Blockbuster lowering commissions?
    Did anyone else get an email from Blockbuster about lowering their commission on CJ? The humorous part was the reason they gave:

Blockbuster is choosing to lower the payout rate so that they can stay competitive within the affiliate channel. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause; however, we hope these changes will help with your overall conversion rate.

I don't see how lower commissions helps my conversion rate? I also don't see how lower commissions helps them stay more competitive in the affiliate channel?

Quote Originally Posted by dustin999
    Blockbuster is choosing to lower the payout rate so that they can stay competitive within the affiliate channel. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause; however, we hope these changes will help with your overall conversion rate.

I don't see how lower commissions helps my conversion rate? I also don't see how lower commissions helps them stay more competitive in the affiliate channel?
    Have they said anything about their prices? I could see (and indeed have seen) how affiliate conversion and overall program performance can increase even with a lower affiliate payout. From my past experience it happens only when lowering online prices indeed makes a merchant more competitive.

I'd e-mail them back for clarifications.

Geno

PS: None of what I have typed up above means that I would recommend merchants to lower affiliate commissions... ever.

Just took a look at Blockbuster's performance at CJ, and they are a the top of the list in the Videos/Movies category with a $100+ 3-months' EPC (and a $160+ 7-day EPC).

Who are their competitors on other networks or with in-house programs (trying to figure out who they are trying to beat to "stay competitive within the affiliate channel"), and how do they perform?

Geno

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The "world's largest online DVD movie rental store" (their words) is Netflix. They are on LS and pay $18 commission per sign-up.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    The "world's largest online DVD movie rental store" (their words) is Netflix. They are on LS and pay $18 commission per sign-up.
    Is Blockbuster now paying $28?

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Is Blockbuster now paying $28?
    I don't know if that is their new or old CJ rate, but Blockbuster on Offer Fusion pays $32.00.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

$28 is the new rate. Fine by me.

Yes, their email makes no sense about how lowering commissions is beneficial to affiliates.

Anyway, higher payouts can be found through CPA networks, either using the Adteractive or MarketLabs-hosted versions of the campaign - http://www.affspy.com/beta/search.ph...r&x=0&y=0&us=1 .

I completely forgot I was in the Blockbuster program on GAN - their commission rate is $33.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread