What Kind Of Products are Best For PPC
    Assuming you have some legit merchants that track well and convert, which products are best candidates for a PPC effort? I have PPC on the low burner for now, but since it comes up here so often I'm thinking I need to give it some time.

I don't really feel that I've ever "got it" when it come to PPC. My mastery got to the point where I can do a little better than break even. At least I have learned to avoid prolonged losses.

We only have 2 little campaigns live at G right now. It seems like the merchants are all feeding me newsletters and such that indicate that there is a lot of emphasis on PPC.

ABW Ambassador
    Anything where you make more than you spend It may seem like a joke answer but I've made money with all sorts of products, merchants etc

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think products that are not overly saturated.

I.e. if you are bidding on things like
    GARMIN NUVI 660 GPS

Heck, you are competing with guys like shopping.com, eBay and Amazon. Guess it tough to compete with those guys when their budget is in the MM range.

Here are some suggestions:
    1) Long tail - you can try to find the long tail, but then again, traffic maybe close to zero but if it converts, it's like a 3000% ROI.

2) First Mover - Find items that are either up and coming that nobody is bidding on. If Garmin is releasing XYX model next year and you are a buy.com affiliate + they carry it, be the first but don't forget to turn it off when competitors move.

3) Niche product - As opposed to following the masses, go with things that other people are not bidding on but there is a demand for it. i.e. As oppose to trying to sell LCD via PPC which i can assure you that you will not stick on the first 3 pages, go with things like "LCD monitor upsidedown stand"... i just created that but there might be 300,000 people looking for that. (Doubt it but you get the drift).

Note: Do some kick butt description, title and etc for your PPC campaign. If you can get a quality score that outranks other ppl, you have a shot there too.

All the best.

Affiliate PPC Strategy
    It seems like PPC is getting to be less and less worth the effort for those without really advanced resources.

If you take the broad keywords for popular products (ie. books, perfume, video games, etc), you're unlikely to get a positive ROI simply due to the CPC (unless you have a site that converts incredibly well... like crazy amazing).

If you take the long tail keywords, going into multi-word phrase and exact matches for product names and keywords, then you can get the ROI, but suddenly have this monstrous task of bidding these thousands of different terms up and down. It's almost certainly not scalable without a third-party reporting resource, and possibly not even worth it without an automated bidding resource.

When the entire strategy revolves around efficiency of bid, and you're competing against people who have successful algorithmic bid systems that are taking terms up and down on a minute-by-minute basis, looking at months and months of historical data, it can definitely seem like an impossible task.

That being said, I think that there are always nuggets out there that few or no people are bidding on, and if you have a portfolio of those, then you can make some great sales. Of course finding them is easier said than done.

It seems that it used to be that you could learn a little about PPC, then launch into it, and with some good organization and some elbow grease, you could run a successful campaign. Nowadays, increased competition has made the learning curve so steep that a few early missteps can cost a ton of cash. I wouldn't be surprised if one day economical PPC was only possible through automated bid managers, hence Google providing tools like the Conversion Optimizer (though there's lots of room for advancement there).

Anyway, that sounded very doom and gloomy. It's in Google's best interests to make sure that anyone can spend money on ads, so hopefully Adwords stays accessible, and profitable, for all resource levels.

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    3) Niche product - As opposed to following the masses, go with things that other people are not bidding on but there is a demand for it. i.e. As oppose to trying to sell LCD via PPC which i can assure you that you will not stick on the first 3 pages, go with things like "LCD monitor upsidedown stand"... i just created that but there might be 300,000 people looking for that. (Doubt it but you get the drift).

Note: Do some kick butt description, title and etc for your PPC campaign. If you can get a quality score that outranks other ppl, you have a shot there too.
    All the best.
    Bumpaw, Eric just handed out the golden nugget of this thread. (not saying the others aren't great suggestions, just that this one is so valuable)

I happened on a product sometime back that was.. well.. bland, you could even say it was boring. But something that people use and search the web to get information about. You can find the item at many local stores, but generally there is not much selection or options available at the store. This is why consumers look online.

I happened on a killer domain name that described the product. I gathered information from the merchants who sold the item. Used popshops to keep the site updated with the products and bought some ppc. It's my general policy never to be in the #1 spot on ppc, it's too expensive for my taste. I aimed for 3 or 4 and the competition was merchants selling the product. Usually the merchants only had 1 variety or style of it. I had in essence setup a comparison site with detailed information about all the different types and styles and uses for the item. Consumers who made their way to my site must have liked it as they clicked and clicked on my affiliate links. Including links to merchants that they must have seen above me in the ppc ranks.

It converted very well for a while, I hate to think this, but I believe someone at a network or merchant leaked my niche product to other affiliates and now there is a lot more competition. I've pulled the ppc, but due to being the first site dedicated to the product and the domain keywords I get a lot of natural serp activity. I don't sell as much as I did, but still make a little every month.

It was mostly luck. But when I saw the product and was doing research on how it was being promoted I was shocked. I thought it must not sell online. I was wrong. I'd suggest you keep your eyes open to those rare opportunities where a simple, single item can be that diamond for which we all seek.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    I.e. if you are bidding on things like
    GARMIN NUVI 660 GPS

Heck, you are competing with guys like shopping.com, eBay and Amazon. Guess it tough to compete with those guys when their budget is in the MM range.
    I'm thinking that there are probably other rules of thumb like this that experienced PPC folks have in there heads that allow them to rule out certain products.

Those two storms have fogged my brain, and that along with owning some great stocks like AIG have caused me a lot of distraction. It's even hard to make a simple post let alone ponder the complexities of PPC.

I hope it's getting better for you over there Eric.

What kind of products to promote
    What do you think about promote shoes throu PPC ,for example Zappos or similar advertiser ?
    regards Duka

The number one key is not the keyword, nor the product (within reason) - it's the landing page. If the landing page IS NOT a proven converter, PPC is a waste of money.

With PPC ads you are selling the click ... you are selling the product on the landing page. Also, people buy from people they are familiar with - like Amazon - so you have to tell them on the landing page why you are better.

Also, in just about every instance you are competing directly with the merchants PPC team - who get paid a salary to do that, while you are expected to waste your time and money on the come.

If you find the right mix, you can make a ton of sales ... if not it's better to put up Adsense and waste the merchants ad budget for them.

The other big draw back is scale ... now it is nice to make a sale a day and for sure the extra money helps, but if the whole enchilada is NOT profitable you are just wasting your time ... which is the most valuable thing you have next to your life.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    The number one key is not the keyword, nor the product (within reason) - it's the landing page. If the landing page IS NOT a proven converter, PPC is a waste of money.

With PPC ads you are selling the click ... you are selling the product on the landing page. Also, people buy from people they are familiar with - like Amazon - so you have to tell them on the landing page why you are better.

Also, in just about every instance you are competing directly with the merchants PPC team - who get paid a salary to do that, while you are expected to waste your time and money on the come.

If you find the right mix, you can make a ton of sales ... if not it's better to put up Adsense and waste the merchants ad budget for them.

The other big draw back is scale ... now it is nice to make a sale a day and for sure the extra money helps, but if the whole enchilada is NOT profitable you are just wasting your time ... which is the most valuable thing you have next to your life.
    I agree 100%. Eric gave some good advice on the PPC, but in reality your PPC can be amazing, but unless you find a product and site that converts your PPC is wasted.

Take this amazing Hair Care Merchant, Frizzy2Silky for Example. Look for a product that has a ton of really good long tailed terms but also look at their landing page. We'll use MoroccanOil for example.

http://www.frizzy2silky.com/shop/mor...oz-p-6988.html

Frizzy2Silky not only has a great price point for MoroccanOil, but they also have a lot of things that other Hair Care Sites don't have on their sites.

They feature and make their sale price stand out, they have an easy to see and well placed call to action. The site is clean looking and professional, There are rating, clearly visible security rating, the site looks trustworthy and it is still designed to have branding and a nice soft feminine touch for the female skewed demographic. They also offer some great descriptions about the products that make sense and are easy to look at and read. If I were going to do PPC and I wanted it to work, I would look for things like this on the landing page, in addition to leaks, etc... and then pick the Merchant to work with. If you want to give it a shot or need a Hair Care Affiliate program, you may very well want to look at Frizzy2Silky on Share A Sale as they do have a very nice looking setup that hits a lot of key points for landing pages. It isn't perfect but may be worth a shot.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Hey ,thanks for answer,you are opened my mind,I have lost time and money ,but I have to change concept of my site,and put more content ,and coupons are to competitive market in USA, but I think that phisical products are very dificult to sell .
    regards

regarding landing page ,what is a better to make lending page with only one sort of products from one advertiser or put more products on it?
    regards
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Duka
    regarding landing page ,what is a better to make lending page with only one sort of products from one advertiser or put more products on it?
    regards
    That's your job to learn and figure out...no one is going to give a solid answer and give away their tricks and depending on your keywords and target it could easily depend. Do some reading and then test and you'll figure it out...if it doesn't work, you could always try it another way.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

ok ,
    I will try
    Best regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerblader
    That's your job to learn and figure out...no one is going to give a solid answer and give away their tricks and depending on your keywords and target it could easily depend. Do some reading and then test and you'll figure it out...if it doesn't work, you could always try it another way.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread