http and a telephoto
    What charity would/do you support? Why?
    We are headed into October which is Breast Cancer awareness month, Mellie has announced her intention to walk for NF, a team of dedicated AMs led by Missy Ward just finished a 3 day walk, Kim has announced her intention to walk. Here at ABW we have a huge community of people that support a variety of charities and fundraising needs. I have 3 separate charities I personally support.

My question today is: who is *your* favorite charity and why? (yes there is a reason for this and it will be announced later in the week and be ongoing). If you don't want to answer here in the thread, send me a PM or an email at dc at loxlygallery dot com.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I can't say that I have a favourite charity as such, in that I couldn't name one directly. In general though, cancer research charities would be in the top slot followed by Alzheimer research and then charities that help children or animals.

Sue.

I usually don't discuss my charitable giving, but if talking about it and explaining why I give will spur others to contribute, I'm all for it. My charitable contributions are intensely personal. Some of the personal reasons I will reveal here, some I won't. I mainly support health-related charities, charities that help the poor and disadvantaged, and animal related charities. And if any of you decide to contribute because of this post, I will be deeply grateful and honored by the gesture.

Here is to whom I give and why.. in no particular order. I don't have a favorite, or maybe I just have a whole lot of favorites. LOL. They all fulfill important roles in our community. I considered just PMing this to Loxly, but decided that it'd do greater good out here for the world to see. Please give a little, even if it's just $5. Every bit helps. And if you already give, please share your reasons too!

1) I support March of Dimes because there have been premies and difficult pregnancies in my family. I want every woman to be able to have the health care they need to deliver happy, healthy babies.

2) Alzheimer's and related research. My grandmother suffered from dementia, and although technically not alzheimer's, it was very similar. She didn't recognize her family before she died. It was a very long, very painful decline. No family should have to suffer that way.

3) Diabetes research. There is an established history of diabetes in my family and in my husband's family. I'm also at very high risk for it, but fortunately do not have it yet.

4) Cancer research. I know far too many people who've dealt with all sorts of cancer. It's a horrible disease that needs to be cured.

5) Charities and food banks that clothe, house, and feed the poor and victims of disasters. Some of my family came from very humble beginnings and have been blessed. I'm always mindful of that and want to give back.

6) I also give to charities that assist police, firefighters, military and their families. They and their families sacrifice a lot for the important job they do. I simply could not do what these people do and I want to show my appreciation. All of you ABWers out there reading this who've served your communities and/or your country, thank you very much!

7) Toys for Tots! Toys=fun+joy. Every kid deserves that.

8) Make-a-Wish Foundation/Children's Miracle Network. I don't think this one needs much explanation. I have a soft spot for sick kids.

9) The ASPCA and our local animal shelter. Rescued animals make the best pets. They're incredibly loving and they deserve a second chance at a good home. People who abuse and neglect animals are lower than dog poop.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I won't try to restate the great explanations by meadowmufn wrote above.

So far this year, I know that we've donated (by check or credit card) to:

(1) American Cancer Society - (a) because it's a good organization funding important research and programs, (b) because my wife's grandmother died of cancer this year, and others in her family have suffered from cancer (c) because our next-door neighbor is dying of cancer, and (d) because my wife is the local chairperson for the ARC Relay for Life event here in Hayward.

(2) National Kidney Foundation - because some folks here on ABW asked for help.

(3) Alzheimer's Association, because they're also doing important research and because my wife's grandmother suffered from Alzheimer's for many years until her death this year, and my stepdaughter's great-grandmother is suffering from it now.

(4) American Red Cross - for disaster relief.

I know our family has also dropped cash for small charitable donations a number of times this year (more than I'd like; I prefer making donations with a check or credit card, not only to maintain tax records but also to insure that the funds actually reach the intended destination). We've also donated quite a bit of "stuff" to local schools and to local non-profit "thrift stores."

I've also made political campaign contributions this year (for the first time in a decade), because I think our country is in crisis and I strongly hope for change this year.

My side of the family mostly dies of heart disease or stroke, usually after suffering from diabetes, but I haven't donated to charities for those causes yet this year. (My health insurance company and I do pay a hefty chunk of money each month through the supply chain to Big Pharmaceutical companies for medications to treat cholesterol, blood-pressure, diabetes, thyroid, and depression.)
    Last edited by markwelch; September 18th, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    (2) National Kidney Foundation - because some folks here on ABW asked for help.
    Ah, forgot about that one. I donated to that as well. I knew someone with a spouse who was dealing with kidney disease. If a friend or family member requests donations for a worthy cause, I try to contribute if I can.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Hospice Care - I know so many people (including my grandfather) who's final days were made so much easier due to their care.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My largest contributions go to the National Osteoporosis Foundation. My mother died of an infection she contracted after undergoing surgery to repair a broken hip that resulted from a fall. Had she not had severe osteoporosis she would not have broken her hip and she'd probably still be alive. I have osteopenia which is what you get on your way to osteoporosis. (Petite women are especially vulnerable to bone loss.)

However, my passion is The Nature Conservancy. I love that they are preserving vital habitat for migratory birds and other wildlife *and* humans who have access to non-motorized recreation and educational opportunities in preserved areas. They tie together those issues I'm most engaged in including habitat preservation, wildlife conservation, and environmentally conscious recreation and education.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    CASA

Court Appointed Special Advocates. These volunteers are appointed by the courts to help represent children caught up in the court system when they are removed from homes by Child Protective Services.

There is a special place in Heaven for these volunteers.

I have a strong passion for it because we worked closely with them when we adopted our daughter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Affiliate Manager
    We're currently supporting Autism Speaks via this thread. We've worked with quite a few others in the past.

Most of my personal donations goes to the American Cancer Society.

Bob

charity
    while i usually don't discuss charity stuff in public but in the 10-15 years i've been doing this (as an affiliate) i'v donated quite a bit of money to the spca (2nd chance animal fund, combating animal cruelity, injurys, volunteering at spca) and red cross and the familys of the september 11th tragedy.

I am currently supporting organization in helping find a new orphanage for rwanda orphans who lost there family due to aids, malaria and the genacide.

in any case Autism, PTSD, ADHD is probably gonna be next, I would never support Autism Speaks though, if you look at there tax information for 2007 they didn't spend anything on helping autism, but for advertising and jet expenses and I do not agree with there organization and operation, I know people who have Autism,aspergers.

Anyway thats my thoughts on this issue.
    Last edited by jc101; September 19th, 2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added charity i missed

http and a telephoto
    Good thoughts here, and in the PMs I have received, thank you. I find it interesting that most people support multiple charities, in the past I focused mostly on two, but looking back now I see that I actually support several also. I am also looking for the right charities to support for specific reasons.

In the past I spent 20 years heavily involved with the Rochester Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association in both awareness activities and fundraising, combining the two where ever we could. My entire family was involved, Liz grew up spending every Labor Day weekend on TV with her brothers, doing interviews, and helping me with the MDA telethon behind the scenes. She grew up working on fundraising events like sports auctions and dinners, bowl-a-thons, and many other events. My sons Chris and Dan (for the newcomers) had Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which comes under the umbrella of the MDA supported conditions, and is the childhood form of Lou Gehrigs Disease (ALS).

Many years ago MDA did a lot more than research, of course research is *very* important, but in the beginning they actually built ramps on houses and purchased wheelchairs or covered the portion not covered by insurance, plus they covered physical therapy and other types of equipment. We we the recipients of some of that support when the boys were young. In addition though, I plan to support another organization that picks up where MDA is unable to continue to help, and that is the Families of SMA organization.

The Make A Wish Foundation enabled my son Dan and I to take a "dream trip" to Los Angeles (our first trip west) so that he could meet the head writer of General Hospital, which at the time was Bob Guza. As a bonus he got to spend time on the set, and also met with Wendy Rich. He gave the cast a script he had written and they all autographed it and sent it back to us. A couple of cast members were so inspired by Dan's visit that they corresponded with him for a while afterwards. It was Bob Guza that inspired Dan to get involved with the original Project Greenlight, back when it was a message board and a contest that involved the community. That community became his second home, he met his girlfriend there and helped start a NYC organization for aspiring playwrights and movie scriptwriters.

My sister and several aunts, uncles and grandparents died from lung cancer, so I am looking for an organization that will support research into cures for that horrible disease.

I support Susan B Komen Breast Cancer research because that is just something I need to do. My friends are involved, I worked for an Oncologist that specialized in Breast Cancer and saw the devastation it causes.

Wow, this got longer than I planned, but I figured since I asked, I should share mine also.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Teach For America and DonorsChoose.org. Both are great non-profits that support the K-12 system we have here in the states. I truly believe the achievement gap we have here in the US (and the low college grad rates across income groups) is the biggest challenge our nation is facing - it is impacting every single other area of our lives. Including environmentalism (lack of education = lack of environmentally responsible behavior). Which is also a very important issue.

I forgot to mention Kiva ... it's not really a "traditional" charity but is registered as such. I like the feeling of being able to help individual people who are working to help themselves.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread