Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    HelpAReporter.com
    Heard about this before and finally signed up.

"You sign up (at no charge) and get your name on an email list. Each day, the site emails queries from journalists looking for examples for articles or TV interviews. If you fit the bill, you can contact the journalist directly through the site.

http://www.helpareporter.com/

I don't get it: perhaps they are not explaining it very well.

I can sign up (at no charge) and help other people (i.e. reporters - who are very likely on a wage or salary) with their work.

As I understand it I will NOT be charged for my unpaid help that I give to these salaried people with their work.

But this idea of 'not being charged' suggests that, in a slightly different scenario, I could reasonably expect to be charged to help salaried people do their jobs.

I don't want to sound too sarcastic, and maybe I didn't read or understand properly, but, as I say, maybe it's not explained very well - because I just don't get it.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    hh, it's yet another opportunity for you to promote your site(s) for free, which is why Trust placed this in the "Effective Advertising" forum

Hi Seymour,
    Are you saying it's "help a reporter = get a backlink?"

Now I'm wondering - what's a back link worth?
    I know - people say backlinks are gold in this business.
    But if somebody asks me a serious question - and the answer is to be in writing - I know it's going to take somewhere from 8 to 100 hours for me to deal with it.

Being inexperienced, I don't really know where the leverage and sweet spots are in this business.
    Is one backlink worth 100 hours of my time?
    How about 50 hours?
    20?
    2?

If it's 2 then maybe I should help a reporter - if I can work fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hairy_hermit
    But if somebody asks me a serious question - and the answer is to be in writing - I know it's going to take somewhere from 8 to 100 hours for me to deal with it.
    hairy_hermit, it appears that these reporters are looking for "sources" of information or facts, not articles. If it takes you 8 to 100 hours to provide the information that they're looking for, then more than likely you aren't the appropriate source for that particular subject. If, however, you have an expertise on a particular subject or have in-depth or inside information on that subject than you may be a good resource.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    These are reporters looking for someone to interview. There is no writing involved for you. You get exposure and get to position yourself as an expert in your field. If you don't want to do it, then you don't
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I love HARO! I get three emails a day that are filled with different requests for help. Some are a little bogus to me (like people with blogs who just want free products to review). But most are legitimate reporters looking for sources for stories. I've been interviewed for being a work at home mom, an attorney that started my own business, and a mom in Indianapolis. Sometimes it pans out to give me exposure and sometimes it doesn't. But when it does, it is great free press!
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Just signed up, thanks for the link Trust.

Helpingmoms

Sometimes those blogs that look like they only want free info have a following and the backlink actually gets real eyeballs to your site. I would not underestimate them.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Trust!

And thanks to whomever bumped this thread.

Thanks for the link Trust. Sounds like something definitely worthwhile to check out.

http and a telephoto
    Sometimes old thread bumps are a *good* thing
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Helpingmoms

Sometimes those blogs that look like they only want free info have a following and the backlink actually gets real eyeballs to your site. I would not underestimate them.
    I have no problem giving free information to get back links or even just your name out there. I meant more the ones that just want to do reviews on their sites of products and want the products given to them free. I'm probably just jealous because I pay for most of the stuff that I do all of my reviews on. LOL!

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

I totally understand that lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Found this article pretty interesting

http://racetalkblog.com/2008/08/19/p...-a-pr-problem/

I think he has a good concept and will give it a shot.

http and a telephoto
    "Someone" got a mention in this mornings HARO after posting a photo of our office during the livecast he did last Friday What Shankman doesn't know is that there is an article about the livecast on the blog but it isn't linked from the photo, the photo is just up there by itself, lol.
    Deborah Carney

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Wow, thanks guys. I moonlight as a reporter for a small finance/accounting publication based in Chicago, and I'm so glad to know people like you are at the other end of it! Definitely going to give this a try for my next article, what a great idea.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    I moonlight as a reporter
    Dang girl - take some time for yourself! You do way too much. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    LOL, whatever Rexanne... you guys go 24/7 too!

I just got done doing a podcast interview thanks to HARO, and a couple weeks ago I was interviewed for an article by a popular tech news site. So I'd say HARO is turning out to be a nice outlet.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

CPA Network Rep
    I've been signed up for Help A Reporter for quite a few months and they basically just spam you with newsletters three times a day. I tried to submit an article to one of their topics a few times but never got accepted. It was a complete waste of time.

ABW Ambassador
    Spam? Do you even know what that word means? You signed up for it. And they send you what you signed up for and then you call it Spam. It's not a waste of time if you get some media mentions out of this. I wouldn't expect everything you submit to be used because others are submitting as well.

It definitely takes patience. I probably sent back 10 before I got a response. But I got an email the other day that I have been included in an ebook about affiliate video! It's only a couple of mentions, but it was still exciting. They have my name as well as a link to my main website along with my quotes. That in itself was worth it.

I just had a couple quotes published in an article thanks to HARO including a nice link back to my website.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've been signed up there for a while, but most of the requests aren't about anything I want to promote. Still, it seems like a good idea.

I did get interest about one item that was an exact match for a request...until I told her I don't send out free samples. She's got a radio show, but it's only for one city. A single mention on a 1-city show...if calculated minute-for-minute, I could probably buy a radio ad for cheaper than it would have cost me to give her the item. (Too bad radio stations always want to sell advertisers more than one ad!)

But I keep looking on HARO for something that fits, that isn't from a mooch.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast