How to retool your body even when you have asthma AND arthritis
    Let us say you find yourself middleaged and obese. You have high blood pressure, triglycerides and the bad cholesterol in the stratosphere, your asthma kicks into overdrive when you excercise or even just walk about a bit and you have herniated discs in your spine and advanced arthritis. what do you do? Surgery? Atkins diet? Make an appoinment with the funeral parlor?
    Not neccesary. Excercise will boost your metabolism and when you start feeling better you will very likely start making better food choices as well. What you need to do is arrange to excercise in a pain-free environment. One where you are free of your weight. This can be found at any indoor pool that you can access. Don't give a hoot what others may think of you body. You are there to make yourself feel better. The weight won't come off overnight but it will come off. You will start to feel stronger, you will be able to breath better, you will get in touch with you body in a positive way. I am talking from the most personal of experiances.

http and a telephoto
    Exercising in water is extremely beneficial. I know several people that had hip replacements that had water based exercise programs post surgery. Thanks for the reminder!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Just wanted to add that my mom who fits that description began doing basic water aerobics over a year ago and not only lost some weight but also raves about how much better and healthier she feels. In fact, if she misses a week she really notices the difference.

Most public pools (like YMCA) offer basic, cheap courses for beginner level or seniors (my mom is only 55 but gets a thrill out of being one of the youngest in her class )

Thanks for posting Terri

Cheers,
    Julia
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Share Results Network
    [email=julia@shareresults.com]julia@shareresults.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]http://www.shareresults.com[/URL]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Thank you Terri, sensible post. 15 - 20 minutes of cardio exercise daily will do wonders for one's mind, metabolism and body. Living at 8,200 feet 8 months of the year and then at sea level for 4 months, I've grown accustomed to having to recondition each year when we get back to Colorado. For those who don't have a pool handy, an elyptical, in place bike or rowing machine is also a beneficial tool in keeping the heart strong and the oxygen content in our blood healthy. But what impresses me most about exercise is the shot of energy and positive juice that flows through our bodies for several hours after a workout. It is an excellent "mind clearer" and energy boost we can all use.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks Terri. I completely agree. The best part I like about being in the pool is that when I'm swimming I can't hear anything. It's so soothing not to have music blaring, people talking, or machines whining. When we're all bombarded with noise all day it's a great break from it all.
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    No doubt, pools offer the serenity. But give me the sound of motors running, feet slapping the tread mills, hip-hop or snoop doggy dew blaring on the stereo, guys groaning in pain as the trainer challenges: "come on, cowboy up, you can do five more!" Now that's the way to build strong bodies! The pool stuff is for wimps!!

Actually, for 25 years I ran between 20 - 25 miles a week, and the sound of my feet hitting the ground beneath me was a miserable distraction that made running a real chore. I started listening to music while I ran so I would not hear it, and running became a lot more enjoyable. But my favorite water exercise is walk-wading a couple miles of current in a tail water river while dueling with wild native trout... Ar Rah!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

The pool stuff is for wimps!!
    lol.

My brother is an avid fisherman too. He says that it's hard work reeling in a 30lb salmon and I believe it. However, I think I'll stick to just a plain old workout.
    Heather Boulding
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherB
    lol.

My brother is an avid fisherman too. He says that it's hard work reeling in a 30lb salmon and I believe it. However, I think I'll stick to just a plain old workout.
    If he reels one in every 5 seconds or so then he is absolutely right. Ultimately it comes down to what works for you. I just think that no pain yet great gain is something worth trying

That's a good point Terri. I used to think that if I didn't feel pain after working out then I wasn't doing it right and I think that's a myth out there. Now, I'm embracing a more moderate exercise routine that isn't so hard on my body -- like yoga, swimming, and running
    Heather Boulding
    [t] 250.412.3247

I swear by walking.

Yep - good ol' fashioned leaning forward until one leg automatically moves forward to break your fall, repeat with the other leg...rinse and repeat.

Of course, the benefits of swimming are immense. But, if anyone is particularly self-conscious about showing their body in public, walking can work wonders.

Running isn't necessary - walking is enough.

In fact, if anyone suffers from depression, try walking around your town and making a study of rooftop architecture, or looking up into treetops.

You might be surprised at the result.

Good thread, I wanted to point out something that is very key when dealing with your overall health, specifically with regards to arthritis.

90% of advice given to anyone with this problem is based on the type of excersize they should be doing. One major thing over looked is diet. Specifically eating to lower inflammation.

If you take some time to review the advantages of eating an alkaline diet and mainting an alkaline state in the body you will notice that an immediate side effect is lowered inflammation.

Processed foods, high levels of meat and yes dairy (pasteurized milk is acidic), and other foods can all contribute to this state and only intensify inflammation based illness and discomfort.

If you apply a diet that is alkaline, based on nutrient dense foods that are whole and haven't had their enzyme content comprimised by cooking and match that to a low impact form of excersize you will see tremendous results.

Just my two cents.

Jakob

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    I totally agree with all these good points. I have been interested in healthy eating and healthy lifestyles my whole life and think positive thinking also goes a long way. If you just keep encouraging yourself and supporting yourself for the little accomplishments you have, it will motivate you to continue on the right path. It's not about what other people think of you. It's about what you think of yourself.

I agree that walking is awesome for losing weight, feeling healthier for free and anyone can do it. If anyone is interested there's actually a new healthy weight loss program that focuses on this (not trying to be spammy, it's just appropriate to the conversation: www.empowerwalk.com) I listened to the free intro and thought it would be a good option for anyone trying to loose weight.

Anyway, for all those who are trying to keep healthy even if you're just starting out, keep going. It's worth a little bit of motivation and determination to feel wonderful in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateJakob
    Good thread, I wanted to point out something that is very key when dealing with your overall health, specifically with regards to arthritis.

90% of advice given to anyone with this problem is based on the type of excersize they should be doing. One major thing over looked is diet. Specifically eating to lower inflammation.

If you take some time to review the advantages of eating an alkaline diet and mainting an alkaline state in the body you will notice that an immediate side effect is lowered inflammation.

Processed foods, high levels of meat and yes dairy (pasteurized milk is acidic), and other foods can all contribute to this state and only intensify inflammation based illness and discomfort.

If you apply a diet that is alkaline, based on nutrient dense foods that are whole and haven't had their enzyme content comprimised by cooking and match that to a low impact form of excersize you will see tremendous results.

Just my two cents.

Jakob
    There is a reason that people say "you are what you eat". If you can try to eat as many locally grown fruits and vegetables as possible. Poulty, dairy and eggs can also be purchased pretty easily from local sources. Meat and fish is another matter. You can try to get meat that is at least labeled organic but fish is a huge problem. Let's say you get localy farmed fish. Farmed fish have a multitude of problems. How about caught localy? If lakes, rivers streams and even the ocean is polluted then you are ingesting those toxins along with the healthy fish. Bah. Well nobody can be perfect and we live in the world that we live in so we can just try and do out best.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread