Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HostRocket Commissions
    I am a new HostRocket Affiliate and started doing some research on them. I found some old forum posts back in like 2005 that said they were disabled by CJ.

If they are 'Active' in CJ, does that mean they're keeping up on their payments? I can't seem to find any information about people promoting and/or getting paid by HostRocket. This concerns me as I have over $2000 in my account, and reading all the bad stories makes you wounder.

They might of fixed things, but I can't seem to find any new posts about them.

Anyways, I am curious if any of you are promoting them, and if you have received payments. If so, how long did it take?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JaysonH
    If they are 'Active' in CJ, does that mean they're keeping up on their payments?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand, "Active" implies that you as an affiliate are active in (or approved to) a merchant's program, and doesn't have anything to do with the merchant's financial standing/history.

Geno

currently this is my understanding, but in general it's bankable

If they are active, then they have been paying. However, like most hosting advertisers keep in store for the inevitable "reversals" that will occur right before payment is made.

ABW Ambassador
    I am sure affiliates out there are successful with promoting hosting companies. But my xperience has been different.

Most of the top hosting companies in CJ I have tried always seemed to have high (above 50%) reversal rate. Also most of them have their inhouse affiliate pgm and they will try to hire you outside CJ.

It seemed to me as if they lure affiliates with high payouts, but then reverse sales to make it profitable for them.

PPC rates for hosting keywords are extremely competitive. Though my ppc campaigns were working and were converting, but at the end of the day, after all the reversals, I was hardly making any money.

Finding a good web hosting publisher is hard? That was a question and a statement. I would love to do the web hosting they look like they pay good

Well I have been signed up for 4 days now and have already had about 6 out of my 20 sales "Corrected"

How can a company lose this many sales or reverse this many sales in 3 days?

Well I have been signed up for 4 days now and have already had about 6 out of my 20 sales "Corrected"

How can a company lose this many sales or reverse this many sales in 3 days?
    I warned ya.

Here is how they do it. They offer great monthly deals, but only pay the affiliates on folks that pay 1 year in advance on the hosting.

So in order to keep the commission the customer must pay for 1 year of service. They can't pay it monthly, and most do.

The hosting company once explained it to me that how can they pay you such a huge commission if the person cancels service after a month or a few months? They would lose money.

It's one of the biggest scams to affiliates in the entire industry and mostly ignored.

815***780 $38.94 USD $0.00 USD $110.00 USD 10-Sep-2008 16:04 PDT Deposit
    816***629 ($38.94) USD $0.00 USD ($110.00) USD 11-Sep-2008 11:52 PDT Other

Here is one that was canceled, could you guys tell me what this means?

If these guys are cheating me out of money, then I am going to take them to court, simple as that. I know damn well that 6 - 8 people didn't cancel in 3-4 days time.

ABW Ambassador
    If these guys are cheating me out of money, then I am going to take them to court, simple as that. I know damn well that 6 - 8 people didn't cancel in 3-4 days time.
    How are you going to prove that they didn't cancel. CJ is also losing money. Remember they get a cut too. If CJ can't take them to court what resources do you have.

Well I dont want to jump to conclusions yet, as it seems that is what i might be doing.

I just find it hard to believe that 6+ people have canceled.

ABW Ambassador
    You are right. All the reversals they post aren't actual reversals. I had a friend buy a hosting. And they reversed it after a month when he was still with them. When I brought it up, they gave vague reasons.

I stopped fighting. I just dropped web hosting companies from my list of companies to promote.

Again, the reversals are because the sales themselves don't qualify for commission. They show up, and then are reversed later on because the person didn't pay for 1 year in advance. If you read the fine print of the affiliate agreement you will understand.

Most people don't pay for 1 year of hosting at a time. The vast majority pay month-to-month and those that sign up with the host use that option. Thus the sale shows up, and then later is reversed.

It happens with every hosting merchant I have ever tried and then I too gave up. It's been going on a long time, and they prey on new affiliates to keep them going.

So basically they only pay you for people who signup for a year, which is garbage. oh well, guess it's time to promote someone else.

What are some other high paying affiliates out there?

I think it's bullcrap altogether. They get the benefit of a sale without having to pay a dime. I think they should have different levels of payout. They should at least give you something even if the person only does a monthly hosting plan, and then go full blown for the year based ones.

However, why should they change? They get all the customers they want for free. They get sucker affiliates who think they are going to get this huge payout and get them traffic. Then they pull the "fine print" bullshit when it comes time to pay.

Ethics does not exist when it comes to hosting providers. Plain and simple.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Ethics does not exist when it comes to hosting providers. Plain and simple.
    Well I hope to change that shortly, we have a hosting client launching with us very shortly, been in planning for a while, does have network and inhouse. I hope we'll be able to buck the negative trend and certainly bring some transparency to any reversals that may happen.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

You really can't take them to court. All advertisers if they were dishonest and had no moral standing can reverse all of the sales and leads if they wanted to with out reason. It is a risk we all take everyday, thats why it is good to work with advertisers with good communication.

Edit: I also think that they lure you in with really high payouts. If you think about it $120.00 per Sale and the program is $3.95 a month and lets say the people pay 1 year at a time..... 3.95x12= $47.40 They pay you $120.00 they just lost $72.60 So reversing is in their favor. If they are under the assumption that people are going to upgrade then maybe they will profit, but the normal small business or persons just purchasing their first web host will not upgrade in fear, fear of not having the services that they say they provide or the fear that they just purchased something that they will have absolutly no need for.
    If they changed the payout structure to lets say $20.00 per sale they would have less people signing up, because the other advertisers payout more, they would profit on all sales, oh man I can go on for hours..... you get the point....take the advice of the people here, trial and error, let other peoples knowledge help you make a good decision, the words that are typed here have value because they have already been through this situation.
    Last edited by jodyq; September 12th, 2008 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    You really can't take them to court. All advertisers if they were dishonest and had no moral standing can reverse all of the sales and leads if they wanted to with out reason.
    THAT IS 100% INCORRECT. Merchants, just like affiliates, must abide by their own Terms of Service and those of the network. More than likely the merchant has defined the circumstances that qualify as a commissioned sale in their TOS, as well as those that don't. They are counting on the fact that there are still a large number of affiliates that don't read the TOS.

This is why it is imperative that affiliates read and fully understand the TOS prior to joining a merchant's program. If there are points of confusion, ASK QUESTIONS. If the merchant is unresponsive, move on. There really is no shortage of merchants in most verticals and there certainly isn't a shortage in the web hosting space. Find one that has terms that are fair and that you think you can make money with.

Use ABW as a reference guide and search for merchants before you join. If things don't seem quite right before or after joining, post a question here like the OP did. Chances are someone here has had some experience with the merchant and can give some insight.

But whatever you do, never assume that merchants have Carte Blanche. They are subject to their own TOS as well as the networks TOS and can be sued if they don't abide by the terms. The problem is that it usually isn't worth your time or energy to sue. So be diligent BEFORE wasting your time and resources to promote a merchant that is looking for ways not to pay a commission. The merchants that are worth working with are looking for long term partnerships and they know that the only way to have those is to have successful affiliates.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thank you rematt, i didn't know that, I just thought.. well you probably know what I thought, See thats why I come here. Information....

The problem is in the hosting industry there are a lot of merchants for affiliates to choose from... however all of them do it. I have yet to find a single hosting merchant that doesn't do this "dance".

And every network lets them do it. Many have been doing it for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    The problem is in the hosting industry there are a lot of merchants for affiliates to choose from... however all of them do it. I have yet to find a single hosting merchant that doesn't do this "dance".

And every network lets them do it...
    I've just hand-counted 13 performing (7- and 30-day EPC figures available for affiliate review) affiliate programs with a 0% reversal rate (over 30 days) in the Web Hosting section of ShareASale's programs directory.

Geno

And every network lets them do it. Many have been doing it for years now.
    It's unfortunate that there are some verticals that have earned a reputation for being affiliate "unfriendly". However, I always find it difficult to put any faith in he words ALL or NONE. There are usually exceptions, we just have to look a little harder to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I've just hand-counted 13 performing (7- and 30-day EPC figures available for affiliate review) affiliate programs with a 0% reversal rate (over 30 days) in the Web Hosting section of ShareASale's programs directory.

Geno
    Thanks Geno. Proof that a little more research will often provide positive results.

Here's a challenge to the other AMs here - disprove the theory that all hosting programs should be avoided due to their unfriendly policies and subsequent high reversal rates.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov

Geno
    Of course no reversal rates. Some hosting companies just don't let the sales show up at all in the beginning. This doesn't prove they will pay for anything less than full paid hosting packages.

They don't have to reverse anything if it doesn't show up to begin with on the reports. They just disqualify the sale before it shows for the affiliate

Now with that said I, too, am looking at the SAS merchant directory and reports.

Let's take a look...

JKAHosting - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 100%
    30 Day - 70%

Flux Services, Inc - Active
    30 Day - 70%

WestHost Inc - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 0%
    30 Day - 35.29%

Softcom Tech - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 0%
    30 Day - 0.00%
    (note no EPC for 7 days)

Host Color LLC - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 0%
    30 Day - 0%
    (Note: EPC 7/30 = 0%, aka no sales)

A2 Hosting - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 42.86%
    30 Day - 47.22%

Net-Trend - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate = 0%
    30 Day = 0%
    (note 7 Day EPC = 0, 30 day = $17.43)

HostExpress - Active - O Across the board

TBhost - Active - O Across the board

EbayoutHost - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 28.57%
    30 Day - 23.33%

ThinkHost - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 50%
    30 Day - 21.43%

Eleven2.com - Active - 0 Across the board

The Planet - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 7.69%
    30 Day Reversal Rate - 50%

Mobiaadvatange - Active - 0 Across the board

Powweb.com - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 0%
    30 Day - 15.87%

ePowHost - Active - 0 Across the board

SpamSafeSites - Active - 0 Across the board

Bounceweb.com - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 0%
    30 Day - 33.33%
    (note $0.00 EPC across the board)

Glowhost - Active - 0 Across the board

Webplus - Active - 0 Across the board

Vivid Tech - Active - 0 Across the board

One Web Hosting - Active - 0 Across the board

dotCanada/dotAmerica - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 0%
    30 Day - 0%

JustUptime - Active
    7 Day Reversal Rate - 0%
    30 Day - 90%

At this point I am skipping all the ZEROS because they have no sales.

Layered Technologies - Active
    30 Day - 92.86%

Creative Web Techologies - Active
    30 Day - 23.53%

Now 0 Across the board means they had no sales to even see about reversals. I also skipped many of the 0 Across the boards because I was getting tired of typing it all.

Now if you look at the approximately 92 web hosting companies on SAS, and then TRULY look at their numbers you would get the picture I am saying. I stand by what I have said and not even SAS is unaffected.

There are only 1 or 2 of them that have low reversals in comparison to overall sales and they may not be allowing all sales to go through the system and disqualify them before they even show up in reports or at SAS. That would account for lower reversals. Then the only reversals they may do is ones were credit card fraud or cancellation come into play.

So yes, a little more research DOES show a "better" light on things.

nakedgamer,

The companies that I referred to were, actually, as I noted in my post, "performing" or those that have the "EPC figures available for affiliate review". Here they are (sorted by 30-day EPC to date):

100 Megs Webhosting - $364.29 30-day EPC
    groupSPARK - $124.99 30-day EPC
    MochaHost - $83.51 30-day EPC
    GotWebHost.com - $81.63 30-day EPC
    EasyASPHosting.com - $80.00 30-day EPC
    123Together - $69.40 30-day EPC
    Vivid Hosting - $49.39 30-day EPC
    myHosting.com - $47.59 30-day EPC
    dotCanada.com / dotAmerica.com - $31.91 30-day EPC
    Net-Trend - $17.43 30-day EPC
    ServerPro - $10.10 30-day EPC
    Joyent - $3.44 30-day EPC

I specifically avoided quoting those that show no 30-day EPC (hence have no serious activity going on), and those that show a 0% reversal rate over the past 7 days (as this can change any minute, as we all know).

Some of the above have very modest commission rates (comparing to what's being paid by their competitors), but the 0% reversal rate that I see displayed for them in SaS reporting should matter something.

They don't have to reverse anything if it doesn't show up to begin with on the reports. They just disqualify the sale before it shows for the affiliate
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can game it with SaS, as the sale shows immediately once the order confirmation page shows to the end user. In other words, wherever we see that EPC metric, sales did register, and affiliates were paid. Otherwise, there would've not been any Earnings Per Click (or rather per 100 clicks as is the situation in the above-quoted cases).

Geno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast