WP automatic plugin updating worthless since 2.6
    I know others at the WP.org forums have had problems as have I, but has anyone here found the automatic plugin updating function worthless since version 2.6.X?

I THINK it was still working to do automatic updates of plugins through WP 2.5.1. But I KNOW since 2.6 versions, it hasn't worked on my blogs.

I've read in the WP forum many, many people have had this problem, but some have not. I don't understand what it might be about the configuration of my server that could be causing it, because it worked flawlessly in all my blogs through version 2.5.x.

But since 2.6 -- all is mayhem when I click the button in my plugin dashboard to update a plugin that has an update available. Generally, it shows me step-by-step messages that it's working until it reaches the step where it tells me that it was unable to remove the old plugin and that the update failed. Usually that leaves the old version of the plugin in place but deactivated. Sometimes the old version disappears from the plugin dashboard, and when I check it via ftp some or all of the plugin files are missing from their folder and I need to reupload it by ftp.

Anyone else here having such issues with the automatic plugin updating?
    Generate more fake news.

There was recently an update to the automatic updater. I haven't tried an update since 2.6.1 but I see that 2.6.2 is available and automatic updater is inviting me to update. I don't want to be the first to find out what plugins don't work anymore..give the plugins folks a few days to do their updates first but if you didn't update the updater, that might be the problem.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Gary are you talking about the PLUGIN that updates wordpress or the plugin updating feature that has been with wordpress since around 2.5?

I upgraded last week from WP 2.5.x to 2.6.2 using WordPress Automatic Upgrade 1.2.2

no problems at all, updated fine.

I must add, Gary, you were the one that posted here about the plugin (thank you) and I was amazed to see how easy it was. I was dreading to upgrade but it all went very easy.

Are all other plugins deactivated when you upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Gary are you talking about the PLUGIN that updates wordpress or the plugin updating feature that has been with wordpress since around 2.5?
    *sigh* yeah, I figured there would be confusion on that.

I'm talking about the feature that allows you to update plugins with a single click which I think did start with 2.5.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE AUTO UPDATE PLUGIN. I see everyone who's posted was confused about the way I stated it.

Sorry for the confusion.

I know the automatic update plugin is working. I just updated a couple of blogs from 2.6 and 2.6.1 to 2.6.2 today using it.

But what I have had all the grief with is the feature in the plugin listings in the dashboard which says something like this: "Download version 1.4.6.14 here or upgrade automatically."

Before version 2.6, clicking the "upgrade automatically" link would go through the update process for that particular plugin.

Hope that's more clear.

I really, REALLY got to rely on that working. The worst part is that on some blogs it will work, and on some it won't.

From my experience, and from what I've found searching the wordpress.org forums, on some blogs it works -- on some it doesn't. And it doesn't seem to be reliant on the blog theme, folder permissions on the server, etc.

Not only that, but those of us who have reported the problem on the forum at WP.org are just ignored or treated like it's probably something we're doing wrong.

Pretty widespread though. Wish someone at wordpress.org would give a bit more thought to working out such issues instead of issuing new versions every two or three weeks. Yeah, I know each version is to fix a problem or a security leak, so I don't wish to sound that nasty about it. LOL!

The irritating thing is to have a blog with 10-15 plugins and have to go back to the old way of downloading an update and FTPing it to the site.
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I just tried updating some plugins one one of my sites that still has the non-mu version 2.6.2 and I was able to update plugins automatically.

Of course there are some plugin makers that haven't complied to the rules so their plugin disappears from the list. (they put the plugin in a subfolder inside the folder when they shouldn't)
    This has been happening since the feature was released.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    *sigh* yeah, I figured there would be confusion on that.

I'm talking about the feature that allows you to update plugins with a single click which I think did start with 2.5.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE AUTO UPDATE PLUGIN. I see everyone who's posted was confused about the way I stated it.

Sorry for the confusion.

I know the automatic update plugin is working. I just updated a couple of blogs from 2.6 and 2.6.1 to 2.6.2 today using it.

But what I have had all the grief with is the feature in the plugin listings in the dashboard which says something like this: "Download version 1.4.6.14 here or upgrade automatically."

Before version 2.6, clicking the "upgrade automatically" link would go through the update process for that particular plugin.

Hope that's more clear.

I really, REALLY got to rely on that working. The worst part is that on some blogs it will work, and on some it won't.

From my experience, and from what I've found searching the wordpress.org forums, on some blogs it works -- on some it doesn't. And it doesn't seem to be reliant on the blog theme, folder permissions on the server, etc.

Not only that, but those of us who have reported the problem on the forum at WP.org are just ignored or treated like it's probably something we're doing wrong.

Pretty widespread though. Wish someone at wordpress.org would give a bit more thought to working out such issues instead of issuing new versions every two or three weeks. Yeah, I know each version is to fix a problem or a security leak, so I don't wish to sound that nasty about it. LOL!

The irritating thing is to have a blog with 10-15 plugins and have to go back to the old way of downloading an update and FTPing it to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I just tried updating some plugins one one of my sites that still has the non-mu version 2.6.2 and I was able to update plugins automatically.

Of course there are some plugin makers that haven't complied to the rules so their plugin disappears from the list. (they put the plugin in a subfolder inside the folder when they shouldn't)
    This has been happening since the feature was released.
    I can see where that would create a problem. But in every case where I have the feature fail, it does so with every plugin I try to update on that particular blog.

I have, I think, two blogs where the feature still works -- and it works with plugins that won't work on blogs where the feature is failing. So I surmise it's not the plugin in my case.

Very puzzling and frustrating. Back to the "old fashioned" ftp method, I guess, for most of my blogs.

Since every blog I have is a domain hosted on the same VPS account, I do not understand at all why it'll work with one or two blogs, but suddenly not work with the others. Nothing different in the PHP setup with any of the blogs.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Since every blog I have is a domain hosted on the same VPS account, I do not understand at all why it'll work with one or two blogs, but suddenly not work with the others. Nothing different in the PHP setup with any of the blogs.
    I love to quote myself, as all good (?) writers do, but that's not why I'm quoting myself here.

I wanted to update this whole issue with an interesting discovery I made accidentally: If I install WP 2.6.2 MANUALLY instead of letting fantastico do it, or instead of updating it via the automatic WP update, the feature for one-click updating plugins seems to work.

I've manually installed WP 2.6.2 on two domains in recent days, then gone into the plugin dashboard to one-click auto upgrade some plugins -- and the feature worked perfectly.

Odd.
    Generate more fake news.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread