blog under new domian or in a sub folder?
    I have a question. Would it be better to start my blog under a new domain name or just put it in a sub folder at my current domain?

For instance my domain is www.number2.com.

What would work better for a blog www.number2blog.com or www.number2.com/blog

Anyone......

If the blog is going to be the main/only content on the domain I would put it in the root of the domain.
    If you are going to have other content on the domain then putting it under /blog/ might be better.

DM

The only downside to a new domain is that it will take time to be indexed in search engines. It's like starting from scratch.

If you choose to install under "domain.com/blog", you always have the option of moving it TO a new domain, and transferring pagerank (using 301). Look at your existing site, and decide if you want to capitalize on it.. if so, I would suggest installing under your primary domain.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    The only downside to a new domain is that it will take time to be indexed in search engines. It's like starting from scratch.

If you choose to install under "domain.com/blog", you always have the option of moving it TO a new domain, and transferring pagerank (using 301). Look at your existing site, and decide if you want to capitalize on it.. if so, I would suggest installing under your primary domain.
    Teezone, I asked in another thread some specific questions about this process for moving a subdirectory blog to a new domain, and I haven't gotten much help with it.

Can you explain just how I would set up the 301 redirects to do this? I have a WP blog like so:

http://www.mydomain.com/bloghere

I purchased the domain name bloghere.com

I want to move that entire blog to the new domain. I'm pretty sure I know how to do all that part.

But how do I redirect ALL the blog subdirectory "http://www.mydomain.com/bloghere"

to:

"http://www.bloghere.com"

When I do that, will that cpanel redirect function work? Or do I need to put a 301 redirect command in .htaccess? I'm not really sure about how to do either one.

And once I set up the 301 redirect, do I delete the "/bloghere" subdirectory from the original website?

Thanks for any guidance. Hope I haven't made myself TOO unclear here!
    Generate more fake news.

Ahh.. I just posted on the other thread!

Once you're all setup with the new domain, the 301 command should just be added to your .htaccess file.

That's all the cpanel function does for you - appends the .htaccess file. You can even test it it out - use the cpanel option, then take a look at the .htaccess file it has created/modified. Same end result.

It's one of those things that is very straightforward, but you have to know what you're doing as you want to make sure the transition is seamless to search engines (and readers!). I wouldn't delete the old until you're sure the new one is being picked up everywhere... no harm done leaving it for a while..

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Ahh.. I just posted on the other thread!

Once you're all setup with the new domain, the 301 command should just be added to your .htaccess file.

That's all the cpanel function does for you - appends the .htaccess file. You can even test it it out - use the cpanel option, then take a look at the .htaccess file it has created/modified. Same end result.

It's one of those things that is very straightforward, but you have to know what you're doing as you want to make sure the transition is seamless to search engines (and readers!). I wouldn't delete the old until you're sure the new one is being picked up everywhere... no harm done leaving it for a while..
    Great news. Thanks. Yeah, I just read your post in that other thread. I think I can get it worked out now.
    Generate more fake news.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread