Website Design - Who knows? I don't.
    I am certain that you probably can't find a better place to ask this question than on A Best Web. I also fear the lashing I might get for asking such a "dumb" question to all of you. So here goes.... I have never built a website before. I have never had ANYTHING to do with the building of a website.

What suggestions do you have for me? All I need to do is build a very simple page. I want to be able to import a few pix to it and that's all. Write a little bit about what it's about, contact info., etc. VERY simple. Who should I have host it? Comcast will host a site for me, for free, if I'm not mistaken.... etc. etc. etc.

In advance, thanks. I really appreciate your time and effort to reply. :-)

Cool
    while eventually you will probably study html, get a domain name, and buy into better hosting, I think you can find everything you want to start out at tripod.com.

What is the purpose of the page? If it's a personal site, use Comcast. If it's for business and will need search engine exposure, purchase hosting and a domain. Then learn a little HTML to build your page. There are many tutorial sources available online...

X

If you are looking to do affiliate marketing in a professional manner, you should choose a hosting company to house your website's files. Utilizing a "free" host or an ISP account is really limiting your future ability to grow your business. There are some really good hosting companies out there, but beware the skewed reviews that you will find online about them. Often these are from somewhat reckless affiliates (in many cases) who just like the commissions that they pay and not the service itself.

Search for "hosting" or "shared hosting". Get some printouts and line up the grid of their features next to one another and see which one best suits your pricing and technical needs on a starter level and also offers room to grow. Check the BBB for complaints and their overall performance record by seeing if there are many who had problems with them previously.

Often these packages will come with a website builder where it is WYSIWYG. Very easy and basic designs are their main focus. Once you understand more of how to make things appear correctly with both images and links, you can move on to a website design program that you purchase separately. Then you can go to Cnet.com to get a review of the different web design programs that are out there and see if one suits your skill level. They are listed under developer tools > webpage creation. A few there are free and many are free to try. Don't lose focus though. If you try them all, you will be confused. Just try the top 3-4 that interest you - at the most.

Hope this helps. If I didn't welcome you before, welcome to ABW!

-sfcom

Thanks for your advice
    Thanks you everyone. It is just simply for a very simple page and it will be business related. I also want to eventually make it onto search engines so I'll take that into consideration. Thanks.

Re: A website
    Hi!

It's never too late to jump into uncharted territory in order to learn a new industry.

There are a few options for non-designers. One is to find some free or pay template sites. They can be very basic and as long as you learn how to upload them to your server, you are good to go. Also, there are many different text editors out there that will help you translate your pages into HTML documents for the web.

Another option is to get a blog going from wordpress and blogger that's always an easy way to get your feet wet and you don't have to deal with hosting or uploading issues.

Best of luck, there is a lot of good information here.

Dear sfcom:

I am in the same "want to start a new website" boat, and your post was most informative and helpful. Just wanted to say thank you.

I have found this to be a great place to find out what you don't know. You get the straight facts first and then the opinions. Take what you will.

Welcome to the wonderful world of online business.

You have gotten some good advice so far: Domain name and hosting are the top two things you should invest in. Do a little research before jumping in and remember the Search Function on ABW is your friend
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread