Affiliate Manager
    WordPress blog software question
    I've been hearing that wordpress has very good and FREE software for running a blog. So I went to google to find and download it. I discovered there is a wordpress.com AND a wordpress.og.

arrghhhh. I need advice. Which of these is the one that folks recommend?

Thanks,
    BTshoes

Wordpress.org is where you will find the downloadable software to install wordpress on your own hosting account @ yourdomain.com, wordpress.com is if you want a free blog @ yourname.wordpress.com.

In my opinion wordpress.org is better, you can install all of the wp plugins or themes you like on your own host while wordpress.com limits what you can do.

@BTshoes:

It's also possible that, assuming you have a webhosting account somewhere, your webhost may offer a pretty simple installatoin process for WordPress. If you are hosting with a company that offers cpanel and Fantastico, you probably can look under your cpanel Fantastico options and find an easy way to install WordPress there.

And, yeah, if you're serious about getting a blog going, you really need to go with the self-hosting WordPress.org. On the other hand, if you're simply looking for a personal blog with limited options and limited tweaking ability, WordPress.com is a decent free hosting way to go.
    Generate more fake news.

Defiinately wordpress.org where you can download the software/script and install it in your hosting.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    .com is a free host.
    .org has the software.

Affiliate Manager
    wordpress
    Great answers! So now another round of questions. I do want to use this in conjunction with our website. I currently use typepad.com but am starting a new blog and have heard that wordpress seems to be much more search engine friendly than typepad. I thought it was free but I want the more robust version so will pay. The question: between typepad and wordpress - is there much difference in search engine friendliness? In ease of use?

BTShoes

You may want to look int expression engine
    www.expressionengine.com

Quote Originally Posted by BTshoes
    I currently use typepad.com but am starting a new blog and have heard that wordpress seems to be much more search engine friendly than typepad. I thought it was free but I want the more robust version so will pay.
    The wordpress software IS free. You can download it from http://wordpress.org/download/

Wordpress.com is a free hosting site that uses the software from wordpress.org (and it owned by the same folks). But there is nothing you can do on wordpress.com that you can't do on your own site with the real software. And you can do much more on your own site because of all the plugins and themes you can use.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    As writerguy suggests, just find the wordpress option on your server control panel. One click downloads it to whatever subdirectory you define. I might be incorrect, but I would think that having the blog on the same domain as a static site that relates to it will help both with respect to SEO, particularly if you interlink. That's what I have doing anyway. Also, if you host the blog (rather than WP), you can place contextual advertising.

When I put up a new blog post, I will often write up a little snippet from a relevant page on my static site. And often I will link back to a static page within the blog post if relevant to the blog post.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I second with expressengine as well.

ABW Ambassador
    Keep in mind that, depending on your host, Fantastico may not provide the latest version w/ bug & security fixes...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    Keep in mind that, depending on your host, Fantastico may not provide the latest version w/ bug & security fixes...
    Always a good idea to check that. Within the Fantastico dashboard on your server, you should be able to see what version of WP they are offering.

I've found that most hosts are willing to try to update their Fantastico to the latest version of WP -- but, of course, sometimes Fantastico itself doesn't update immediately.
    Generate more fake news.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread