Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Firefox and ActiveX problem
    OK this has been going on for more that a few weeks and I'm at a loss. Maybe someone here knows the "fix.?"

I think that since Firefox updated itself to their latest FF3, ActiveX stuff (video, audio) isn't working. I get an error message when on a site that has streaming anything that I need to update my ActiveX controls. when I try by clicking the "download" latest version of Flash or whatever it tells me" I then get a screen telling me it doesn't recognize my browser. ???? I'm having to use IE for all video and other flash or ActiveX sites. If FireFox wanted to lose me as a user, this sure does it. Meanwhile, I have everything I need set up in FF, not IE and hate to have to try to move over thousands of bookmarks and settings.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Letting programmers touch something that's not broken usually results in a big mess. Grrrrrrrrrr
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I use FF3.0.1 and would like to try it on some of your problem links if you have one you can post or PM.

Interesting. I've been using FF 3.0.1 since the day it was released, and 3+ since two days after version 3 was released and never had a problem with ActiveX.

Would be interesting to find out what's going on.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I use FF3.0.1 and would like to try it on some of your problem links if you have one you can post or PM.
    Any Youtube video page does it.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Firefox doesn't support ActiveX.. are you running some sort of strange plugins with Firefox (IE Tab)?

Firefox (and all the other non-IE browsers) use a different version of Flash from IE which you can download from here or via the download page.

It could be that something nasty is lurking on your system, of course.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Firefox doesn't support ActiveX.. are you running some sort of strange plugins with Firefox (IE Tab)?

Firefox (and all the other non-IE browsers) use a different version of Flash from IE which you can download from here or via the download page.

It could be that something nasty is lurking on your system, of course.
    Hi Dynamoo!

Nope, not running IE tab although it asks me if I am - I didn't have this problem before FF3 installed itself. When I try to install I get this:

We are unable to locate a Web player that matches your platform and browser.

Arghhhhhhhhhh
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

We are unable to locate a Web player that matches your platform and browser.
    I'm like the moo thinking it's not ActiveX but a flash player problem. Youtube videos are some kind of flash technology aren't they?

Found this after posting:

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I get an error message when on a site that has streaming anything that I need to update my ActiveX controls. when I try by clicking the "download" latest version of Flash or whatever it tells me" I then get a screen telling me it doesn't recognize my browser.
    You are not by any chance using the Switch User Agent add-on are you? It looks like the browser is saying that it's IE.

I'm like the moo thinking it's not ActiveX but a flash player problem. Youtube videos are some kind of flash technology aren't they?

Found this after posting:
    Thanks for the link Bumpaw - I'm trying to decipher what the "fix" is in that thread but glad it's not just me.

I intstalled the latest flash player (only able to install it through the .exe link Dynamoo posted above) and rebooted but still no go. You'd think there would be an easy fix for this. I'm surprised FF hasn't figured it out. According to that thread, this has been going on since January for some.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

You are not by any chance using the Switch User Agent add-on are you? It looks like the browser is saying that it's IE.
    Not that I'm aware of. LOL - I really have no idea what this machine does when I sleep. It updates itself regularly.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    With my Firefox, I have cache problems. After a while, it fails to load things like CSS files and also will not play Youtube videos. But when I clear the cache (Clear Private Data in Tools), all is well again. Happens every few days, or sometimes within an hour or two.

But, I believe my problem is due to some setting on my computer. Perhaps something like that is going with you as well.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    With my Firefox, I have cache problems. After a while, it fails to load things like CSS files and also will not play Youtube videos. But when I clear the cache (Clear Private Data in Tools), all is well again. Happens every few days, or sometimes within an hour or two.

But, I believe my problem is due to some setting on my computer. Perhaps something like that is going with you as well.
    I tried clearing the data but that didn't help.

At this point, I'm gonna have to move on and back to IE - I have to keep IE open to see any FLASH/Active X stuff anyway, might as well get used to using that browser as my default again.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Mmmm... yes, it could well the the user agent causing confusion.

Check out http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

Firefox should say something like: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16" where IE should be something like "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022)".

Strangely, both IE and Mozilla products report back "Mozilla" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla..._many_browsers
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Thanks for the information Dynamoo even though I have no idea what you're talking about! LOL

There are so many people having this same problem since the upgrade to FF3, I figured someone here might know what's going on and have a fix.

If I figure it out or find a solution, I'll be sure to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Mmmm... yes, it could well the the user agent causing confusion.

Check out http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

Firefox should say something like: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16" where IE should be something like "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022)".

Strangely, both IE and Mozilla products report back "Mozilla" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla..._many_browsers
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread