else 100% and disagree with profitman 100%. Never, ever, ever, ever, optout. You know if you signed up or not, why would you be opted in?

I have dealt with these scumbags on a large level for our mail service, they are all full of it. We have spamtraps, get filled, report them, their isp will say the publisher insists you signed up - all 10 email addresses at the exact same time and... um..oh.. they couldn't find the ip address. Get C&Ds from the spammers lawyers insisting we are tryign to break their contract with their isps with lies. Of course they never follow up because they know who is lying.

There is never a single solitary reason to get adverising spam like that, if they were great responsive publishers like profitman claims, they would have had a double-opt in list and you would have never gotten the mail in the first place. Any mailer who does not require double-opt in does for one reason - so he can spam.

Chet

Spam is unfair competition. Eliminate the spammers, and you eliminate the unfair competition. Sounds good to me.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Profitman:
    Obviously, this is based on the limited information provided and doesn't apply to blatant and purposeful SPAM.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Billions of single and double opt-in emails are sent daily to willing and appreciative subscribers. If there's even a 1% chance that someone who doesn't like you might have entered your name into a list, the publisher deserves the courtesy of being addressed directly. This is outside of several other incidents I have seen where a user complained about SPAM, only to find definitive evidence that they signed up for the list and forgot.

I'm not saying that this is the case here. I am just saying that it's not necessarily cut and dry and, for a bunch of people who rely on advertiser revenue, everyone seems awful quick to ruin someone else's business relationships and personal income without determining if it was a mistake or if the person would happily remove you from their list.

It's like a person thinking that an adult exit-pop from the site they just left is coming from you and, rather than addressing it with you, they contact all the other advertisers they see on your site and tell them you're an adult content peddler.

Granted, there are plenty of people out there who do this and really are the bad guy, but if you're not one of them, it sure sucks to be treated like one. Just remember that.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com

For those of you who believe there may have been a booboo made and wish to give that person a second chance, you are actually condoning SPAM.

The news media, contractual agreements, SCREAMING emails from merchants are all very clear on SPAM issues.

Even those that sent the SPAM have received SPAM like the rest of us "TONS of SPAM", there is no ignorance clause in any contract I signed.

Anyone utilizing 3 Network Merchants in there EMAIL obviously has ignored the rules or is trying to get away with sending out maybe a few billion emails. Perhaps this person is hoping YOU say, “They could have made a booboo give them another chance”.

While you are at it, better make sure that person has your email address, send him a complaint. Yes definitely verify your email address, so he can add you to all kinds of mailing list. Hey better yet he can now sell a verified email address to others.

Yes that’s the ticket!

Promote SPAM.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for all the great replies! I wanted to report this spam, but didn't know if this is what most people usually do. I will clarify some questions asked here. First of all, this spam was sent for a loan (I am not and have never been in any kind of debt.) I do have a mortgage, but this was not related to that kind of loan. Therefore, I know I would have never signed up on any kind of email list for this type of loan.

As mentioned before, this email I received was giving me a choice of 3 loans, 2 Cj merchants, and 1 other- obviously not spam directly from the merchant.

Now, I have always been told to never reply to any kind of spam, such as telling them to remove or change my email since that verifies that my email account is a valid one.

Furthermore, what really pisses me of is just being spammed. It's like those stupid telemarketers who are continuing to call even though we are on the so called 'no call' list. When that callerid shows up 'out of area' it's a dead giveaway. I am doing my affiliate marketing in an honest way and I think these jerks should too. Thanks for giving me the inspiration to report these people. Hopefully, they are not abestwebbers!

Maybe this should've been posted on CJ, but since the 3rd company was from one I never even heard of (partnerweekly.com) I figured this was a good forum to use.

Robin

ABW Ambassador
    One other comment I'd like to make since the opt in opt out issue keeps coming up is the following. I normally use an excite email account for everything. When I buy somethinbg at the gap or barnes and noble or whereever, I know they have my address and are going to send me email about sales and such (annoying, but expected)

This particular email is my email account for my website which I have don't use for buying anything. I don't even give the address out, except for affiliate stuff. Therefore, I did not opt in to be solicited for a loan.

I appreciate your opinion profitman, but I hope that clears up some of the details. If you'd like more, just let me know.

Thanks again!

Geee ??? I dont rember opting in to get a thousand E-mails for breast inlargement.
    I must have forgot
    Report-um

"I did'nt get where I'm at today by worrying about how I'm going to feel tomorrow."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    Anyone utilizing 3 Network Merchants in there EMAIL obviously has ignored the rules or is trying to get away with sending out maybe a few billion emails.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was trying to identify a practical solution to reducing unsolicited email. Plenty of comparison shopping sites have newsletters with multiple affiliate links in them. Not every one of them is a spammer.

I hate using unsubscribe links that turn into a larger SPAM problem too, but I would hate to think that I left some SOHO publisher out to dry with one of his advertisers because I assumed the worst.

However, in seeing more details of this particular case, I feel it is one best handled as others have described. I only believe that each should be handled on a case by case basis, rather than a worst case scenario, and there wasn't enough info in this case to jump to conclusions about someone who might be a hard working publisher like the people here.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Joe, I appreciate your additional comments.

Hmm, Robert, maybe someone is trying to tell you something. Breast enlargement?

Ahhh..sheesh. Mortgage spam. I get about 30 of those a day now. With the subject line containing my full name and city in which I live.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    Anyone utilizing 3 Network Merchants in there EMAIL obviously has ignored the rules or is trying to get away with sending out maybe a few billion emails. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That, like practically everything anyone prefaces with "obviously," is wrong.

When I started out, I had a small (under 100 subscribers) email list. In the emails would be 2 or 3 CJ ads, followed by the newsletter.

I got permission from the advertisers to use their links in the emails (no "ignoring the rules"), and I most certainly did *not* have "billions" of email addresses to send to!

Also, it wasn't a "double opt-in" list. Double opt-in was just starting to gain ground, and it seemed to be quite an unnecessary PITA to bother with for my little site. So I didn't. Not because I wanted to spam, but because the likelihood of getting fake signups was very minimal.

Still, it wasn't a spam list by any stretch of the imagination!

(As for what happened to the list, I got sick of writing a newsletter every week. It got to be like a j*b!!! And the returns weren't worth it.)

So I can see Profitman's points.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    Mortgage spam. I get about 30 of those a day now. With the subject line containing my full name and city in which I live.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    So, the spammers know what we're all trying to figure out...

Nowadays these spammers do anything and everything with your addy if you ask to be opted out so I don't even bother.

Spammers have driven the industry from a very lucrative business situation to a den of complete fury. I have to adhere to the rules and they don't? Screw Them, and with barbed wire attached to the corkscrew!

Going right now to report another spammer to an AM!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So, the spammers know what we're all trying to figure out... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just pick me out of that 10M address CD ROM for $149.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast