Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Got this e-mail today. I run the parasite script on it:

I came to your website looking for a gift...fully prepared to order today.

Upon your homepage opening, i found three-quarters of it, filled with the
    message that my browser had contracted several dozen parasites...and
    actually was totally infected

This i know to be totally untrue and then, when clicking on the supplied
    link to remove the parasite, it leads nowhere..

Your site is a disgrace. It is 3/4 filled with utter fabrication.....What
    does that say about your honesty and integrity as online sellers. Con men,
    scam artists...those notions spring to mind

I would never purchase anything from someone who deliberately falsifies,
    deceives and tells you that your PC is infected, immediately you visit their
    homepage.

With a homepage like you are currently running...i doubt if you'll last a
    year.

Disgraceful.

Download Site Map Creator Today

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perfectG:

This i know to be totally untrue and then, when clicking on the supplied
    link to remove the parasite, it leads nowhere..
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Just re-read this bit. He/She knew it was totally untrue, yet still clicked the link to clean their machine.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    ROFL! Well if their system is so infected it took up 3/4 of the page listing the infections, it's a wonder they are able to get to any web site.

No big deal for that visitor not to shop on your site. With much of an infestation, good chance someone else would have gotten the credit anyhow.

It really takes all kinds. You should see some of the customer emails I get at time. People seem to love to go off for no reason and when they are totally ignorant about what they are talking about.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

3/4's of a full page of infections listed! Holy parasites .. parasite man!!

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

ABW Ambassador
    This does bring something to mind for me to consider. I had modified my parasite script to do a popunder instead of dynamically writting out the text on the page and I set a cookie so that the popunder only occurs 1 time for the session.

With all the poup blockers coming out, I should probably reconsider using a popunder and dynamically write the text instead.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

Actually I stopped using the detection script on most pages because of the performance impact, but I've had similar ones but none quite so rude!

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe they're a parasite co. themselves and are just trying to get you to question the integrity of the script...I wouldn't sweat it...but I'm dying of curiosity to know what's on their machine!!

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

ABW Ambassador
    I'll let you know if they apologize or not. I sent them to download a copy of Ad-Aware, and to the parasiteware.com site.

They forget to add,

PS : I'm going to spend my hard earned money at ebates.com, they never tell me my computer is infected, plus I get a rebate!!!

My experience with the detection script has been very positive. Of the people who've commented about it, well over half have been appreciative of the notice.

I also got the feeling a few were going to have a talk with their kids for downloading stuff without permission...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I have had a reply from this person. Not apologizing, but asking me to. Here is their reply. Anyone understand what is going on here?

Maybe Celicaphile is correct?

Andy..

I thank you for your prompt reply...I mean that...but i doubt i you will
    reply to this, as you probably wont have the answer..

But heres where im having a problem...and would ask you to look again at the
    credibility of the person who created this script...Your views on this would
    be appreciated.

1) I have SpywareBlaster, fully activated and upto date, have you heard of
    it?.
    It blocks every one of those listed parasites at source..it does not allow
    them to be downloaded..i double checked...therefore i do not have any
    parasites / infections / viruses on my PC, tracking cookies, Data miners,
    Red Sheriff trackers or any other kind of spyware

2) I have "SpyBot Search and Destroy" upto date and run it twice a
    day...that also removes every piece of spyware that your site claimed i
    had..i run it ..my system was clear...and yet when i returned to your
    site..it listed exactly the same parasites were present on my PC

3) I have the latest, upto date version of Norton AV+ZoneAlarm..fully
    operational

4) I run Adaware daily...that also is upto date..that also came up clear

5) I had another person access your site..on a two day old, only ever
    accessed the net for approx 4hrs..and guess what..he had exactly the same
    parasites..I find that hard to believe, when he only accessed the Symantec
    AV site and Microsoft update

6) My Java and ActiveX controls are set at their highest settings.

I cleared all cookies / Temp Dir / Cache...ran all of the above...and yet
    your site still claimed i had all those pieces of spyware / trackers /
    parasites running around on my PC...

Also..I turned off SpywareBlaster (Which blocks dubious things being
    downloaded and will not let the page download)...and i suddenly had full
    access.

So..im afraid...It is not me who is ignorant..unless you can explain, after
    all of the above...how all these "Parasites / Infections" are being missed
    by some of the best Anti-Spyware software on the market today..Because im
    sure they would love to know.

Your site is running a deceitful script, maybe you were unaware, which i
    believe is the case, but it is totally wrong.

I would like a reply...I really would.

I think someone is being less than honest with you.

Luckily for me I don't partner with any parasite associated merchants so I have no need for such a script. The womans reply was very detailed, do you think the script could have made a mistake in any way, also you need to realize that the script could be doing more bad than good when it comes to sales.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perfectG:
    access.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like SpywareBlaster has an issue with the parasite script....?

ABW Ambassador
    JJJay the script is primarily to inform my visitors that they have infections on their machine. Nothing to do with my partnership with merchants.

Its second purpose is then to try to educate them so they remove the offennding spyware. In doing so we may all receive the commissions that rightfully belong in our pockets.

I dont understand why you think it has anything to do with your merchants partnering with parasites.

Lets suppose you partner with BackCountry Stor - parasite free. Parasites will pop up competitors that are partnered with them to try to steal your customers away from your BCS site.
    That is how low they have stooped in the past. This script is for everyone, not just "clean" affiliates.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    access.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like SpywareBlaster has an issue with the parasite script....?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was my first impression too. Downloaded and installed, and I am still not getting a list of parasites on my web site.

ABW Ambassador
    I have requested a screenshot from this user to show the parasite "false alarms". If they are trying to cast doubt on this script I would imagine it quite difficult to get a machine infected quickly with "dozens" of infections for a screenshot.

Let's see.

If the screenshot is provided, I will forward all correspondence to Andrew Clover and see what he thinks.

Well ... I have to agree in part with JJJay's comment of <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> also you need to realize that the script could be doing more bad than good when it comes to sales. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We (our team) had the parasiteware detection script operating and seen a sudden decline in sales that we did not contribute to being the parasite detection script at first.

We kept on researching why all of a sudden sales were slowing down to nearly nothing and first thought someone was re-routing our visitors, or one of the slimeware services had listed us in their pop/reroute programs.

After testing & testing & even more testing ... we could not find a problem. It dawned on us that maybe we should remove the parasite detection script and see what that did.

Guess what happened ... sales started coming in. This may only be our experience and not the norm .. but this is our experience in using the detection script that we will not use now. We will let parasiteware.com educate viewers on parasites.

I am not saying this script does not work properly .. actually after it was tested it works properly .. I am just informing you of our personal experience.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO

ABW Ambassador
    Ray
    I am prepared to lose sales on this site if it helps to educate a few people.

Those who dont want to be educated can let the spyware consume their hard disk.

PerfectG, what I mean by that is I don't partner with parasites so whenever a visitor buys from my site I'm 100% assured of the sale. My fight against parasites is simply not to partner with any merchant associated with parasites. You choose to educate your visitors by using this script, which actually leads to lost sales. I congratulate your stance but I myself wouldn't go down this road due to the possibility of losing sales.

ABW Ambassador
    JJJay
    No, you misunderstand me. You are not assured of the sale. If someone has a parasite installed, it is quite possible that they WILL pop up on your site when the infected visitor arrives and try to entice your visitor away from your site by offering discounts (EVEN IF YOUR MERCHANTS ARE NOT PARTNERED WITH PARASITES).

Parasites do not play fair.

JJJay perfectG is dead right, the fact that the merchant you use is parasite free does not mean you will get all the sales, the parasites will popup on your site and lure your customers away to a diferent merchant.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

Guys! I am shocked when you say you can actually detect parasites with a script! Can you tell me how to do that?!

perfectG,

Do you have any way to contact the author of the detection script? Are you using Clover's script, by chance?

If so, I'd forward the communications to them for their input. They would likely know if any specific conditions exist that would indicate a false positive.

Other than that, for all you know it could be one of the parasites trying to make your life a living hell so you'll pull the script down. It seems rare that a visitor would be so unhappy with you over this. Most would likely think it was just a temporary malfunction, and forget it.

Andy

[Edited to correct spelling.]

[This message was edited by Andy on October 23, 2003 at 02:24 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Andy
    Yes it is Andy's script. This Andy will contact that Andy if the customer provides screenshots.

I agree PerfectG that it is good to educate your viewers. We still offer a page for parasiteware detection (used for AOL users that a few chat room regs use to refer visitors to) .. but it is not an automatic scan and alert as we did have because it showed us that we lose almost all sales (VERY strange but true. I can't figure out how though.).

What I was mostly concerned about is that we do not sell tons of products as some may think we do because of our web popularity and high visitor ratio. Webmasters by far are a cheap lot and do not buy many products (no offense implied towards webmasters) .. they look for FREE, or work within the limitations of any download trial periods and dump the software after expiration, or usage in general.

The few sales that we do make we absolutely need to maintain the site expenses (which are very high).

We deliver thousands of downloads monthly.

For example:
    (These are inhouse stats and not effected by the parasiteware issue but gives you an overall consensus as to how we must create traffic in order to recieve any profit. It's very hard to get webmasters to view "products that must be purchased in order to use it" or to get them to click a vendor advert (like an act of congress) that is a "purchase product item" and they must be pre-sold very well before they will even consider clicking these type link offers.

CoffeeCup HTML Editor:
    723 downloads = 1 sale

BannerMakerPro:
    1,857 downloads = 5 sales

Anim - FX:
    361 downloads = 1 sale

So .. you can see why we need the few sales that we do get to offset the high bandwidth usage we go through.

If something shows us that it is working against us .. we have no choice but to remove what is costing us money despite the "educational value" of informing these very webmasters that are doing very little for us in the area of purchases that help maintain & support our mostly free service features.

This may sound harsh, but it is an absolute necessity in order for us to remain in existence if we are footing the entire bill to bring our service to our viewers with no ROI.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast