Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    An Addict - I Need Your Help
    Why do I do this?

It is not easy for me to admit, but I am a tab addict. Firefox, Opera, Chrome, IE...you name it, if it has tabs...well, I use them to extremes. Often I have over 100 tabs open in a browser at once and frequently I use multiple browsers.

Why so many tabs? I figure that they are a lot more visible than bookmarks, so if I find a link that contains a story that I am interested in, then a new tab is my way of trying to remember the website after I have read the story. Obviously I have a problem.

So, some tabs just sit there until I get back to them (sometimes I never do) and then eventually my browser crashes from either opening up one more YouTube video or stumbling across a site that decides to test the extreme capabilities of my pop-up blocker with the memory already maxed.

Anyone out there have similar issues? Do I just need a nice sized "FOCUS" sticker pasted somewhere near my screen? Someone please tell me that this is curable.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    Whoa. I could never get used to tabs, so still have separate windows. Right now just have 3 open. I do have way too many pages I bookmark. I have about 20 folders for bookmarks to keep them orgabized and I was looking for something the other day and it was like an endless scroll.

Ah, tabbed browsing -- YES!

I have nothing like your addition to 'em, but I do use Firefox almost exclusively and almost totally because of the tabbed feature.

I also really like Avant Browser. It uses IE, but it's much faster than IE -- AND you can preset it to always open a typed address or a search result in a new tab. That's functionality built into it that I've never understood why it isn't that way in FF.

But, 100 tabs open? Nope. That would make such a tiny, squeezed row to tabs I would think it defeats the whole point of convenience of tabs??
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager ChrisMiquel's Avatar
    I love the tabs feature on firefox and use it religiously, but in excess of 100 tabs is quite insane. I don't have more than maybe 7 tabs open at a time.

Cool
    tabs? got them in IE7 and they work fine but I'm limited by using a P3/866 with a gig of RAM.

Pull some RAM out of your computer and maybe it'll put the brakes on. Mine crashes frequently if I try to do too much.

Too too many, but I do like the tabs myself. I have one tab in Firefox set to open all the main sites I need for affiliate work, with each site's user name and passwords pre-loaded, just a quick way to check all stats etc. Other than that I tend to open up to 6 to 10 tabs at most before reading through them and closing as I go but mainly when reading ABW DIGG etc.

Perhaps adding your tabbed sites to del.icio.us and checking regularly would help?
    I know I add a few and get round to checking them eventually and being tagged properly at the time I know where they are if I need them.

If I have more then one tab open it is rare
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Sounds like you have a serious problem there. I searched all over for a way to limit the number of open tabs but came up empty handed. Here's some help with managing your tabs; www.friedbeef.com/2007/07/13/top-10-ways-best-ways-to-manage-firefox-tabs/ .
    This will take some self discipline, but given the extent of your problem I'm doubtful it will help. I believe you may have to check in to a rehab program...

X

Recognition of your "problem" is the first step to recovery.

You should be saying: "Hi, my name is sfcom, and I'm a tabaholic."

HI Sfcom!

These are the original Twelve Steps as published by Alcoholics Anonymous, but they apply to tabaholics, too!

1. We admitted we were powerless over tabsthat our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity without tabs.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of our higher power as we understood Him for help in our tabs addiction.

4. Made a searching and fearless tab moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to our higher power, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs using multiple tabs.

6. Were entirely ready to have our higher power remove all these defects of character in using multiple tabs.

7. Humbly asked our higher to remove our shortcomings over tabs.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed because of tabs, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people over our tabs wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory about tabs and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with our higher power as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us concerning tabs and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other tabaholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Join the Friends of Tabs!

If this fails, look for an inpatient program for tabs abusers.

It just may be covered by your insurance.

Provided by Tabsanonymous.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Guinn; September 16th, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
    [URL=http://www.moonshadowsfarm.com]MoonShadows Farm Country Store[/URL]
    Business Opportunities - 4 Ways to Make Money
    Affiliate, Drop Ship, Wholesale & Associate Downline

Similar - Tabs and more...
    I usually have 3-12 tabs open in a FF window at any given time, then 2-3 FF windows open on my laptop screen, then 2-10 Excel spreadsheets open on my other monitor. That's Space 1.

For those of you who don't use OSX, Spaces enables you to set-up different desktops for whatever you like.

Space 2 usually has my Apple Mail and 2-7 emails open, my IM app (Adium) and chat windows, TweetDeck, iCal (synced to my Google calendar) and my Address book.

Space 3 has iTunes and sometimes iPhoto.

Space 4 is for programs that aren't open very often, or if I just want to see what my rotating desktop picture is currently on.

Expose enables me to bounce between programs within a Space, and Ctrl Arrow enables me to skip from Space to Space. I've been told it can be somewhat bewildering to watch, but it's the easiest set-up I've ever used. I never have to look under windows to find things, and I don't have to go around and around with Alt-Tab.

I love Apple OSX.

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    Recognition of your "problem" is the first step to recovery.

You should be saying: "Hi, my name is sfcom, and I'm a tabaholic."

HI Sfcom!

These are the original Twelve Steps as published by Alcoholics Anonymous, but they apply to tabaholics, too!

1. We admitted we were powerless over tabsthat our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity without tabs.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of our higher power as we understood Him for help in our tabs addiction.

4. Made a searching and fearless tab moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to our higher power, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs using multiple tabs.

6. Were entirely ready to have our higher power remove all these defects of character in using multiple tabs.

7. Humbly asked our higher to remove our shortcomings over tabs.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed because of tabs, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people over our tabs wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory about tabs and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with our higher power as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us concerning tabs and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other tabaholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Join the Friends of Tabs!

If this fails, look for an inpatient program for tabs abusers.

It just may be covered by your insurance.

Provided by Tabsanonymous.

Jim
    And I thought I had too much time on my hands.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    And I thought I had too much time on my hands.
    I just couldn't resist!

Jim
    [URL=http://www.moonshadowsfarm.com]MoonShadows Farm Country Store[/URL]
    Business Opportunities - 4 Ways to Make Money
    Affiliate, Drop Ship, Wholesale & Associate Downline

I press Ctrl W to quickly close a tab, it works on all browser.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I consider stoopid amounts of tabs and windows open on various browsers just part of the Internet marketing experience.

Give yourself a break SFcom ... we all do it and it's not gonna grow hair on your palms.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

So you mean i am not alone? Right now I have 67 Different tabs in Safari, IE FireFox and netscape. Is there a support group? Tabs Anonymous, my name is Jody and I am a addict.

I had no idea the browsers could handle that many tabs. Typically at 10 I become afraid. You've enabled me!

This stands to reason. Late bloomer that I tend to be. Thank you for showing me how far I can take it.

FREEDOM
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

While searching for a solution for sfcom's problem I found out that the number of open tabs is limited only by the hardware resources. I also learned there is a setting in the tab properties to warn you when too many tabs are open and it's on by default. I suspect he may have turned that off one night in the dark while the family slept...

X

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    While searching for a solution for sfcom's problem I found out that the number of open tabs is limited only by the hardware resources. I also learned there is a setting in the tab properties to warn you when too many tabs are open and it's on by default. I suspect he may have turned that off one night in the dark while the family slept...
    Denial?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Awwwh, sfcom You can lean on me for support
    I'll admit it, I too have this problem. so please try to not feel so bad. I don't have it to that extent but guess when things get really goin with all the different browsers open and figuring on all the different tabs they have, the numbers would get pretty high up there.

Guess, I just realized I've got two problems now, tho. Not only am I a tabaholic, I'm a browserholic too. New chrome's not helpin me either.

If we lean on each other we can get thru this. I'm using FF, IE, Safari, AOL's, Flock and Chrome (may have missed one in there) In an effort thinking the more the merrier I might be able to get more done......

Should I try to just wean myself off of em slowly or go cold turkey?? lol
    Got different browsers set up with different stuff on em.

Am gonna try... maybe I'm admitting the problem and you have, too.....so as others have said, that's a start....we have to be strong and we'll overcome this together

ABW Ambassador
    perhaps next time you earn a high commission, you don't go out and buy a super duper computer!

180 tabs? what kind of computer do you have that can run 180 tabs in your browser?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    perhaps next time you earn a high commission, you don't go out and buy a super duper computer!

180 tabs? what kind of computer do you have that can run 180 tabs in your browser?
    That's what I was thinking! FF shuts down on me at around 40-50 tabs open. It warns me by making the roboform bar go away, if I ignore that it freezes within a few minutes....

So mine is trying to keep me from being an over the top tab-a-holic.'

We won't talk about how many windows are open between the three computers or how many excel spreadsheets, IM, notepad docs, email programs .... shhhhh.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    ...180 tabs? what kind of computer do you have that can run 180 tabs in your browser?
    I call it the old workhorse (64 bit AMD with max ram.) This laptop is about 3 years old now - was nice when I first bought it, but now is getting a little dated. (even is missing the "B" key.)

Regarding the others with a similar addiction: It is nice to see that I am not alone. Thanks for helping me feel somewhat "normal". Maybe somehow through this we can help each other find a solution. Or maybe we will just open more tabs to search for one.

-sfcom

Outsourced Program Manager Bill-MDN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    It is not easy for me to admit, but I am a tab addict.
    I feel your pain...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Whoa. I could never get used to tabs, so still have separate windows. Right now just have 3 open. I do have way too many pages I bookmark. I have about 20 folders for bookmarks to keep them organized and I was looking for something the other day and it was like an endless scroll.
    This. I can't see a benefit in opening a window (which is what it amounts to) by clicking a tab at the top of the screen instead of clicking one at the bottom. And 2 or 3 windows open at once (along with a [minimized for now] game) is enough for me.

And I'm sure I've got over 500 bookmarks.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Wow, that's a lot of tabs. I'm also a tab fanatic but realize when I have too many open I need to minimize. But seriously, to each their own. If that works for you, then great. I'm sure its keeps you on your toes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast