Internet Withdrawl - 3 days no power
    We had the remnants of Ike come blowing through Ohio on Sunday and knocked power out to about 2 million across the state. All day Sunday it was 'on and off', then Sunday night it forgot to do the "on" part!!

I got my power back yesterday. I didn't realize how much time I spend online until I could not get online and would sit at the desk looking longingly at my screen. When the power came back I knew I was so far behind I couldn't play around so I only spent a few hours reading ABW with a 'no-posting' policy... I knew if I started I'd never get anything done. Glad to say that policy has been rescinded!

It was certainly nothing like what happened to the Texas coast, but what a pain in the butt it's been the last few days. Anyone have any issues from Ike?
    Last edited by knight01; September 18th, 2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: forgot a word
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Affiliate Manager
    I lost power for a couple hours but fortunately missed the worst part. About 100K people still without power around Columbus. Our offices were barely spared...one side of 270 had power, the other side didn't and still doesn't.

Bob

Welcome back, 3 days is brutal, no power is one thing but no ABW (J/K)

I'm glad your safe and other ABWers affected by IKE, he was a doozy indeed.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Damn, I would have had the screaming meemies. I lost my internet service for one day last week and you should have heard me on the phone to Roadrunner. I was not my usual sweet self.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drumm
    I lost power for a couple hours but fortunately missed the worst part. About 100K people still without power around Columbus. Our offices were barely spared...one side of 270 had power, the other side didn't and still doesn't.

Bob
    Dayton still has about 120,000 in the dark, but that is a huge improvement.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Damn, I would have had the screaming meemies. I lost my internet service for one day last week and you should have heard me on the phone to Roadrunner. I was not my usual sweet self.
    This was one of those times you couldn't yell at anyone... no one was taking calls, they went directly to an announcement only machine.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Welcome back, 3 days is brutal, no power is one thing but no ABW (J/K)

I'm glad your safe and other ABWers affected by IKE, he was a doozy indeed.
    It was tougher yesterday, trying to catch up with posts. I wanted to jump in but knew I'd never get the things done that had to be done! Now I can cruise through the rest of the catching up...
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    We had the remnants of Ike come blowing through Ohio on Sunday and knocked power out to about 2 million across the state. All day Sunday it was 'on and off', then Sunday night it forgot to do the "on" part!!

I got my power back yesterday.
    Glad you got your power back. I follow the news fairly close via TV and wasn't even aware of the Northern problems.

The devastation in Galveston, damage in Houston, the financial crisis, and election have absorbed most of the media attention.

SW Louisiana took a hit with Ike almost as bad as Rita 3 years ago, but that didn't get much play either. My brother-in-law who had 5 feet of water with Rita got 2 feet with Ike. Louisiana had a program called "Road Home" that fixed his house up after Rita but invested no money in increasing the elevation. He was trying to stay in the house without power and is a serious alcoholic. We had to have him picked up by the sheriff and hospitalized last night.

Definitely coulda felt your pain knight01.
    Mine wasn't weather related at all, somebody did work down the street from me and evidently somebody made a bad splice. Had dsl so lost my internet and phone last Wed. They said it woulda been til at least Mon. til they fixed it. Still don't know how they can leave people without a phone for all that time unless they're havin problems weather related. Uhhh, now all of ya try to contain yourselves and don't get into hysterics but probably one of the few people that doesn't have a cell phone. Husband has one for his business (construction, so he's out in the middle of no man's land so really needs it) He left it home with me tho in case I needed one.

By Friday we decided to just get rid of the dsl, he went and got the kit for cable and hooked it up then network stuff so by Friday night I had it back at least. He said my little eyes sparkled and I started to perk up then. Can't really afford to have the cable but we don't wanna be held hostage by the phone company again either. They won't even give a credit for all that time without it either.

My complaining is teeny weeny tho compared to those hit by Ike.
    Really sorry Bumpaw bout your brother in law

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I am up to day 7 with no power at home.

There is a cold front swing through Texas so sleeping at night is not that bad but the cold showers.. burrr...

Internet Withdrawl - 3 days no power
    am up to day 7 with no power at home
    I know the feeling!

Three years ago when Katrina left me in the dark for over two weeks, all I wanted most during those lonely days, was just to find a live socket on where I could plug my computer.

Glad your power's back. I am sure it will be a long time before things are normal for many. The devastation I see on the news is unbelievable.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

We got hit here too but only lost power for a couple hours so I ran mostly on my UPS battery backup. I couldn't go 3 days, not even on vacation so I have 2 laptops, 2 batteries for each, a UPS system and when those all run down it will be the generator.

We had big trees down all over the city. The police scanner was running and it was non-stop calls for police, rescue and fire. I glad you lasted through it. Now you just have to stay up all night and catch up

Back when I was on the fire dept. we had a tornado hit our district about a 1/4 mile from our house. My wife and daughter were in the basement and I was looking and listening at the back door because I knew something was going to happen with the swirling clouds. By the time the tornado touched down it was dark so I couldn't see it but I heard it well enough. A few minutes later my fire dept. radio sounded and my wife yells up from the basement "Don't you dare leave us here!" LOL, she was pretty scared and she knew I almost always responded to the calls. I actually had to think about it a couple minutes before deciding to stay with my wife and daughter-which is probably why I'm still married after 29 years
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Ike was the third storm that passed too close to us and we had weeks of nothing but rain. Power outages every few hours that lasted for a few hours mostly. One outage was 3 days. When the power goes off so does the water so it was ickier than 'camping'. Power problems burned out my two main computers so once power was restored there was only time for file recovery where possible and setting up new systems for everything. I could get into ABW on my phone, but couldn't login anywhere, so it was all read only. Getting back to normal now.
    We didn't have nearly the kind of damage I see in various places online, and our problems are trivial compared to what those in the path got, but Ike was bad from one end to the other everywhere it went. I am thankful it was only a close call or we'd still be offline.

Looks like I spoke to soon, power stayed up but time warner went down for about 5 hours this afternoon. I've got road runner internet and just felt those 3 days of frustration come right back.

Of course this is nothing compared to what Eric and the others in Texas and Louisiana are facing. I hope it doesn't appear I'm trying to compare the inconvenience with loss of life or property, just needed to vent some frustration as it didn't seem that serious of a storm to me, jsut high wind for an extended period of time. I worry what would happen if we actually had an emergency around here.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    SW Louisiana took a hit with Ike almost as bad as Rita 3 years ago, but that didn't get much play either. My brother-in-law who had 5 feet of water with Rita got 2 feet with Ike. Louisiana had a program called "Road Home" that fixed his house up after Rita but invested no money in increasing the elevation. He was trying to stay in the house without power and is a serious alcoholic. We had to have him picked up by the sheriff and hospitalized last night.
    Certainly sad to hear about your situation bumpaw.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Hi everyone, just like to say I feel for all you, affected by these storms and natural disasters. I hope everything gets back to "normal" for you all. some of us are a little more fortunate in that we don't have life threatening situations to deal with.

I only have Trojan viruses, computer crashes and re installs to worry about. They can be a real pain. Offline, for days getting it all sorted. Online and reinstalling operating systems (long waiting times) and then there are all the lost files angst and then having to revisit dozens of sites to hook up again.

God bless, keep safe.

Stratplayer1

We didn't get much rain but we got a lot of hurricane force winds here in Western Kentucky.

They said on TV here last night that there are 400,000 home in Ky that still don't have power - 24,000 of them in Western Ky.

I was lucky - our power was only out about 2 hours. Lots of tree damage though.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Day 8- no power. Beginning to live the simple life

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Day 8- no power. Beginning to live the simple life
    We are only 2 in a good size house just South of Lafayette. Come on over and camp out here if it gets to bad.

Sometimes I'm not sure which is worse. Being disconeccted from the lifeblood that is the net for me OR being connected and not seeming to be able to block out all the bad news streaming in about the economy.

Cellular Modem has SAVED me
    Hello all - long time, no post. Missed you guys and SO many new 'faces'!

Coming to you from Seabrook, TX here - we are Day 10 and told we won't have full service until sometime AFTER the 25th.

ANYONE who lives in this area needs a power invertor and a cell modem. It has saved us from being completely isolated from the world.

Power inverter plugs into car cigarette lighter, add single heavy gauge outdoor extension cord - now you can at least charge your cell phone, laptop and whatever else.

My cell modem actually failed after 4 days, but Verizon immediately overnighted another to me.

Even if you are not in an emergency or disaster situation now, it is worth it to have these items. The monthly cell bill is just for my modem and is an additional expense, but it's deductible!

Highly recommended!

-Kim
    - I am not young enough to know everything

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    I feel everyone's pain without power! I lost mine for about 4 days (east central Ohio) and I was going bonkers!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    We are only 2 in a good size house just South of Lafayette. Come on over and camp out here if it gets to bad.
    Thanks for the offer. I got power back over the weekend. It was an intersting 2 weeks.

South of Lafayette.. New Iberia? I used to live there for a bit. Sure miss the crawfish boils.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread