Thread: DazzlingRugs.com Ceasing Operations

Exclamation DazzlingRugs.com Ceasing Operations
    ...and also discontinuing affiliate program.

Just a heads up to those of you who are aboard their program.

Geno

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Tough niche, one where a wide selection is one major key to converting visitors, and one they lacked. Other than that, I thought they'd slog through things and grow over time, other aspects seemed to be done well. Sorry to see them go, but when you do understand the serious work level and steep investment costs involved in having a wide selection, it's not terribly surprising that they weren't satisfied with their progress and ceased it at this point. Best of luck to them.

Thanks for the notice. I wish I could get a notice for each deactivated merchant by e-mail.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 25trees
    I wish I could get a notice for each deactivated merchant by e-mail.
    I wish your wish will become true...I've been wishing this for so long that I don't wish anymore

Geno, thanks for the heads up. Need to go replace their links.

My wish just came true.

DazzlingRugs.com Closing. Affiliate Program Change.

I should have wished for 10 pounds of gold

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 25trees
    My wish just came true.
    That's Geno's personal effort.

I thought you were talking about wishing SAS send out merchant closing notice emails. (That's my wish which haven't come true yet, or will it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Tough niche, one where a wide selection is one major key to converting visitors, and one they lacked. Other than that, I thought they'd slog through things and grow over time, other aspects seemed to be done well...
    Excellent diagnosis, Donuts (the optimistic prognosis is also appreciated).

Points to clarify: DazzlingRugs.com was my own endeavor. I had a great supplier (the manufacturer themselves), fair original prices, a very nice deal with DHL on international shipments, but the products were fairly high-end, and the overall product selection was indeed too narrow. Finding new suppliers turned out to be quite a challenge. Yes, the project did have the potential, but after playing with it for over a year (14+ months, to be exact), investing much more than the sales have covered, I've decided not to continue with this business any longer, but rather focus on the things that I do best (translation and affiliate marketing). Hence, the decision to wrap-up this business and close its affiliate program.

Should anyone be interested in the domain name (registered through 07/25/2010), website and the whole thing it is built on (it's based on a hand-tuned version of osCommerce), feel free to PM/e-mail me. It can work either as a merchant or as an affiliate website.

Geno

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Next time we meet in person Geno, let's talk about this in further detail. I'd like to learn more from you about what was working and what wasn't. In my own rug selling, I've seen that it takes years to get decent seo positions, but now that I have them, I am quite happy with things and the profit equation has tipped in a different direction.

Besides chatting more about the specifics of the rug business and it's supply chain and shipping and warehousing issues, I'd like to discuss with you how the upfront investment of online investments have changed over the last few years - I think it's now MUCH more difficult to just waltz into a sector and grab a slice... it takes expertise and patience by the truckload. Seo takes a very long time now (relative to the early days) and I wonder what today's online biz plan looks like, compared to 5 years ago...

I'm also interested to hear from you, when your next book will be coming out. I thoroughly enjoyed the last one.

Should anyone be interested in the domain name (registered through 07/25/2010), website and the whole thing it is built on (it's based on a hand-tuned version of osCommerce), feel free to PM/e-mail me.
    Is there a starting price or minimum offer you can share?
    Does the vendor relationship likely convey / endure?

Geno, I'm asking publicly here, more for discussion's sake than any buyer's interest on my part - so feel no need at all to answer these questions if you'd prefer not to, no problem from me on that, but was wondering about the general value of a merchant site and that kind of thing, and wondered if that kind of discussion is of interest to others here, so I done went and asked ya. :-)

Hmmm, I sure seem to have a lot of questions... maybe there's more interest here than even I think... let's stew on it some and talk soon buddy. :-)

Next time we meet in person Geno, let's talk about this in further detail. I'd like to learn more from you about what was working and what wasn't.
    I'd be happy to have this chat with you, pal.

I think it's now MUCH more difficult to just waltz into a sector and grab a slice... it takes expertise and patience by the truckload. Seo takes a very long time now (relative to the early days)...
    Very true.

I'm also interested to hear from you, when your next book will be coming out. I thoroughly enjoyed the last one.
    Thank you. You've never told me that. Last feedback I got on ABW about it was in a form of a storm of criticism (mainly from those that haven't read it through). It's definitely good to know that people like yourself did find the book of use. It was meant to be of practical use, and it is certainly good to read/know what your wrote. I do not plan to have the second edition out earlier than 6-7 months from now, but I'll definitely keep you posted on it.

Is there a starting price or minimum offer you can share?
    Does the vendor relationship likely convey / endure?
    The vendor relationship can endure should there be interest and demand (they are open, and will trust my recommendation). As for the starting price, I'll consider offers from $450 and higher. Thank you for asking these questions publicly, D.

Besides an established infrastructure, the website has a PR of 2, and fairly good rankings on some keywords (e.g.: MSN: #10 for "Romanian rugs", #1 for "fairy tale rug", #3 for "fairy rug" on MSN; "rug dealer online" - #4 on MSN; "rug dealer" - #11 on AltaVista and AllTheWeb; Google traffic from keywords like "princess rugs", "contemporary rug", etc). There is good potential here.

Geno

10. Newsletter Signup