Animal Lover
    Hi,

just received an email from godaddy asking me to update my account info - has anyone received theirs? I just don't want to follow the link and fill in details only to realize later on that it was one of those hoax ones attempting to steal your account info...

Is it genuine?

Oscar

Oscar,

Any reason GoDaddy would need you to update your account? Did you recently change your E-mail with them, or do anything that might require additional information from you?

If not, I'd go to GoDaddy online, log in to your account there, and open a support ticket and ask them. That's really the only safe way to know for sure if it's from them.

Andy

[This message was edited by Andy on October 23, 2003 at 06:56 PM.]

The only email I usually get from GoDaddy is renewel reminders, starting about 90 days prior to expiration.

I would look at the headers and source code, make sure the links all look right.

If in doubt, don't click. Easier to go to GoDaddy directly and check your information.

ABW Ambassador
    I got that email and checked the target page just for fun... It targets an Ip address URL.

Standard con tactics to steal your content, Urls, money or whatever the flavour of the day is.

The Microsoft update one thats been going around is a real beaut. Real proffessionally done.

It is possible that yours is real but i would definitely login as per usual before making changes and not follow the link in the email.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Parasiteware - Any software, process or method that aims to make money by avoiding any involvement in the sales process apart from hijacking transactions that have been created by the hard work of others.</font>

The email is real. If you do not have changes, then you don't need to do anything.

They aren't trying to steal something, but they would like you to visit their site again

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

I've got quite a few sites with them and I've not had any emals from them

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

ABW Ambassador
    They sent all of their resellers an email detailing this, it will be a yearly thing so you may be getting your later, I am not sure what date they are basing it on.

They insist it is an ICANN requirement, they may just be making sure they are playing tight with ICANN since they are suing Verisign.

CHet

Animal Lover
    I haven't changed anything with them for ages which is why it looked suspicious to me...I've had so many of these 'please update your info' type emails (some from hoax sites to bank accounts) that I'm a bit wary...I will go to godaddy direct and ask them...thanks.

Oscar

Animal Lover
    Just got word from godaddy that the email is authentic...but you can ignore it if your details are all up to date...

Oscar

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread