Determining correct number of Hits
    Hi,
    I am so glad I found this forum. I am new to PopShops as of yesterday!

I set up four stores with products from four different merchants.....all in ShareASAle.

PopShops dashboards shows that I have had 3 clicks in one of my stores. However, in ShareASale under Activity Summary, it shows about 50 for the four stores. It is set to this month in ShareASale and I have had no activity prior to yesterday. From yesterday through today the clicks increased.

I did not click on any of the store links on my site once they were set up.

Does anyone know which is correct? Is PopShops wrong or is ShareaSale counting clicks of mine within PopShops when I was setting things up? Or something else?

Thanks,
    Susan

Lightbulb
    I think shareasale is sensitive to spider hits although that was supposedly fixed some time ago.

I asked this question several weeks ago to the folks at PopShops but haven't got an answer yet. I told them there was no rush, but I am curious as well, some of the discrepancies are in the thousands.

Thanks. If we don't get an answer here, I might contact support.

Are you also using your own stats info source like StatCounter or Google Analytics?
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

I do use Google Analytics. As far as I know, that is only for page visits though. I am looking for the hits on the store on on any of my store pages.
    Susan

I know how it feels to go to your dashboard and see all the clicks and then go to your logs and wonder how the clicks where showing up if no one was going to that page.

I use StatCounter as well as my logs from my host. I also have noticed the problem you mention. When PopShops offered the "No-Follow" option the clicks went done and were more in line from what I saw from my logs. When they get out of wack I find that it is a bot and I have to ban it from my sites.

The past month I had something clicking like crazy on one of my category pages. The PopShop logs indicated it was a product from Overstock so I removed the product. Still didn't stop it. So I yanked the page for a few days. Still didn't stop it. I still had the shop in my PopShop dashboard so I deleted all the products. Still didn't stop it. I sent an e-mail to Jessie at PopShops and got this reply "That is from bots that are hitting the caches of the shops (even the ones are not live). They ignore robots.txt and we working on a comprehensive blacklist that denies them access." I deleted the PopShop that was generating the clicks and replaced it with something else from another vendor. Once I deleted the entire shop from the PopShop dashboard, the clicks stop. This week I will set up a new shop for the page and see what happens.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Just as your sites are hit with malicious bots, our caches are sometimes hit with them as well.

What I recommend you do (if you're technical) is what we are doing on our side from our redirect server (we're building it up). Start a blacklist that prevents malicious bots from accessing your pages, clicking your links, flooding your logs and possibly draining your servers bandwidth. (These bots also ignore robots.txt and nofollow, of course.)

I know there are some open-source scripts, etc, but I don't know much more than that.

Also, good news is that we have a Google Analytics feature that will be available that will allow you to track clicks and see data about what was being clicked. I'll let you know when it is ready for testing.

Jessie
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

While it is probably impossible to include every new bot name that shows up, I found this .htaccess add in to help a lot and it's fairly easy to edit when you see a new unwanted bot in your access logs or stats:

ErrorDocument 403 /403.html

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

# IF THE UA STARTS WITH THESE
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(aesop_com_spiderman|alexibot|backweb|bandit|batchftp|bigfoot) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(black.?hole|blackwidow|blowfish|botalot|buddy|builtbottough|bullseye) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(cheesebot|cherrypicker|chinaclaw|collector|copier|copyrightcheck) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(cosmos|crescent|curl|custo|da|diibot|disco|dittospyder|dragonfly) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(drip|easydl|ebingbong|ecatch|eirgrabber|emailcollector|emailsiphon) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(emailwolf|erocrawler|exabot|eyenetie|filehound|flashget|flunky) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(frontpage|getright|getweb|go.?zilla|go-ahead-got-it|gotit|grabnet) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(grafula|harvest|hloader|hmview|httplib|httrack|humanlinks|ilsebot) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(infonavirobot|infotekies|intelliseek|interget|iria|jennybot|jetcar) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(joc|justview|jyxobot|kenjin|keyword|larbin|leechftp|lexibot|lftp|libweb) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(likse|linkscan|linkwalker|lnspiderguy|lwp|magnet|mag-net|markwatch) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(mata.?hari|memo|microsoft.?url|midown.?tool|miixpc|mirror|missigua) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(mister.?pix|moget|mozilla.?newt|nameprotect|navroad|backdoorbot|nearsite) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(net.?vampire|netants|netcraft|netmechanic|netspider|nextgensearchbot) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(attach|nicerspro|nimblecrawler|npbot|octopus|offline.?explorer) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(offline.?navigator|openfind|outfoxbot|pagegrabber|papa|pavuk) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(pcbrowser|php.?version.?tracker|pockey|propowerbot|prowebwalker) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(psbot|pump|queryn|recorder|realdownload|reaper|reget|true_robot) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(repomonkey|rma|internetseer|sbider|sitesnagger|siphon|slysearch|smartdownload) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(snake|snapbot|snoopy|sogou|spacebison|spankbot|spanner|sqworm|superbot) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(superhttp|surfbot|asterias|suzuran|szukacz|takeout|teleport) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(telesoft|the.?intraformant|thenomad|tighttwatbot|titan|urldispatcher) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(turingos|turnitinbot|urly.?warning|vacuum|vci|voideye|voilabot|whacker) [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(wget|widow|wisenutbot|wwwoffle|xaldon|xenu|zeus|zyborg|anonymouse) [NC,OR]

# STARTS WITH WEB
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^web(zip|emaile|enhancer|fetch|go.?is|auto|bandit|clip|copier|master|reaper|sauger|site.?quester|whack) [NC,OR]

# ANYWHERE IN UA -- GREEDY REGEX
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*(craftbot|download|extract|stripper|sucker|ninja|clshttp|webspider|leacher|collector|grabber|webpictures).*$ [NC]

# ISSUE 403 / SERVE ERRORDOCUMENT
    RewriteRule . - [F,L]

In the preview panel it looks as if wrap is messing up the format. I tried "Quote" and "code" but it still looks messed up so I've added a .txt attachment that might be OK? It's from Friends of Apache.org
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gee....I thought it was just going to be a simple answer!
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I'll just wait for the Google Analytics!

Susan

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread