Spyware?
    Since yesterday, if I do a Google search, then click on results, I get first a redirect with the beginning URL topdir2.com... and sometimes a search site will come up (I've got a site called lowpriceshopper.com this time, but there have been others). If I click out of it, and click the search result again, I get the site I intended.
    Anyone know what is going on?
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; September 9th, 2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: unlinked sites
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Big Hug to Andy!
    thanks!
    Dyan Carlson

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    guinness - sounded nasty - was it spyware? How did you fix it?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hey Rexanne-
    Haven't fixed it yet. Andy R. called and said to do a system restore, but it didn't take.
    I've got a ticket into our IT people. It's very frustrating, especially with all the sites I look at in a day. Not to mention, not know what part, if any, the affiliate has in this.
    I will keep you updated and hopefully post a fix when it happens.
    D
    Dyan Carlson

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    From Microsoft forum.

Definitely a baddie ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Spybot Search & Destroy newest version no detects over 295,000 spyware/adware variations and will detect & get rid of this crapware
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Spybot Search & Destroy newest version no detects over 295,000 spyware/adware variations and will detect & get rid of this crapware
    Mike, we miss you dude .....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Ha.. topdir2.com is registered by Vivids Media GmbH and is running off a server in Latvia. Vivids Media is a name that often seems to come up when malware sites are mentioned.

I recommend having a look at the F-Secure Online Scanner before doing anything too drastic with your system.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Go to eset .com and download their online scanner and scan your computer and see what it finds.

The only security I run on my computer is eset and Windows Defender and I have never had anything happen to it so far.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

AVG / Ewido also have a good online scanner.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

thanks for all the great advice!
    I tried eset and it wouldn't work.
    then I did AVG/evido and it took forever, but found 40 viruses. nice.
    but when I tried to install the cleaner, it said there was another anti-virus program already installed on my computer and it wouldn't do it.
    the other program is company mandated and obviously isn't working because it was just about 2 months ago that I had to get my computer wiped clean by our IT people because it was so infected.
    needless to say, it has been a very frustrating morning.
    Dyan Carlson

Can't download F-Secure Online Scanner.
    I guess I wait now for our IT department to get to me, probably in a week or two.
    In the meantime, I will just pull my hair out and watch my computer implode.
    Dyan Carlson

You might try SUPERAntiSpyware [. com]. I purchased the pro version for the realtime monitor, but the free version works just as well. I've had good success with it and use it to fix my client's computers. It even detects root kits. I don't know if it will run with your antivirus software, but it will run with other anti spyware software installed. Be sure to update the latest signitures after installation. If it doesn't clean everything up the first time, run it in safe mode. Good luck.

X

ok, I must have said the right thing because I got a visit from our IT department a few minutes ago.
    Basically, he said that it was Google that hijacked the browser and to never set google as your default browser because you give them full control over your entire computer.
    He made me a new profile, wiped out all of my settings and favorites. Needless to say, I am busy recreating my whole email and internet.
    He said he didn't fix the problem, merely went around it because they don't have the time to fully diagnose problems like this.
    Dyan Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    said that it was Google that hijacked the browser
    I have a hard time believing this ....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    I have a hard time believing this ....
    Yep. Me too. Except for the part about circumventing the problem. No self respecting IT guy would have left it like that...

X

Oh and I forgot to mention that I was in the middle of a new search term spreadsheet when all of this happened.
    Guess what?
    GONE.
    ain't life great!
    JUST FREAKIN' GREAT???????
    ok, time to leave and enjoy some old friends, like Jack and Johnny.
    with lots of ice...
    thanks to everyone for all of your help!
    Dyan Carlson

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Try a system restore while in Safe Mode. Turn on machine and repeatedly hit F8 (I believe) until options show up. Perhaps in Safe Mode you can successfully restore to a previous date without adware interference.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Mike, we miss you dude .....
    Howdie Andy .... your growth in AM management accounts, and the demand for your expertise in driving sales no longer needs any of my training wheels. That's all I ever offered as you quickly learned how to ride the AM bike without them....

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hi Mike.

Them Ad Whores are at it AGAIN.

How's Charlie.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Well Google itself ( Google Apps) wouldn't be the culpret. Just use www.siteadvisor to make sure URLs and search listings aren't showing that Red Flag indicating potential driveby downloads. Check your .Host file hasn't been corrupted or just erase it and let windows rebuild it on next clean boot.

Personally I'm a Microsoft "OneCare" believer as my usual infested local support clients all never call me anymore after I install this on their systems.

Recovering old email, address books etc can be done by Googling email client restore tips. Sometimes a email tool like Mozilla/Firefox "Thunderbird" can auto find and import Outlook and Outlook Express email settings and archieved files during a fresh install.

All in all the internet world is getting real spooky on the Adware/spyware front as SpyBot jumped for 87,000 profiled exploits to 295,000 in just 1 year and a half. Commission hijackers breed like rabbits or basement mold.

Hi All and Charlie is doing just great, even though he's upset over my colostomy trick bag. Damn thing makes some noises and Charlie squawks "Who Sh*t their pants" .... LOL.

This morning I installed Microsoft's Malware Removal Tool and it found this:
    Trojan:Win32/Zlob.AR
    which Microsoft describes as malware that modifies IE settings, redirects, etx.
    I've been able to remove it, at least partially.
    Dyan Carlson

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread