One networks way of fighting fraud
    check out this email i just got

Effective Immediately:

Our network, along with other networks, has been experiencing a significantly high amount of fraud.
    Most of the fraud comes to us because people are signing up with account names and addresses that are not theirs. Fraud and providing false information is intolerable. If you are doing nothing wrong, and you have nothing to hide, then applications would have been submitted with correct data.

As an added security measure for our identification verification process we will be sending this month’s payment via US mail. This will verify to us that your mailing address is yours and you were able to cash the check under the name on the account.

* If you do not want to follow this process, please email us, and we will close your account for you.
    * If the check is returned to us as undeliverable, we will close your account.
    * If the check is not cashed within 90 days, we will close your account.

If you live overseas, please verify that your threshold is set high enough so you can cash the check in your country. Some countries will not cash small checks.

Also note that all future new applicants will need to have their first checks mailed to them as well.

REMOVED Company Name
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; September 10th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Awesome. The fewer bad players there are in AM the better off we'll all be.

http and a telephoto
    I seem to remember some other major network having this requirement, but can't remember who. It may seem drastic to some, but if you manage for a while you realize it really is a big issue. We recently had a network verify for us if an applicant really was who they said they were.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It's such a simple process, I'm surprised that other networks haven't adopted it.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Looks like they need to spend less time on email announcements and more time on a professional site. "Contact us" is not exactly the easiest process and their blog is blank. With that said, it is good that they have their eyes on fraud so I do commend them on that. But geez...to be the "premier provider of performance-based direct marketing" and well...yuck.

-sfcom

Why did you leave out the company name? Seems like one we would want to work with.

ABW Ambassador
    It was modernclick.com. CPA network, was looking for what merchants/offers they had but no info until you sign up I think.

Ah. Thanks Trust!

There are a lot easier ways of confirming identities - To start, calling to verify an identity. Most of the fraud right now is being committed by individuals living overseas, and attempting to pass off US/Canada/UK contact information - Confirming accounts by phone is a great first step (but not the only) to take in reducing fraud. I won't fully get into other methods, but having previously worked in an industry with a lot of internet fraud, I've seen it all, and wonder why affiliate networks are not more proactive in using simple techniques to verify, or at least highly increase the chances of a legitimate identity.

http and a telephoto
    Anyone can get a phone number that looks like it is anywhere. Not a good indication of where someone lives. My phone number while I was living on the west coast had a 585 area code because it was a cell phone from upstate NY. And with Skype I can choose a phone number that is US and from many area codes, not tied to where I live at all.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    it would be much better to just send a letter or post card with an account confirmation code than to send a check by postal service and risk having it lost or stolen.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I commend the network's efforts in combating fraud, but the easiest and most effective way is to filter out the fraudsters at the application/acceptance stage, not once it's time to pay them.

At the Affiliate application stage for us, the first step is site ownership verification in one of several ways.

If the email of the applicant is based on their domain name, a simple email response for authentication will do. But sometimes it gets a little difficult if their email is not based on the domain. Contact/email with the person listed on the domain records, phone verification or even a response from a form on their site will work.

For those we can't easily authenticate, though, we're working on an automated process to verify site ownership which will require applicants to upload a small file to the root level of their site we can check for.

I'll add that when we first started our business we saw a near 40% fraud rate on new applications, and that's down to less than 1%. Not sure if the words out now, or if it's just a select pool of people doing this.. or what. But in our experience, the app fraud rate has slowed to a trickle.

It is an interesting method of combating fraud, but I agree with Gary:
    I commend the network's efforts in combating fraud, but the easiest and most effective way is to filter out the fraudsters at the application/acceptance stage, not once it's time to pay them.
    If you wait until it's time to pay the affiliate, chances are they have already sent a bunch of fraudulent or low quality traffic to the merchant.

I think it's better to carefully screen affiliates during the application process.
    Julia
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Share Results Network
    [email=julia@shareresults.com]julia@shareresults.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]http://www.shareresults.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Anyone can get a phone number that looks like it is anywhere. Not a good indication of where someone lives. My phone number while I was living on the west coast had a 585 area code because it was a cell phone from upstate NY. And with Skype I can choose a phone number that is US and from many area codes, not tied to where I live at all.
    But when you call "Richard Smith" and get someone who a) has no idea why you're calling them or b) doesn't really speak English, and is clearly not "Richard Smith", this clears up a ton of fraud.

People don't assume that a network will phone verify an account (and then confirm more details that could be a tip-off), so they probably won't set up any complicated scheme to hide their tracks. Phone verification + domain verification goes a long way in fighting fraud, and would probably eliminate 95% of the fraud, right away. I'm not going to post the other at-signup fraud fighting measures here, but I'm surprised networks aren't following practices that I assumed were standard in the industry.

As I mentioned before, a lot of the fraud right now is people overseas using fake contact information from the US/UK/Canada, and direct-depositing into bank accounts (not sure how they get those).

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread