ABW Ambassador
    I am browsing the various message boards, and forums you can find when searching, I have strongly considered using the message board, that is remotely hosted, offered by www.websitetoolbox.com. I find the pricing to be very affordable, and the board demo seems to be what I would need. It allows for me to have members register, and has an ip ban, along with allowing moderators. The price is 42 bucks a year. Not bad, on my budget!

Does anyone have a recommendation as to another board, remotely hosted (I have no skills - an I dont think my webhost can set me up), that has the same features outlined by websitetoolbox.com?

Does anyone have anything good to say about websitetoolbox.com?

Thanks

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

We have a message board with EZboard. Maybe not the best but they have a lot of message boards. They are pretty easy to use and you'll get a few visitors just from them alone.

I'm not saying I endorse them, but they are pretty easy to use. Hint hint, I know how they work!

This site is info pop right?

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

ABW Ambassador
    yeah, but does ezboards offer a paid service, or is it free? I wanna have control over that, and with website toolbox thye allow for customization, including headers, and footers. Also, in the future, I will be offering premium service where clients can have their own forum, and be the moderator. It is a fringe benefit for paying for the other service that I will offer.

Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    ipowerweb has a forum included with their hosting and may suit your purpose. Depends if you need something seperate or part of a package with your hosting. Very easy to set up also
    forum shown here

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. You seem to have a great board. Does it cost anything? Can you include, for example, the cj smartzone code to the headers, and footers? Can you display your own ads?

With free services, they use their ads, and you usually can't add you own, unless they are trading 2 for 1, or 3 for 1 impressions.

Matt perls archive offers a good forum for those who want one to place on their own domain/server. go to coastalfishing.org, and peek out their forum. They use matts Perl script. At least they use to. I don't think it has changed.

Big Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Try http://www.phpbb.com

For a customized example, check out my signature: Ads-links.com

If you need help, I can help you set it up, no charge! It requires PHP and MySQL though.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks! I dunno if my web host has those features/ability to accomadate me. Like I said, I have no skills at this tech stuff - lol!

I bookmarked the sites. Yawn. It is about time for bed.

Big Chuck

ABW Ambassador
    I was thinking of getting a board myself, but have no skills either so it would have to be remotely hosted. Infopop has a remotely hosted board, seems to look decent.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    I set mine up with phpbb but still dont have crap for visitors LOL. They have an online admistration function where you define your groups, users, forums, sub forums, what users have what priviledges, etc. All this was pretty easy. I didn't get much into modifying the templates they provided to add customizations but you would need to learn the basics of php to do that. They do have a great board where you see and download customizations that other people have submitted for approval and it's pretty ecxtensive in the offerings available. All this does take time and efforts.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

I’m using XMB forum on one of my sites. It’s fairly customizable and you can add your own banners. But like the others you need PHP and MYSQL to run it.

Also check out http://www.xmbhacks.co.uk/community/boards/index.php for a bunch of modifications for XMB.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

I used to use

http://www.ikonboard.com

Until I integrated my dbase and forum together.

If your web host has 'Fantastico' installed, you will have a choice of phpbb or Invision forums.

The beauty is - with fantastico, it's a one click installation - setting up a forum can be a bit tricky if you are doing it manually - and incidentally, Fantastico gives you a one click installation of lots of other useful scripts too.

Opinion differs as to which is the best - but after a lot of reading, I am planning to go with Invision.

Most people seem to regard it as more robust - and personally I think it looks better than phpbb too!

This of course is not a 'remotely hosted' option - but with Fantastico helping you, it is a piece of cake - and you will end up with a much more robust, professional forum.

Also - don't forget when these remote host quote you a price, it is usually based on a very small bandwidth allowance.

If you start to get lots of visitors, they will want to charge you extra - probably hundreds of dollars per year - unless you are allowing them to put advertising on your forum.

If you host it yourself, you just pay for bandwidth at the hosts normal rates - much, much lower than these 'forum hosting' services

[This message was edited by Tiebreaker on October 22, 2003 at 10:27 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I love vBulletin, but for a new site I won't have the $$ to put into that right away. I've used Ikonboard on a couple sites and will never use them again. For the new site, I'm planning on using Invision Powerboard. I guess the story goes that the guys who wrote and developed Ikonboard for Jarvis Entertainment got canned, so they started Invision and now that one's supposed to be the best free one out there. I've set it up for someone else and ran into very few problems. Like vBulletin, there's a resource site w/ skins, templates, graphics, etc. for you to implement

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

ABW Ambassador
    phpbb and Invision are both extremely easy to install and need minimal requirements, you might want to check with your host.

I would run from xmb, just check their own security forum, numerous known bugs and security issues with late or no patches.

Ikonboard can be a real resource drain and does not have all the nice stuff for admins both phpbb and invision have.

Starting out forums 99% of the time leads to an empty forum, I would think twice before paying someone for a years worth of remote forum.

Chet

Good timing, I just added a bulletin board today.

For years I used remote hosted boards like bravenet. What I realized is that I was losing out on some great food for the search engine spiders ! I also had no control of advertisements and I was unable to harvest e-mails.

I was really interested in a board that was search engine friendly, had good community support and would be able to act as a gateway to usenet to make it seem active to draw in new users.

I was very interested in vBulletin for a while ($135 I think) There are some MAJOR bulletin boards using it. It can handle just about any load.

However my host offered phpbb through fantastico. It also powers some pretty popular forums on the web. It was a piece of cake to install. I even did a mod to pull in RSS feeds.

There is tons of support and modifications for phpbb and it can be made google friendly.

Highly recommended.

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thanks. You seem to have a great board. Does it cost anything? Can you include, for example, the cj smartzone code to the headers, and footers? Can you display your own ads? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People seem to like the board a lot
    I just had to go into my c panel at host tell them a url to use and it was up
    I haven't looked over enough for placing my ads etc so can't tell for sure

On my to to do list and investigate further
    I just needed something better than the free boards out there which were pretty useless

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

I started using Ezboard earlier this year, and I like it a lot. Right now there is an option to use AdSense instead of banner ads, and the text ads are relatively unobtrusive (although you don't get paid for clicks, of course). It is free as long as you're running ads, although I did pay about $10 when I joined the "Free Gold" program to run the text ads (I can't recall whether the fee was mandatory or optional, but either way it has been worth it).

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread