Newbie Datafeed Question
    Hello,

So I'm one of the newbie's just doing some research and after days of researching this topic I am still a bit confused (must be cause I'm a newbie lol).

Anyhow, my question is..I see that there are many different networks where datafeeds can be downloaded from and the networks have different tools to somewhat format the data on your website. Just wondering if you need data from different networks to create one main database how do you combine all the feeds? I've seen a few software programs online but not all merchants use them so if you are interested in some of the merchants that don't use these softwares you are back to square one. Would at this point you just create your own programming to combine all the feeds and then download them on your site as one?

I hope I am making a little bit of sense here...please don't throw me to the dogs if I'm asking a stupid question...after reading some of the posts I'm a bit scared of you guys...lol.

THanks,
    Frogster

http and a telephoto
    There is a datafeed forum that isn't listed on the main page but is under the Programming section that may have some useful information for you:

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=193

If you are familiar with databases and how to import data into them you can use any datafeed without a program to manipulate them, but if you aren't then most folks have custom solutions or use the programs that exists already.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by frogster
    Hello,

So I'm one of the newbie's just doing some research and after days of researching this topic I am still a bit confused (must be cause I'm a newbie lol).

Anyhow, my question is..I see that there are many different networks where datafeeds can be downloaded from and the networks have different tools to somewhat format the data on your website. Just wondering if you need data from different networks to create one main database how do you combine all the feeds? I've seen a few software programs online but not all merchants use them so if you are interested in some of the merchants that don't use these softwares you are back to square one. Would at this point you just create your own programming to combine all the feeds and then download them on your site as one?

I hope I am making a little bit of sense here...please don't throw me to the dogs if I'm asking a stupid question...after reading some of the posts I'm a bit scared of you guys...lol.

THanks,
    Frogster
    Wordpress has a nice server side data feed generator
    http://www.wordpressdatafeed.com/

Another user friendly data feed generator is located at:
    http://affiliatefeedgenerator.com/

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Datafeeds are confusing. If you want to use datafeeds from multiple networks together you'll need to do some programming.

Set up a database and a database table (mysql) . Include fields/columns for each column of data contained in the feeds that you'll import.

Set up a script (php) that matches the table fields/columns with those in each network's datafeed format and imports the data.

When you later need to use the information you just look at the info in the database table.

Quote Originally Posted by frogster
    Hello,

THanks,
    Frogster

Or, hey, you could check out PopShops.com. Has a lot of nice tools and many, MANY merchant datafeeds. Comes in 3 monthly pay plans, the most basic is free.

Many of us here use PopShops.com with some success.

Search the forums and you'll get tons of info about datafeeds.
    Generate more fake news.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread