no follow tags
    Is it necessary to add a no follow tag in the PopShops affiliate code? If so, why? And where does it get entered?

Thanks,
    Susan

I don't know if this is available for all accts. But I have an Enterprise acct and this is what I do:

Go in to "Preferences" on right hand side.

Click through to menu for "Autofeed"

Click box for "Add rel="nofollow" to all pagination links"

I do this so as not to dilute my link juice.

Just think though. To Google the nofollow tells the SE that you don't trust the site the link is to.

What do you think Google will think about your site sending customers to a site that you don't trust?

From Google:

If you're a blogger (or a blog reader), you're painfully familiar with people who try to raise their own websites' search engine rankings by submitting linked blog comments like "Visit my discount pharmaceuticals site." This is called comment spam, we don't like it either, and we've been testing a new tag that blocks it. From now on, when Google sees the attribute (rel="nofollow") on hyperlinks, those links won't get any credit when we rank websites in our search results. It's just a way to make sure that spammers get no benefit from abusing public areas like blog comments, trackbacks, and referrer lists.

Q: What types of links should get this attribute?
    A: We encourage you to use the rel="nofollow" attribute anywhere that users can add links by themselves, including within comments, trackbacks, and referrer lists. Comment areas receive the most attention, but securing every location where someone can add a link is the way to keep spammers at bay.

Q: Should I put rel="nofollow" on the link to my comments page?
    A: Probably not, because lots of interesting discussion can happen there. Also, if other people link to your comments page, a spider can follow that link and find any spam that's lurking on the comments page.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; September 14th, 2008 at 07:52 PM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

In the case of affiliate links, I don't think it's an untrusted content issue, they are all "paid links"... ie. you are compensated for conversion.

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=96569

Also, too many outbound links to one site could be perceived as spammy.

I've done a lot of research on the topic lately and (including my comment above!) it's all speculation - there doesn't seem to be a right/wrong answer wrt affiliate links. I thought a lack of nofollow may be costing me in SERP, time will tell if adding nofollow improves rankings.

It's hard to isolate any one item that improves SERP, which I find frustrating - not looking to beat the system, just trying to make an honest living.

When you have Autofeed turned on in PopShops you should definitely "nofollow" the generated page links because it is the same "page" for all of them and you can be penalized for duplicate titles and descriptions on all those dynamic pages. I learned the hard way.

ABW Ambassador
    "In the case of affiliate links, I don't think it's an untrusted content issue, they are all "paid links"... ie. you are compensated for conversion."

Just to be clear on that. When Google is talking about paid links, they're not talking about affiliate links. They're talking about the buying and selling of links for PR or SEO purposes. This came up in 2005 when Matt Cutts (Google) blogged about it - http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/text-links-and-pagerank/

"So when I say "paid links" it’s pretty safe to add in your head "paid links that flow PageRank and attempt to game Google’s rankings."

I realize paid links refers to the buying/selling of links..

There's a school of thought that suggests while you're not paid for the link, you are paid for the conversion that might happen due to traffic clicking on the link. It's a subjective interpretation, I realize, but when I reviewed sites similar to my own that were ranked higher, their affiliate links were nofollow, mine were not.

Of course there could also be many other reasons they rank higher; as well, some sites ranked below mine might also have nofollow. I've been experimenting with various SEO settings recently, this was one I opted to enable.

ABW Ambassador
    It's probably another reason why there were ranking higher. Matt Cutts himself has gone over it a few times on his blog, besides what I posted above, here's another one from last year:

"Q: Are you interested in things like affiliate links? Are you interested in hearing about directories in this report?

Matt Cutts

A: Nope, I’d be most interested in feedback like the examples that I mentioned above, or things like paid posts that might affect search engines."

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

And he even gives examples of what they mean by paid links on that page I just linked too. Some bloggers out there like to confuse the issue, some just for traffic

I myself have never used nofollow on any of my affiliate links, I don't even try to hide that they're affiliate links and I have pages with those links ranking just fine, in all the search engines. I don't think it helps, probably doesn't hurt**

** Just for me the nofollow is basically signaling to the search engines you're linking to places but don't feel those links are good enough to be counted/followed because they're paid links or some other type of links like affiliate links (which they don't even have a problem with) or you're doing it not to lose juice, which might fall under the whole doing things to manipulate the results. So I don't want to send that signal off, plus my feeling it doesn't do anything in the first place. But some will disagree so it's more personal preference.
    Last edited by Trust; September 14th, 2008 at 11:23 PM.

I hear what you're saying - I've implemented nofollow recently, but only on one site (shopping comparison with thousands of links).

My decision to test was based on reading/research (everyone has an opinion, it seems, now including me!). I do follow Matt Cutts as well.

In addition to the "paid links" theory, I thought that outbound links in the thousands to the same site (while different landing page) could perhaps lessen the quality of my site, ie. dilute the importance of the original site. I say "perhaps" as it's all subject to opinion...

My original content site is positioned very well, and extremely stable - it's dynamic product pages that keep moving up/down. Nofollow is a technique I opted to use for the time being.

Googlebot has probly moved well beyond this tag by now, but at least I'll have some firsthand experience for my own sites

Well, interesting responses....thanks. It appears that there is not a clear cut answer.

As 2busy and ladidah indicated, maybe it is more important to include the nofollow with the Autofeed selection. In fact, why would that have been added as an option if it was not thought to be the way to go?

However, I have pages where there is no Autofeed and I selected just a few items. Maybe I will leave those pages alone.

Susan

With no autofeed creating additional pages it becomes completely optional IMHO. Nofollow would also be irrelevant if you are using the javascript implementation.

Thanks. How do I know if I am using the Javascript? So far I am working with the free program, but I am thinking of upgrading. If I upgrade, do I have a choice for Javascript or something else?

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    With no autofeed creating additional pages it becomes completely optional IMHO. Nofollow would also be irrelevant if you are using the javascript implementation.
    Javascript imports to your web pages DO NOT write the content on your web page - therefore - to a SE your page is blank and of no good to the SE at all and will not have a good search rank.

If you load your page with a php call php writes the content on your web page and SE's can see it and you can get good page rank.

A javascript call will have something like

<javascript > scr=xxxxxxxxxxxx </javascript >

A php call will have something like

Code:
     <?php include_once 'topinclude.php'; ?>
    I have never used rel=nofollow on any of my websites and it has never hurt my sales or page rank.

I have thousands of pages on the first page results in Google.

Quit wasting you time talking about stuff like this and get to work building pages if you want sales.

Thanks for the info.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by schleng
    Thanks for the info.
    Susan
    You're welcome.

I use PHP for my pages. With Autofeed on it writes several pages but they all have the same identical title and description. Google gave me warnings about this problem so I turned on the nofollow option and nofollowed the pages so only the first page is indexed. I have not noticed any changes in the traffic patterns for the pages involved. The PopShops links are redirected to my sites so that might have been the reason, I don't know- but I don't generally ignore warnings from *G*.

I use PHP for my pages. With Autofeed on it writes several pages but they all have the same identical title and description. Google gave me warnings about this problem so I turned on the nofollow option and nofollowed the pages so only the first page is indexed. I have not noticed any changes in the traffic patterns for the pages involved. The PopShops links are redirected to my sites so that might have been the reason, I don't know- but I don't generally ignore warnings from *G*.
    Creation of dynamic title was discussed here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...082#post862082

Create your titles dynamically and you won't have any dupe title or content. My pages have been indexed fine and no "supplemental results" or dupe content complaints from G.

I was getting two warnings for each page: one for duplicate titles and one for duplicate descriptions. Maybe without the duplicate titles the duplicate descriptions don't get noticed? The worst that could happen is one more warning per page I guess.

2busy, I added the php script into the title, into the description and into the keywords. So the title is unique and the description, etc. as well, based on the query.

d'oh!
    Makes sense. Pays to sleep occasionally I guess. Thank you ladidah!
    OT: I would have never imagined that losing your logins and bookmarks could create so0Oo0o much uneccesary work. I still don't have access to all my aff accts. And switching to Vista (unwillingly) did not help at all. One step at a time..

For discussion on the use of "no follow," I recommend
    1. Dan Thies (also offers a free PDF, SEO Fast Start, updated for 2008)
    http://www.seofaststart.com/blog/internal-nofollow-help

2. Rand Fishkin:
    http://www.seomoz.org/blog/questions...gles-spam-guru
    An excerpt from that post:
    (Matt's precise words were: The nofollow attribute is just a mechanism that gives webmasters the ability to modify PageRank flow at link-level granularity. Plenty of other mechanisms would also work (e.g. a link through a page that is robot.txt'ed out), but nofollow on individual links is simpler for some folks to use. There's no stigma to using nofollow, even on your own internal links; for Google, nofollow'ed links are dropped out of our link graph; we don't even use such links for discovery. By the way, the nofollow meta tag does that same thing, but at a page level.
    (Emphasis is mine)
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Use the nofollow on popshops. I do. Wikipedia uses it, does that mean they don't trust anyone their pages link to? No. It's google's way of fighting spam and those that use it helping them. Perserve your link juice for your pages, not affiliate links.

Use the nofollow on popshops
    Yes, I'm going back to nofollow. The dynamic tags only work for search, not for additional pages. *G* does not search thru my pages, they follow links; and in that case the titles, descriptions and keywords all remain unchanged. If you're not having any problem with duplicate titles and descriptions, that is great but I am seeing more everytime I go to GWT and the big red WARNINGS is something I am trying to avoid.
    I suppose another way would be to create my own additional pages and turn off autofeed. I love PopShops but nothing is as easy as we wish it were.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I'm going back to nofollow. The dynamic tags only work for search, not for additional pages. *G* does not search thru my pages, they follow links; and in that case the titles, descriptions and keywords all remain unchanged. If you're not having any problem with duplicate titles and descriptions, that is great but I am seeing more everytime I go to GWT and the big red WARNINGS is something I am trying to avoid.
    I suppose another way would be to create my own additional pages and turn off autofeed. I love PopShops but nothing is as easy as we wish it were.
    I'm getting those duplicate titles/description warnings on the autofeed pages, too. It is really annoying. I've been using nofollow for all the popshops links for quite a while, but the warnings still there, maybe it take longer for G to re-visit the pages? Or will they stay there forever

I was planning to do the dynamic tags as others suggested here. But since 2busy said that it didn't work, I guess I should save myself some time then . Thanks 2busy for posting your test result.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread